Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Wickerman2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Having an issue with the DD relay which engages when you max out vari-target and lights Special light in left side lane. The relay comes on as it should, when it should but the force of either of the flippers being engaged will make it disengage and turn off the special...the flippers are only a few inches away from the relay. Similarly if you whack the underside of the playfield near the relay it will disengage.

So, question is, what do I need to do to make it withstand the snap/jolt of the flippers? It seems to click in nice and solid--you really have to hit the bottom of the playfield to get it to disengage...but the flippers are apparently just right to do that.

#2 4 years ago

Unless it is a trip and latch relay, there is probably a dirty "hold" switch on it. A normally open switch that when the relay is closed, keeps power applied to the relay coil thereby holding it on. If the switch is barely closed or dirty, vibration could cause it to open and allow the relay to drop out. Once the relay is open again, there is nothing to pull it back in.

However, if the Vari target is held in place once maxed out, then it could be a contact on the Vari-target that is used to hold the relay in. Its been ages since I played one and I don't have a schematic to look at just now.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

However, if the Vari target is held in place once maxed out, then it could be a contact on the Vari-target that is used to hold the relay in.

Vari-Target works as it should...it's just the Bonus Score Relay(DD) releasing from the flipper vibration. I cleaned the switches and they look to be gapped well...I'll try to get them dialed in a little more and see if that cures it.

#4 4 years ago

The out or drain hole (I think that's what it's called) has the switch that releases the DD relay when the ball drains, so make sure that's cleaned and adjusted.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

The out or drain hole (I think that's what it's called) has the switch that releases the DD relay when the ball drains, so make sure that's cleaned and adjusted

Thanks--did not decipher that on the schematic. I'll hit that next.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

The out or drain hole (I think that's what it's called) has the switch that releases the DD relay when the ball drains, so make sure that's cleaned and adjusted.

GREAT! That did it. Drain has 2 switches, the normally closed that breaks the special wasn't normally closed "enough"...contact was broken when the flippers rattled it. All good now. Love pinside. Thanks

#7 4 years ago

Great...Jet Spin was my classroom for learning and working on Vari-Targets so spent a good amount of time getting mine working smoothly...Jet Spin doesn't get a whole lot of love, but I love the Jet Spin.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Great...Jet Spin was my classroom for learning and working on Vari-Targets so spent a good amount of time getting mine working smoothly...Jet Spin doesn't get a whole lot of love, but I love the Jet Spin.

How about this one: The "hit" lights on the Roto-Target--there are 3 of them that light when you hit one of the 3 exposed roto-targets? My left light wants to light up...no scoring issues, doesn't affect gameplay, if you give the machine a nudge, it comes on/off but likes to stay on. There's a Left Roto Target light relay which I cleaned/adjusted and looks good but still have the issue. If you nudge/lift playfield it affects it so seems like a switch gap issue somewhere but only spot I see on schematic that affects that light is the AA relay.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

How about this one: The "hit" lights on the Roto-Target--there are 3 of them that light when you hit one of the 3 exposed roto-targets? My left light wants to light up...no scoring issues, doesn't affect gameplay, if you give the machine a nudge, it comes on/off but likes to stay on. There's a Left Roto Target light relay which I cleaned/adjusted and looks good but still have the issue. If you nudge/lift playfield it affects it so seems like a switch gap issue somewhere but only spot I see on schematic that affects that light is the AA relay.

I have been following this thread, used to own a 'Super Spin' so quite familiar with Jet Spin. I would check out the contacts on the roto-target. When the ball hits, it knocks the switches backwards and changes the gap (often ending up too close) Kind of a design flaw on roto-targets IMO. REgap the targets a bit wide and see if that clears it up.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I have been following this thread, used to own a 'Super Spin' so quite familiar with Jet Spin. I would check out the contacts on the roto-target. When the ball hits, it knocks the switches backwards and changes the gap (often ending up too close) Kind of a design flaw on roto-targets IMO. REgap the targets a bit wide and see if that clears it up.

Will do...it's not scoring incorrectly though--just the hit light coming on. I was assuming if it were the roto switch itself the left target would score. I'll have another look. Thanks

#11 4 years ago

What stashyboy says is good to check. Also clean/check AA relay as that OR+GR switch controls the light when the left roto and left standup targets are hit

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

Also clean/check AA relay

AA looked good--that was first place I checked. I checked the roto switches and they were a little wide but all worked.

So, anyway, I "think" I fixed it but I don't know how. I did the above stuff and it still came on. I noticed that it only came on if the playfield was down and the bottom edge was shifted to the right...you know how there's a 1/2 inch or so play in the side to side motion of playfield? If I lifted it and shifted to left, the light went off, shift bottom corner to right--it went on. I checked along the the edge of playfield for anything getting pinched--tapped on everything and couldn't replicate it with playfield up. The only thing I noticed touching was the metal apron frame by shooter lane rubs on the top edge of the flipper switch bracket on the right...? I wiped down those areas(why? I don't know). Light stopped coming on...so, no idea. Maybe something was getting pinched...I've never heard of the apron metal touching the metal bracket of the flipper causing a problem but that sure looked like what was happening...or I moved something that was getting pinched. No clue.

#13 4 years ago

Weird......just sitting down to watch some B-Ball, drink some beer, and play some pinball you got me taking my Jet Spin apart to look...hahaha...I noticed on mine that the bank of AA BB CC DD relays cable harness may get a little pinched or pushed by the kick stand or bar used to hold up the playfield when the playfield is down....very cool you got it worked out

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from tuffano:

.very cool you got it worked out

Just got my roto back from PBR too--had a broken target. Put a little teflon oil on the shaft--works great--good 90 degree spin at least. Got the game 100% solid now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 8.40
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside