pasted_image (resized).png
47773060712_085d59787a_k (resized).jpg
32881426767_4eaa6fe186_k (resized).jpg
47773060682_0a926dfc0c_k (resized).jpg
47825119331_43df0a25be_k (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
0Jet-Spin-Work-06 (resized).jpg
JS (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Just and FYI... If this is too long of a read, I've made 2 video's below of pretty much what I'm typing here below for those who would rather watch then read

Little back story first.... This is my first EM I'm actually working on. I've wanted to add an EM to my collection for some time now and I came across this Jet Spin locally pretty cheap and seeing the reviews I figured why not! I've owned over 20 EM's over the years but I would get them in and trade them off as is as soon as I got them. Wasn't my cup of tea and I know it's worse if someone who does not know what they are doing, gets in there and starts tinkering on them. So I wouldn't even check a fuse. I just traded or sold them off as I got them in. I was always too scared to even mess with them actually.

So the years pass along with wanting a older flavor in my collection and along comes this Jet Spin. Now I did a little reading on the forums here in the tech section on this game and some made sense and some didn't that's why I figured I'd post up a fresh post about it. This was sitting in a vacation home for over 30 years. The owner told me it just stopped working one day years ago and it's been sitting for years since.

When I got it home and plugged it in the 1st player GI was on and the backbox GI and nothing else. Tilt was on as well. I pulled all the connectors and cleaned them I bought some really thin fine wire brushes and cleaned the connectors and headers. All the header plugs and pins have a white chalk on the pins and the the headers. Cleaned them up pretty well over all the chalk dust pretty much all came off and the connectors look much better. Then I stared to exercise all the relays. Several of them would pull as I did this trying to engage and I kept helping and exercising them. Mainly all the ones in the bottom of the cabinet. After a while the tilt light went off, game over lite up, I got GI on the PF along with the rest of the backbox GI was back, she would coin up, and actually play. Everything was working as it should for the most part. I kept going around just pushing the contracts in on and off and more and more was coming to life. So now it's fully working other then the score reels.

So now it's working much more than when I got it. All 4 players are working balls 1-3 lights on the backbox all follow along with score reel GI everything is looking good. Played about 5 four player games no issues.

Now I'm at the score reels. The won't go up with playfield scoring they pretty much don't do anything in game play. The game PF is keeping score and everything is working as it should. The only other thing I'm missing is the chimes. I'll get to that next. As for the score reels, if I manually put scores on them and start a game they will all reset back to zero each time I do this. But that's all I get out of them. So that's where I'm stuck. All 4 players nothing on score reels.

As far as the chime, It will chime one time when I get put the ball in one of the top lanes. I'll get a chime and that's it.

Here are the vids...

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Guessing score motor switches. Do you have the card that was stapled inside the cabinet that shows what each does? Here is a page from the manual, showing start up and other info:
[quoted image]

Thanks! I'll poke around there next. I don't have any paper work or a manual for it. I don't even see a manual on line anywhere so I'm kinda flying blind trying to trace wire colors back to things.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi PhillyArcade
thanks for the videos --- in the second one I hear a chime once - only once, hmm. Ask a friend to help - he stands behind the pin and looks into the open Backbox - looks at the N-, M-, L-Relays - You start a game, then "make points" - questions: Do these relays pull-in and then (faulty) stay pulling all the time ? Do they pull-in then let go ? Do they NOT pull-in ? IF (if, if) they pull-in and faulty stay pulling: Toggle-off the pin after some 30 to 90 seconds - otherwise these faulty pulling relays will overheat and get damaged.
See the JPG - "marked green" is "resetting the 10'000 drum of player-4". But when playing: "My marked orange" wiring gets busy - I show for "first player makes 10 points" - the N-Relay is made pulling-in - then soon after the N-Relay let go --- well it should, must let go. Depending on Your answers to my questions we will do troubleshooting here or there. Greetings Rolf
P.S.: It is getting late here in Switzerland (south of Germany) - soon I go to sleep, so this is probably my last post for today.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the tips and ideas! I'll have to tinker some more. This one has been sitting a long time and I found some of the "pull" relays needed some help pulling in and once I helped them along they worked as they should. I'll be going over and cleaning them all for sure but I had some much life out of it I thought I was in the home stretch. Been watching alot of videos on EM's trying to figure it all out that's for sure! Worse case I'll send you a plane ticket to come over for some beers and a repair! hahah

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

Hey guys I've been chipping away at the old Jet Spin. I have some decent life out of it finally. Still have a funky issue I'm shooting down. If player one has anything other than a 0 on the second reel, the game won't start. If I just tap the relay on that reel it will play as normal other then I can only select 1 player game. Seems I fix things, loose some others, and gain something here and there. It's fun trouble shooting it. With new flipper rebuild, rubbers, and wax.. she plays nice when she does! I've been cleaning contacts all over the game. I did notice the slings are pretty weak. They move freely and I've cleaned the contacts several times. Any ideas to getting them back to strong? Have a look at the updated video...

I also had the legs, lockdown, and bolts chrome power coated. Came out really nice! I'm thinking I need to pull the siderails and power them next!

32881426767_4eaa6fe186_k (resized).jpg32881426767_4eaa6fe186_k (resized).jpg47773060682_0a926dfc0c_k (resized).jpg47773060682_0a926dfc0c_k (resized).jpg47773060712_085d59787a_k (resized).jpg47773060712_085d59787a_k (resized).jpg47825119331_43df0a25be_k (resized).jpg47825119331_43df0a25be_k (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Player one Thousands reel won't reset but otherwise works correctly, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires,
starting with the 2 indicated switches
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
[quoted image]

Thanks for the info! Printed it all out and I'll poke around on it! Baby steps!

2 weeks later
#13 4 years ago

Still poking and testing. Did not have much time to tinker with it this weekend but here is some more results from poking around...

If the player 1 second digit score reel is on "0" this is the reaction of the game when you start a game... I've looked all over and can't figure out why it's scoring points right away when you start a game as well. Looked around checked all the switches on the PF and none seem closed...

So if the player one score 2nd digit reel is zero (specifically if the 2nd digit that won't reset on game start. ) and you start a game this is what happens.

If you start a game and the player 1 second digit score reel is on anything other than 0 this is the reaction...

If you start a game and the score reels are on numbers and you tap the Z1 relay to make it reset and start a game, the "N" relay is now stuck on. That controls the 3rd score reel and that coil is locked on as well. It gets red hot quick but will work when in game play.

I've cleaned that entire row of relays with my jewelers file several times. I'm thinking it's somewhere else the issue but this is what the pin will do now. The 2nd reel on player one will not ever reset to zero even when I tap the Z1 relay. It just lets the game start when I tap that relay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jet-spin-score-reels-not-working-no-chimes?tu=phillyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.