• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2074 (resized).JPG
Jet Spin Game Over relay (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

During gameplay the game shuts down to GAME OVER as if the game has ended.
It will start again no problem, but after a while GAME OVER again.
I see a "game over" relay, I plan to check that.
Anything else?

Thanks guys!

#2 3 years ago

The simplest explanation might be that the Make/Break switch on the R/Hold relay is gapped too close so that it closes with vibrations during gameplay and fires the Game Over relay.
Jet Spin Game Over relay (resized).jpgJet Spin Game Over relay (resized).jpg
/Mark

#3 3 years ago

In addition to what Mark says, check the slam switch on the coin door to make sure it is adjusted properly. This is a switch with a weight on the end. It needs to be solidly closed at all times. If it's barely making contact, then during game play, the vibration of the flippers or other coils can make the switch open, and that will release the R (hold) relay, which will drop you immediately into game over.

There are almost always similar slam switches on the bottom board and in the head (usually located near the replay unit) that will cause the same problem if they are out of adjustment.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

The slam switch seems a little more likely. One reason there are are multiple slam switches is that they're each sensitive to motion in different axes. The one on the coin door is sensitive to front and back motion (like a kick to the coin door). The one on the bottom board is sensitive to up and down motion (like lifting and dropping the game). Another if present might be sensitive to side to side motion.

#5 3 years ago

And also the hold relay R itself. These coils tend to get fried and weaken. Three coils I always replace in these 70's games, 1st ball, Game Over and Hold.

If yours has a brown crispy wrapper (R) time to replace.

#6 3 years ago

I didn't think of the slam switches (learn something every day)
I found three, the one in the door seemed a little soft, so I adjusted it, the other two looked good.
The make/break switch on the R relay looked a little close on one side so I cleaned and adjusted it and checked all others.
I played 3 games so far, no problems.
The Game Over, 1st Ball, Hold and Tilt Hold relays were all crispy brown, so Pinball Resource here I come!

Thanks guys, Pinside donations coming!

Also, did you see my post on Wizard?
I'm stuck on that one!

Thanks, Ron

IMG_2074 (resized).JPGIMG_2074 (resized).JPG
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

These coils tend to get fried and weaken. Three coils I always replace in these 70's games

@pinhead52, have you seen these coils weaken or do you just replace them as a precaution? I can understand how a coil might open (and not work at all) or short (and overheat) due to long term heat exposure but I'm unsure how a coil might weaken.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

pinhead52, have you seen these coils weaken or do you just replace them as a precaution? I can understand how a coil might open (and not work at all) or short (and overheat) due to long term heat exposure but I'm unsure how a coil might weaken.

yes when these coils do get crispy they can become flaky and drop out during game play. as a matter of pratice i replace if the wrapper is falling off

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jet-spin-game-shut-down?hl=e3thomas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.