IMG_0852 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
js (resized).JPG
img113 (resized).jpg
img112 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
img111 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

OK, so re-attaching the wire to the PU got the high score AAB bonus going but it still wants to add credit. The knocker, until I disconnected it, would hum when the bonus score was reached and the "Y" (add replay unit relay) is pulling as well. I don't see any shorts or crossed wires; any ideas?

img111 (resized).jpgimg111 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

And is the "15th pos. switch" at about 16.5 on the schematic on the bonus unit?

#3 6 years ago

The problem is likely off the schematic fragment you posted. Follow the red arrow at the top left of my attachment.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Here is the rest, Howard.

img112 (resized).jpgimg112 (resized).jpg

img113 (resized).jpgimg113 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Well, I guess this is every player's dream: now it's giving credit AND an extra ball at the score bonus.

#6 6 years ago

with this jumper setting it should be straight forward to find the short allowing both

js (resized).JPGjs (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

You'd think so, but I've been all over that, including re-soldering the extra ball connection.

#8 6 years ago

pull the jumper out?

#9 6 years ago

Sorry, I think I missed your point.

#10 6 years ago

yank the jumper that sets extra ball versus credit. this will tell you which side of the jumper the short is

#11 6 years ago

It's the credit, but where? and how does it do a high score bonus if it's not connected to the PU?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It's the credit, but where? and how does it do a high score bonus if it's not connected to the PU?

Huh?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

yank the jumper that sets extra ball versus credit. this will tell you which side of the jumper the short is

From pinhead52, Howard. But I don't think it's at the credit/extra ball plug.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Quoted from currieddog:

But I don't think it's at the credit/extra ball plug.

pinhead52 's suggestion is part of the diagnosis. At the risk of stating the obvious, the credit/extra ball plug is hooked up to other parts of the machine. The next diagnostic step is to narrow down which other part has the problem.

#15 6 years ago

Yes, but if the plug is not inserted in the credit/extra ball plug and it is still giving credits then it has to be coming from somewhere else. Seems to me that the high score/bonus info is going from the PU to the Add Replay Unit, but how? I don't see any crossed wires, etc.

#16 6 years ago

This is actually a player's paradise (if it wasn't already set to free play): you get extra balls AND credit for high scores, and even credit from playfield extra balls, and I just tested it with the match feature in and it still gives extra balls! Kind of amusing, though the oddness bugs me.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Yes, but if the plug is not inserted in the credit/extra ball plug and it is still giving credits then it has to be coming from somewhere else. Seems to me that the high score/bonus info is going from the PU to the Add Replay Unit, but how? I don't see any crossed wires, etc.

so you tried it?

#18 6 years ago

ok.... still awards credits even with the plug out... the SL+GR also goes/comes from the W relay and the YEL+GR comes/goes to F relay. They are on the same Jones plug bottom board to head... if they are side by side, look for a short there...

#19 6 years ago

I don't see anything there.

#20 6 years ago

You'll need to map out a strategy on where to desolder leads to track down the short, trying to isolate the fault.

#21 6 years ago

Do you think it increases the game's value?

It's pretty weird, but doesn't affect play. I'd still like to know where exactly the cause is though.

#22 6 years ago

Diagnosing things that shouldn't happen is harder than diagnosing things that should happen but don't. With that said:

After looking at the schematic for a while, I see that there's a Slate&Green wire that connects these 3 things:

1. The Extra Ball / Credit adjustment plug
2. The 15th Position switch on the Credit unit with a Blue&Black wire on the other side
3. A switch on the 2nd Chute (W) relay with a White&Orange wire on the other side

The first thing to do is make sure the replay pulse is coming through the Slate&Green wire by disconnecting the Slate&Green wire from #2 & #3 and running a jumper between those teminals. If that resolves the problem then solder the wire back and continue to the next step:

#2 is in the backbox. Next steps are to look at where #1 & #3 are, and draw a picture of exactly how the wire(s) connecting those 3 run through the machine, including any Jones plugs. Let us know what you find.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#23 6 years ago

Before I start disconnecting things, here's a shot of the SL-GR at the 15th pos. sw. Note the bent switch leaves, which I guess is for free play? How might that be affecting things?

Location, etc: "W" is on the bottom right of the cabinet, along with most of the other relays. SL-GR comes up into the backbox via a Jones plug, and connections there are good. The adj. plug is in the backbox right next to the credit unit.

IMG_0852 (resized).JPGIMG_0852 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

The 15th position switch looks like it is open? As you advance the credit wheel to 15 a post comes around to open the switch NOT allowing any more credit adds. So its NC unless you are at 15.

#25 6 years ago

The post is under the switch. That leaf and the one above it are bent up.

#26 6 years ago

Obviously has nothing to do with the extra ball/credit thang.

1 week later
#27 6 years ago

Blocking the R-WH/R-BLK switch on Y allows extra ball when bonus level or playfield target is hit, but doesn't add credit. However, Y does not release and the "same player shoots again" light remains on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jet-spin-continued-odd-behavior and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.