(Topic ID: 320710)

Gottlieb James Bond Blowing Solenoid fuse

By ajenner

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a3-j3 (resized).jpg
    5B069C2B-F20D-40B5-9D4A-CDFD258900D3 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Good morning. First time posting here. Long time enthusiast.

I have a Gottlieb James Bond that is blowing the Solenoid fuse.
    The game has a brand new MPU and driver board.
    The solenoid rectifier is good.
    I've tried unhooking the pop bumper boards and disconnecting the 3 drop target coils.
    Displays are on, starts a game and will score for anything not solenoid driven.
    Blows the 5 amp immediately

I'm stuck. All the coils look fine. It's got to be a bad coil right? Should I keep disconnecting coils until I find it?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajenner:

Should I keep disconnecting coils until I find it?

Unless one is hot, yes.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Ok. Thanks. None are hot since nothing is engaged. There's no burn on any of them.

#4 1 year ago

I had a similar problem on a Blackhole.
    My issue was a switch stack located in the bottom lower left of the playfield was slightly misaligned.
    Not sure if your game has that switch stack.
    Good luck.

#5 1 year ago

Also does the fuse blow when the playfield is fully raised?
    I’ve had that happen because there was some ground wire touching a coil only when the playfield was lowered.

#6 1 year ago

It blows either way. Playfield up or down.
    Is it correct to assume I can rule out the pop bumper coils if I unhooked their 3 driver boards and it still blows?

#7 1 year ago

Measure the resistance of all of the coils, including the coil under the apron. Since the pop-bumper boards were disconnected and the fuse still blows, neither the pop-bumper boards or pop-bumper coils are the problem. A coil can look good but be the problem. As you check each coil resistance, examine anything around the coil lugs that may be causing a short.

#8 1 year ago

Don't forget the knocker and the coin lockout coil on the coin door.

#9 1 year ago

Go around and try moving the coil plungers one by one by hand and see if any are seized. If so, that is the likely candidate. Disconnect the single wire from it and replace the fuse and see if it holds. If it was a frozen solenoid, it probably took out the driver transistor on the new board. You will neeed to replace it and the coil to get everything back in business.

#10 1 year ago

All coils disconnected and reconnected. Fuse blew every time.
    Any other thoughts? I can't fathom why this fuse is blowing, I'm just not seeing the issue. Nothing is pinched. Everything is free and clean.
    Thank you in advance any thoughts provided.

#11 1 year ago

Try something simple a reseating this big connector.
    I know that’s also solved many problems for me in the past.

5B069C2B-F20D-40B5-9D4A-CDFD258900D3 (resized).jpeg5B069C2B-F20D-40B5-9D4A-CDFD258900D3 (resized).jpeg
    #12 1 year ago

Check the Q and T relay coils for resistance a possible a short. These are on the right underside of the playfield. If these are OK then remove the driver connectors at the driver board. Keep the MPU to Driver connector in place. With the driver connectors removed the fuse should hold. If not it is back to the 24V rectifier. What is the DC voltage output of the rectifier?

#13 1 year ago

What's strange is that I checked the rectifier before I put in the new board so I assumed it was still ok. Guess what? It's not now. No volts. Strange.
    Any thoughts on why the rectifier went out?

#14 1 year ago

Yes it held with the driver connectors removed.
    I had originally checked the rectifier and voltage was 24-25. I can't re-check it without the fuse.....Right?
    With the fuse blown the rectifier doesn't receive volts.

#15 1 year ago

Fuse holds with driver connector removed.
    Rectifier is reading 24V output.

#16 1 year ago

This indicates you likely have a shorted coil or something shorted by the coil and a shorted driver transistor. Can you post a picture of your new Driver Board? Game off, meter set to diode test, positive probe to ground, negative probe to transistor tabs, looking for a short reading.

#17 1 year ago

I've located the issue after testing each pin. Please see picture. Whatever that pin controls is blowing the fuse.

a3-j3 (resized).jpga3-j3 (resized).jpg
    #18 1 year ago

So you are saying that with ONLY A3J3 connector removed from the driver board that the fuse F6 the 24VDC supply fuse does NOT blow? This connector is associated with the Tilt and Game relay drivers and lamp drivers. To determine where that particular pin goes, which I believe is pin x consult your driver board schematic for the machine. I don't have a schematic for James Bond.

#19 1 year ago

Hi Minnesota13. First..... thank you for your time and reply. Very kind of you.

What I'm saying is I used a grounded wire to find which one of the pins in a3-j3 was blowing by tapping on each pin till i found the issue since I knew that hooking up a3-j3 was blowing the fuse. So I temporarily cut that particular pins wire.

That particular pin..... the one with the arrow pointed to it blows the fuse. I have a3-j3 hooked back up (with that wire disconnected) and everything works except the pop bumpers, slingshots and flippers. If I activate the game over switch manually then those coils do work.

Thank you- Alan

#20 1 year ago

A3J3 is hooked back up minus that pins wire which I temporarily cut. (see arrow pointed to the particular pin, 2nd from right top of the connector)
    Without cutting that particular wire the fuse blows.

Now.....Game starts, scores, ends, ejects the ball, lights, drop targets coils are all good.

Everything functions except the pop bumper coils, flippers, and slingshots. I can get them to work by manually activating the game over coil.

#21 1 year ago

1. Do you have the manual for James Bond?
    2. Does the cut wire go to the coil of the Q relay -- Game relay?
    3. Closely examine the terminal lugs of the Q relay coil for a short to things around it.
    4. Manually operating the relay does not blow the fuse?
    5. ****** Measure the resistance of the Q (game) relay coil.

#22 1 year ago

It was the game over coil. Replaced. All good. Thank you very much.

#23 1 year ago

Alan, in retrospect testing the coils for resistance would have identified the problem sooner and saved a bunch of fuses. Barry in Harrison - I remember you..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-james-bond-blowing-solenoid-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.