8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by n1teowl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider n1teowl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I just picked up a Jacks Open and have having some problems with the start up sequence. If I put some credits on the credit wheel and hit start, a number of things happen. A number of the relays reset, along with the drop target bank. The score motor turns partway and stops. The credit wheel immediately goes to zero, and the game locks up with the playfield and backbox lights illuminated. After that, if I hit the start button again, the machine tries to reset again, even though there are no credits on the wheel. The previous owner said it was a "tilt issue" but I'm not sure he knows what he is talking about. It just makes me nervous that he knows something about the machine that makes him think it's a tilt problem... I'm leaning towards a credit stepper issue, but everything seems to look okay. I did check the tilt switches and they all seem to be operating correctly. I'm happy to post pics or a video if it helps. Thanks in advance for any input you have.

EDIT: I now have the credit unit jumped so that it should now be on free play. I'm not sure why the unit was jumping down so many spots, but it's probably not the main issue with the startup process. I took a video of what is happening that is available here:

Please let me know if there is anything else that I should be looking at more closely, I'm happy to take more pics/videos.

Thanks!

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the help DirtFlipper. The Start relay energizes, the Hold (R) relay activates, quickly followed by the Tilt relay (T) and they they both swtich off. The Tilt Hold relay (H) doesn't seem to activate at all. Does this help?

#5 8 years ago

Update: It appears that there was a tilt issue after all. I isolated all of the tilt switches and was able to get the machine to start. I can plunge a ball and it flips, but there is a distressing buzzing sound coming from under the playfield. I was afraid it was a stuck coil so I shut it off. Time to investigate. Thanks again for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider n1teowl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jacks-open-start-up-issue?tu=n1teowl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.