Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by n1teowl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just picked up a Jacks Open and have having some problems with the start up sequence. If I put some credits on the credit wheel and hit start, a number of things happen. A number of the relays reset, along with the drop target bank. The score motor turns partway and stops. The credit wheel immediately goes to zero, and the game locks up with the playfield and backbox lights illuminated. After that, if I hit the start button again, the machine tries to reset again, even though there are no credits on the wheel. The previous owner said it was a "tilt issue" but I'm not sure he knows what he is talking about. It just makes me nervous that he knows something about the machine that makes him think it's a tilt problem... I'm leaning towards a credit stepper issue, but everything seems to look okay. I did check the tilt switches and they all seem to be operating correctly. I'm happy to post pics or a video if it helps. Thanks in advance for any input you have.

EDIT: I now have the credit unit jumped so that it should now be on free play. I'm not sure why the unit was jumping down so many spots, but it's probably not the main issue with the startup process. I took a video of what is happening that is available here:

Please let me know if there is anything else that I should be looking at more closely, I'm happy to take more pics/videos.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

The credit wheel immediately goes to zero,

This is likely due to the small ratchet arm located at about the 2 o'clock position on the cam side of the stepper unit being gummed up and not moving quickly enough to stop the cam from resetting fully. It's supposed to ratchet down the cam one step at a time. When it gets gummed up, the first decrement brings the whole cam back to zero because the ratchet arm isn't there to stop it. Needs to be degreased.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

The score motor turns partway and stops.

Is the Hold relay (R) energizing and staying locked on? When you press the replay button on the coin door, the Start relay should energize, a switch closing there should energize R, and then R should stay locked on via its own switch, and then a closed Lightbox Anti-cheat switch, and a closed switch on the H relay (Tilt Hold relay). So those three switches need to be clean and closed.

I'd guess that R isn't staying locked on, so the reset isn't able to proceed.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the help DirtFlipper. The Start relay energizes, the Hold (R) relay activates, quickly followed by the Tilt relay (T) and they they both swtich off. The Tilt Hold relay (H) doesn't seem to activate at all. Does this help?

#5 4 years ago

Update: It appears that there was a tilt issue after all. I isolated all of the tilt switches and was able to get the machine to start. I can plunge a ball and it flips, but there is a distressing buzzing sound coming from under the playfield. I was afraid it was a stuck coil so I shut it off. Time to investigate. Thanks again for your help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 15.00
Apparel - Unisex
Silverball Swag
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.95
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Williamson Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside