Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I was adjusting some of the 10 point switches on my Jacks Open as they weren't quite close enough. These are all of the playfield switches activated by the rubbers. Once I finished, the switches no longer do anything after ejecting a ball. The 10 point relay will engage and release fine when manually activated. Everything else, incluing rollovers and drop targets, works fine. I checked all of the switches and none seem to be touching when at rest. Any ideas what could cause all of these switches to quit at once? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 4 years ago

If the 10 point relay isn't getting stuck on, then a stuck switch isn't the issue. About the only other thing that comes to mind is a cold solder joint and a wire popped off, or there's an open in one side of the parallel circuit path. Could even be the wire popped off the 10pt relay, since those are the only targets that activate it. Does the coil lock on briefly when manually engaged? Should lock on until the 10pt reel steps.

#3 4 years ago

I checked the continuity for all of the switches and none were stuck closed, like you suspected. The 10 point coil lock does lock on briefly when triggered manually, and the 10 point reel steps normally. I did visually inspect the switches and I can't see any wires that have popped off. I'm leaning toward one of those switches being the problem though, as everything worked fine until I did my "adjustment"

#4 4 years ago

To paraphrase Dirt, if one of those switches is closed, the 10-point relay would be stuck on.

If the game worked before you got in there, the chances of one of Dirt's other possibilities is pretty remote.

When you start a game, does it score 10 points before you plunge the ball? If yes, and then none of the 10 point switches work after that, then the 10 point coil has to be locked on.

If that's the case, then check each of those switches again, making sure that the bounce blade isn't making contact with the opposite switch blade. Sometimes tough to see, so maybe you should unsolder one side of each 10 point switch, start a game, solder them back and see which one scores when you reattach the wire.

#5 4 years ago

No, it doesn't score any points before the ball is plunged. It makes sense that the 10-point relay would be stuck on if something was closed. Everything is working fine except for the playfield 10 point switches. I went and tested all of the switch wires for continuity underneath the playfield and they all seemed to be connected to a like wire on the other switches.

#6 4 years ago

well, just to poke it and see if any more clues can be had, you could jumper a 10 point switch over to the drop target switch line, or vice versa, and see which the problem follows.

If a 10pt switch can activate the G relay like a drop target switch, then the problem lies on the path to the 10 pt relay.

If a drop target switch can score 10 pts (acting like a 10pt switch), then the problem still lies with the 10pt switch path.

Patch the drop target switch line onto that SL-WH-RED line that comes from the 10 pts switches to feed the N relay (or can do it manually by patching one side of a 10pt switch to the 'other' side of a drop target switch, and score immediately).

At least it will tell you if the path to the 10 pt relay is able to work.

#7 4 years ago

For grins - try reseating the connectors from the playfield to both the head and main relay board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
650 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Exton, PA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 137.00
$ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
MicksPinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 189.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside