View topic image gallery

aJitB-Work-05 (resized).jpg
aJitB-Work-04 (resized).jpg
1480198060431268162688 (resized).jpg
1480197992804-623496039 (resized).jpg
aJitB-Work-03 (resized).jpg
JITB_Z3 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Update on troubleshooting the start-up sequence problem with my Gottlieb Jack in the Box. The issue is the score motor just keeps running (original post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jack-in-the-box-start-up-sequence-repair-needed-in-milwaukee)

Below is as far into the the startup sequence it makes it to (from the Jack In The Box manual thank you jeffc for posting):
Works---> 1. Inserting a coin or pushing the replay button actuates 'S' relay (Start relay).
Works---> 2. This relay will lock-in through its own switch and a motor 2B switch.
Works---> 3. 'S' relay starts the motor running.
Works---> 4. 'SB' relay and the total play meter are actuated by switches on motor 1A and motor 4B through a switch that has been closed on 'S' relay.

The next step is where the start-up sequence issue is currently isolated to:
5. Works---> When 'SB' relay is tripped, the reset relays 'Z1', 'Z2', and 'Z3' are energized in sequence to reset the score units and the 'player' unit. Works---> 'Z3' opens the circuit to 'Z2' and 'Z1' until all the 4th player score units and the 1,000's and 10,000's score units of the 3rd player are reset through motor switches. <-------This is as far as it makes it in the start-up sequence.

The next step should be---> When these units are at zero 'Z3' falls out and through a normally closed switch on 'Z3' reset relay 'Z2' is energized. Z3 does fall out Z2 does not energize (have not checked with meter).

So, lets say the game is turned off. All 4 player reels have scores on the them. I turn on the game, insert a coin and press start. The score reel starts and player 4 and player 3 score reels reset to zero. Score reels for player 2 and 1 do not reset. I can see Z3 relay falls out. So now I have the sequence isolated. Thoughts on what to troubleshoot to determine why Z2 does not energize?

For what it is worth, this is the remainder of the sequence:
'Z2' opens the circuit to 'Z1' until all the 2nd player score units and the 10's and 100's score units of the 3rd player are reset through motor switches. When these units are at zero 'Z2' falls out and through a normally closed switch on 'Z2' reset relay 'Z1>' is energized. 'Z1' stays energized until all the 1st player score units are reset through motor switches. At the same time the player unit steps up to its zero position through a motor 1A switch in series with a switch on 'SB' and a run-off switch on the 'player' unit (P5B).
6. The control bank is reset by a switch on motor 3C through a switch on 'U' relay.
7. Inserting additional coins or pushing the replay button will actuate the 2nd player relay (PB2) through motor 4B switch; the 3rd player relay (PB3) through motor 2C and PB2 switches; and the 4th player relay (PB4) through motor 1D and PB3 switches; in that order.
8. Place the ball in the outhole. The outhole switch completes a circuit to 'E' relay. A witch on 'E' relay completes a circuit to 'F' relay through motor 3C. When 'F' relay energizes it closes a switch that completes the circuit to 'O' relay if the bonus unit is at zero position.
9. 'O' relay locks in through its own switch and a switch on motor 2B.
10. When 'O' relay is energized the motor starts running.
11. Motor 4C actuates the ball return coil (which kicks the ball onto the runway) through a switch on 'O'.
12. The ball is now on the runway and is ready to be put into play.
13. The remaining balls that enter the outhole are kicked across the trough switch which pulls in 'P' relay. 'P' relay runs the motor. Switches on 'XB', 'ZB', motor 2C, 'P', and motor 1A advances the 'Player' unit the required number of steps determined by the 'Player' unit switches and the player relays (PB2, PB3, PB4).

#2 7 years ago

I'm sure you've done a visual inspection? I've had wires just fall off of relays before in transport or just randomly.

Do you have a schematic so you can see what powers Z2? Does it click and shut off again or does it not activate at all?

If Z3 is dropping out it does sound like that part is finishing fully and correctly.

#3 7 years ago

For Z2 not operating I would check the Z2 contact highlighted below and the wiring daisy chained between the score reels.

A quick check to eliminate the score reels and test function of Z2 would be to jumper (marked in red) between Z2 (SL-GR) and Z2 contact with OR-BLK wire. With the jumper in place Z2 should operate regardless of the state of the score reels.

JITB_Z3 (resized).JPGJITB_Z3 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

I do have the schematics for the game. Nothing looks off from the visual inspection (i.e. no wires disconnected, broken switch contacts, etc). Z3, Z2, and Z1 are all powered by the SB relay. I'll try the jumpering and report back. Thank you for the suggestion.

#5 7 years ago

Hi new_coke +
I am confused - in post-1 You write: "So, lets say the game is turned off ... player-4 and player-3 score-reels reset to Zero. Z3 falls out - Z2 does NOT pull-in ... ".
Confused - My schematics shows: The 100-point-Score-Reel and the 10-point-Score-Reel of player-THREE are operated through Switches on PULLING Z2 ...

So I think You have some "heavy problems" with the "Resetting of Score-Reels".
My goal always is "CAN play a ONE-Player-Game". So I suggest: Manually put the Score-Reels of Player-4, -3, -2 to Zero. Manually put some points on the Score-Reels of Player-ONE. Then start a game - questions:
Does the Score-Motor runs endlessly ?
Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1277&picno=30992 above the middle - the huge bakelite stuff --- does this Player-Unit steps ? Does it endlessly step ?
Do the Score-Reels of Player-1 reset ? If they all do reset - or not --- where comes the pin to stop / what happens on and on and on ?

Again, my goal is "CAN play a ONE-Player-Game".
See the JPG, "blue stuff": The Player-Unit (bakelite) must be stepped forward - as it reaches "Home-Position": No more stepping forward - then, here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1277&picno=30991 behind the papers: The huge Control-Bank must reset (because the "U-Relay pulls-in"). Greetings Rolf

P.S.: And when You can play a One-Player-Game: Then its the time to look at "Resetting player-4, -3, -2.

aJitB-Work-03 (resized).jpgaJitB-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Rolf, first off thank you. Your question is very good to help in isolating the issue.

I manually changed the score reels for all 4 players to show 11,110. As seen here in this picture:

1480197992804-623496039 (resized).jpg1480197992804-623496039 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Here we go, starting machine and I end up with:

1480198060431268162688 (resized).jpg1480198060431268162688 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

So indeed player 3 tens and one hundreds did not reset.

Woz, I'm in the process of making a jumper to bypass Z2 as shown.

#9 7 years ago

Used the jumper on Z2 between SL-GR and the contact with OR-BL wire and Z2 worked resetting the rest of player 3 and all of play 2. Player 1 did not reset.

Would this mean the problem is with Z3?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from new_coke:

Used the jumper on Z2 between SL-GR and the contact with OR-BL wire and Z2 worked resetting the rest of player 3 and all of play 2. Player 1 did not reset.
Would this mean the problem is with Z3?

No, it means the problem is between the Z3 contact OR-BLK wire and the Z2 coil. Something in the chain to the "2nd and 3rd player reset switches" is broken. The OR-BLK and SL-GR wires will go from the main board to the back box via a Jones plug so don't forget to check that.

#11 7 years ago

Hi new_coke +
thanks for the test with "all players have 11'110 points before startup" - my confusion so dissapeared.
I was asking about the Player-Unit stepping. Here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtlb-spirit-of-76-startup-problem#post-3401318 You see the Player-Unit - AND above You see (color: light-brown) some Switchstacks. "There in post-14, second JPG" You see the so-called "Gottlieb Home-Position" --- the only "tooth on fifth cam" actuates its switchstack. There (post-14) I referred to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-circuits-basics-to-not-so-basic/page/2#post-3402051 which referres to http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/Images/CamPositions-4Player.jpg

DO NOT READ in the "referred to" topics / posts - ONLY look at "chibler picture" and my picture with the Player-Unit beeing in Home Position. I am very interested in answers to my questions in post-5-YOUR-topic. Greetings Rolf

#12 7 years ago

The player unit in the upper box does not turn on. I can manually advance it. Question - should I manually advance it to a certain position? If all of the score reels were manually set at zero, would this not take relays Z1, Z2, and Z3 out of the equation and the next order of the sequence should start (in this case it would be sequence 6 where U relay would reset the control bank).

#13 7 years ago

Hi new_coke
Yes and No --- Yes, when You manually set all score drums to zero: You take the Z1, Z2 and Z3 out of the equation. No: Sequence-6 does not start (I'd be surprised when it would / does). About in the middle of post-1 (For what it is worth ...) You write from the Startup-Sequence - there is the remark "AT THE SAME TIME THE PLAYER UNIT STEPS UP TO ITS ZERO POSITION": THERE we are at (JPG in post-5, "dark-blue" stuff).

Toggle-off the pin, unplug the 110VAC power Cord (Safety Reasons). Read post-11 --- look at the mentioned stuff - then manually step Your Player-Unit until the tooth on fifth cam actuates its switches - You have reached HOME-Position - also called Position-Zero.
Look at my first JPG - Position-Zero is "pin has started a game, is ready for Player-1 playing Ball-1". Step the Player-Unit forward one position and the pin is "Player-2 plays Ball-1". Step on and on and on (((look and see how the cams 1, 2, 3, 4 nicely actuate its switches)))). Look at the JPG - see (?) - when we have a four-player-game: At the end of a ball the Player-Unit is stepped forward just one position, always just one position (((in 1-, 2-, 3-player-games sometimes stepping one position - sometimes stepping several positions))).

Manually set the score reels of player-1, -2, -3 to zero. Set the score drums of player-4 to "some points". Step the player unit to position-8 or 9 or ... 19 (it does not matter - but NOT on Position-Zero). Plug-in, toggle-on, start a game, see how the score drums of player-4 do reset, Z3-Relay drops-out. NOW the question is: "Does the Score-Motor stops --- or endlessly turns" --- write about.
I have the information: "Player-Unit does NOT step to Position-Zero". So help the pin and do manually step it to Position-Zero - does the Control-Bank RESET ? If "No": DO IT MANUALLY (may want to wear rubber gloves for insulation --- the coils are operated by 24VAC, better not touch solder-lugs, wires). What does the pin do ? Can You make some points - can You play ? Please give a detailled description.

About "problem non-pulling Z2, Z1": See the second JPG - Your pin may have such a problem --- we will come to that, later. Greetings Rolf

aJitB-Work-04 (resized).jpgaJitB-Work-04 (resized).jpg

aJitB-Work-05 (resized).jpgaJitB-Work-05 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from new_coke:

Here we go, starting machine and I end up with:

ZB2 and ZB1 have not been activated. Check a switch on ZB3 which should close (when 6 score reels on 0) and pass the circuit off to ZB2 when it drops out (next six score reels on 0) which then will close a switch on itself and pass the circuit off to ZB1 (Player 1 score reels on 0)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jack-in-the-box-start-up-sequence-issue-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.