Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Raff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20200722_162556 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200718-084742_Gallery (resized).jpg
    ABAFBA43-B6D8-4B07-9C60-CCD862967B41 (resized).jpeg
    20200717_151137 (resized).jpg
    20200717_151144 (resized).jpg
    20200717_151156 (resized).jpg
    20200717_115144 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Got a problem with the start up of a game Pess the start up button score motor keeps turning and the ball count unit in the back box keeps turning.
    Raffg

#2 3 years ago

Do you have the manual? Page 2 has the startup sequence. How far is is getting?

#3 3 years ago

I first put all the scores to 0 then credits up press the start button score motor starts turning and ball count starts turning and both keep turning and don't stop that's it.I have the manual for the machine.
    Raff

#4 3 years ago

Sounds like you’re at step 5 of the startup: “At the same time the player unit steps up to its zero position thru a motor 1A switch in series with a switch on “SB” and a run switch on the player unit (P5B).”

I’d look at switch P5B to make sure it opens and the solder tabs aren’t shorted.
    This circuit is around 18E in the schematic.

Good luck,

Dave

#5 3 years ago

Are the score reels in this machine a generation 1,2 or 3.
    Raff

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Are the score reels in this machine a generation 1,2 or 3.
    Raff

There was only one more evolution of Gottlieb’s score reels after the style that was used in Jack in the Box. So... 2?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

Jack in the Box. So... 2?

Thanks leckmeck just making sure thanks for that.
    Raff

#8 3 years ago

If this part of the player unit is taken off that has the 3 screws can it be put back on wrong or it doesn't matter.
    20200717_115144 (resized).jpg20200717_115144 (resized).jpg
    Raff

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

If this part of the player unit is taken off that has the 3 screws can it be put back on wrong or it doesn't matter.
    [quoted image]
    Raff

The only thing that matters when you put it back on: the wiper fingers should be centered well on a set of rivets.

#10 3 years ago

Ok good to know wasn't sure.
    Raff

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I’d look at switch P5B to make sure it opens

How do you get in there to see the switches.
    Raff

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

How do you get in there to see the switches.
    Raff

A washer and screw in the upper right corner can be removed, allowing the unit to swing down into the service position.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

[quoted image]
    Raff

Yes it matters. The shaft that it mounts on goes through to the cams that activate the switches. If put on wrong the Ball In Play lights won't light correctly, and the Last Ball relay (XB) and Last Ball Score Control relay (LB) won't activate at the proper time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 3 years ago

20200717_151144 (resized).jpg20200717_151144 (resized).jpg20200717_151137 (resized).jpg20200717_151137 (resized).jpg20200717_151156 (resized).jpg20200717_151156 (resized).jpg is this right.
    Raff

#15 3 years ago

Here is mine at the end of the reset sequence, with the ball sitting in the shooter lane.
    Yours looks 180 degrees opposite.

ABAFBA43-B6D8-4B07-9C60-CCD862967B41 (resized).jpegABAFBA43-B6D8-4B07-9C60-CCD862967B41 (resized).jpeg
    #16 3 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Yes it matters. The shaft that it mounts on goes through to the cams that activate the switches. If put on wrong the Ball In Play lights won't light correctly, and the Last Ball relay (XB) and Last Ball Score Control relay (LB) won't activate at the proper time.
    [quoted image]

Howard is right. I didn’t really pay attention to this detail when rebuilding my player unit. I think there’s a 1-in-3 chance of getting it right, and I must have been lucky.

#17 3 years ago

Screenshot_20200718-084742_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200718-084742_Gallery (resized).jpg
    howardr this is what I was talking about.
    Raff

#18 3 years ago

The reels on jack in the box match your “1st generation” table. The middle switch is the 9 switch. The outer ones are labeled “runout” and “reset”.

Dave

#19 3 years ago

Thanks dave
    Looks like the last person who had this machine played around with the score reel switches they are out i will first clean and ajust them to the gen 1.Then go from there.
    Raff

#20 3 years ago

Re ajusted all the switches on the score reels and filed them clean then checked the switches on the player unit and found that a nut was loose on row 5 switches so every time the cams where turning those switches on row 5 where doing nothing tighened the nut the switches on row 5 started working again.
    The problem I still have is the 10,000 score reel on all 4 players won't reset all the other score reels will reset.i have cleaned and regaped the 10,000 switches.if I manual put all the score reels to zero I can start a game and play all 5 balls.
    Raff

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

the 10,000 score reel on all 4 players won't reset all the other score reels will reset

Does the game reset otherwise and kick the ball out?

#22 3 years ago

Does the game reset otherwise and kick the ball out

No score motor keeps turning,
    But set score reels to zero and yes it will kick the ball out and goes to ball 1.
    Raff

#23 3 years ago

Hmm. Nothings common to all 4 10000s.
    Player 1 uses the runout switch on the reel, a switch on z1, and pulses from score motor 4a.
    Player 2 uses the runout switch, a switch on z2, and pulses from score motor 1A.
    Player 3 “. “ “ z3, 4a
    Player 4 “ “ “ z3, 1A.

Do the 10000 reels move while the score motor runs, or sit still?
    Do you see z1, z2, or z3 engaging?

It’s probably stuck on the first player being reset because the z1,z2,z3 sequence cant move forward until that happens. Could be a broken wire on the runout switches or the zero switches.

Dave

#24 3 years ago

One or more of the 10,000 point score reel 0 position switches isn't opening.
    Which ones of the Z1, Z2, Z3 relays are staying activated when this happens?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Which ones of the Z1, Z2, Z3 relays are staying activated when this happens

Z3 is staying activated.

Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Do the 10000 reels move while the score motor runs

If the 10 000 reel is on number 9 it will go back to 0 and the game will not start if the 10,000 reel is between numbers 1_8.
    Numbers on 1000,100 or tens will reset its only the 10,000 score reel between1_8.
    Raff

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

One or more of the 10,000 point score reel 0 position switches isn't opening.

#27 3 years ago

I keep looking, machine is nearly there.
    Raff

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:One or more of the 10,000 point score reel 0 position switches isn't opening.

How right you are Howard and Dave score reels are all resetting now to zero ball 1 kicks out plays all 5 balls then goes to game over but still there is a couple of faults the next fault is no free credits are paid when the set scores are reached.
    Raff

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

no free credits are paid when the set scores are reached

For which player(s)?

#30 3 years ago

Player 1 and 2 not giving any .
    Haven't checked player 3 or 4 yet but I would say it's not working on all players.
    Raff

#31 3 years ago

Checked all 4 players and free credits for set scores not working on any of them would I be looking for a switch or a Jones plug ??.
    Raff

#32 3 years ago

Raff,

That circuit is shown in sections 8, 9, 10, 11 on the right hand side of the schematic.

Since all 4 players fail, I’d look at the one switch on the thousands (L) relay, the point score adjustment plugs in the backbox, and the normally closed 15th position switch on the credit unit. You could use a jumper wire to jump over large portions of the circuit to rule things out. All of this is in the backbox, so I don’t think any Jones plugs are involved other than the score adjustment.

Do credits increase if you close the coin switches on the door? That would test the 15th position switch.

Dave

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Do credits increase if you close the coin switches on the door?

Yes

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Checked all 4 players and free credits for set scores not working on any of them would I be looking for a switch or a Jones plug ??.
    Raff

dgAmpGuy is on the right track but look at the Player Unit disk & wiper in addition to his suggestion about the switch on the L relay.

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#35 3 years ago

Good point HowardR . It could be the shoes and tiny wire on the player unit since it’s affecting multiple players. At least the 15 point max switch is eliminated because the coin switches do increment the credits.

Good luck, you’re close.
    Dave

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Good point howardr . It could be the shoes and tiny wire on the player unit since it’s affecting multiple players.

Yes that was the problem the small wire and the shoes.

Quoted from HowardR:

look at the Player Unit disk & wiper

Put a new wire on ajusted the shoes to sit in the middle of the rivets and the game is now 99.9%
    It is awarding free credits when the set scores are reached you can play 1_4 players perfectly the last problem is the match number not awarding free credits would that problem be at the AX relay.

20200722_162556 (resized).jpg20200722_162556 (resized).jpg
    Raff

#37 3 years ago

Good job. The match function is more complex. The AX relay disc chooses the match number and lights the number on the backglass. Then the wiring between the circuit boards on the 10s reels is sequenced by the player unit at the end of game to determine if there’s a match. There are also switches on the XB and O relays.

Jumper wires work best here. You could jumper from the player 1 tens reel common to the AX common to make it look like player 1 always gets a match. If that works, you know it’s in the reel or the ax contacts or the wires between. If not, then it’s the score motor switch.

I’ve also used tricks like forcing the match light to alway be illuminated so that I can make the score match before draining the last ball to test matching a specific number.

Dave

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

If not, then it’s the score motor switch.

Which switch on the score motor.
    Raff

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

the match number not awarding free credits

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

You could jumper from the player 1 tens reel common to the AX common to make it look like player 1 always gets a match. If that works, you know it’s in the reel or the ax contacts or the wires between. If not, then it’s the score motor switch.

Tryed jumping from 10s com to AX com nothing
    I am.trying to understand Howard how to diagnose the circuit with jumper wires.
    Raff

#41 3 years ago

The idea is that you’re jumpering around one or ore switches to take them out of the picture. They all need to work to make the game function correctly, but you’re doing an experiment to see what would happen IF the switches in between the jumper closed when they’re supposed to.

So, if you connected the slate & white wire on the match unit (AX) to the green & white wire on the 1st player 10s reel, and you ended the game and didn’t get a credit, then that means there’s something else wrong. If it had worked, then the problem would be between the 10s reel circuit board and the match units circuit board (either the wires or the wipers or the traces on the boards).

So now you need to look at the other stuff in the path. There’s a switch at score motor 1B, a switch on the last ball relay (XB), and a switch on the outhole relay (O).

You could jumper around one or more of those. Since the match function seems to be broken for multiple players, I’d bet on. Those last two. You could leave the jumper in place around the AX and 10s unit and add a jumper around the switch on the XB relay. Then when the ball drains and the score motor runs, you should get a credit.

Once you actually get a match, you then look at what you jumpered out, and that path tells you what needs to be fixed/adjusted/cleaned.

Dave

#42 3 years ago

Tried the jumper wire from player 1 the 10 score reel com to the AX relay com again but this time the right side of the AX relay com and yea it paid the free credit on the match number so the last time I connected the wire to the left side AX com anyway moving on I took the AX relay out cleaned it checked all wires nothing I know I am close to fixing it any suggestions guys.
    Raff

#43 3 years ago

So that tells you that the connection from the common to the match number on the AX unit is not working or the connection from the common to the 10 wires on the 10s reel isn’t working. (Or both).

The way I test that stuff is to put an alligator clip on the common wire on the AX unit and a clip on one wire of my ohmmeter. Then I test each of the 10 spots using the other meter probe as I manually click the stepper. You mingle have a broken wire or the little wiper might be bent and not making a good connection. You can do the same on the 10s unit as well as check the connections between the 10 wires (0-9) on the reel and the ax match unit.

Also, the match unit can be removed by unplugging the Jones plugs, so you can test it on a bench.

You’ve narrowed this down pretty far now.

Dave

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

either the wires or the wipers

Fixed it was the wipers on the circuit board looked good but wasn't making connection thanks Dave and Howard and others for helping.
    Raff.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jack-in-the-box-help-start-up-fault and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.