Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I’m rehab’ing my second jack in the box. I did one in 2020 that we’ve held on to. This one belongs to someone else and was more of a basket case.

I’m finally to the point where I’ve put the playfield glass on for some testing and I’m finding that the left eject hole causes the ball to hit the glass every time. The right one works fine. Everything seems to match up between the two holes (the coils, coil stop, alignment), so I’m scratching my head in wonder... I’ve had games where the kick out would be weaker than you’d like, but never stronger.

This game has had its share of hacks that I’ve undone, but this area seems to be original.

Thank you,
Dave

#2 1 year ago

Several remedies.
1. Use a weaker coil.
2. Reduce the stroke of the current coil by stuffing something into the coil sleeve next to the coil stop. This has the effect of making the coil stop longer.
3. Add a (say) 3 ohm or so resistor in series with the coil. This has a similar effect to using a weaker coil with more windings and hence more resistance. Resistor should be 1 watt.
4. Bend the actuating “finger” a bit so that it doesn’t strike the ball dead on.
5. Place a stronger spring on the mechanism to oppose the coil strength more.

Decide which is easiest for you or which solution you like more. I’m sure there are other ideas.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 1 year ago

Check that the tip of the eject arm is not peened from years of use also. That will cause the kicker to throw the ball upward more than forward. Same thing happens with the outhole kickers too (ball thrown up too much and it hits the underside of the cardholder.)

#4 1 year ago

Excellent ideas. I’ll check them out.

Thanks!

#5 1 year ago

Mine has hit the glass like that since I got it (10+ years ago). I have just learned to live with it and now it is just part of the machine.

(And yeah--I need to fix it...)

#6 1 year ago

I owned one JITB and fixed another one up for a local person, neither hit the glass. No way would I put up with that crap. I suppose it's possible a previous person swapped the game's worn out outhole kicker with the left hole kicker just to get the game playable again. Just kinda weird that the right hole works fine, since they'd get the same amount of use.

Also regarding that spring-loaded lever in the kicker unit - make sure it is free to move and the pivots there are oiled. If it is seized, the kick will be much too strong.

#7 1 year ago

I cleaned the mechanism and replaced the spring with the correct one that I happened to have on hand. That improved the situation a bit, but the ball could still tap the glass more than half the time. Then I had a sneaking suspicion that the game was a little too snappy (compared to my original). Sure enough, I checked and it was high tapped. I should have checked that first...

Case closed, thanks for all the ideas and info.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-jack-in-the-box-eject-hole-kicker-hits-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.