Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by hailrazer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a slight problem with my Gottlieb Incredible Hulk.

The target bank won't reset. It tries to but it barely moves and then goes back down.

What's been done:
1: All connectors have been repinned
2: Power supply has been rebuilt
3: Driver board has been rebuilt with new transistors/resistors/diodes
4: All voltages checked and are correct on power supply and transformer and bridge rectifiers
5: All ground mods have been done
6: All other coils have been checked and are working properly.
7: All other coils were removed and the problem still existed
8: Both coils have been tested and ohm out right and diodes are good
9: When ground is applied to the transistor the 2 coils fire properly and the target bank resets every time.
10: Relay switches have been cleaned and are functioning properly.

What else am I missing?

#2 6 years ago

Have you checked to make sure there's no mechanical binding in the target bank or coil. When you ground the transistor you're providing a much longer (read stronger) pulse to the coil so that doesn't guarantee there's not a mechanical issue.

If it is electrical I would suspect a cold solder joint or frayed wire. Any mechanical binding would amplify this issue.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Have you checked to make sure there's no mechanical binding in the target bank or coil. When you ground the transistor you're providing a much longer (read stronger) pulse to the coil so that doesn't guarantee there's not a mechanical issue.
If it is electrical I would suspect a cold solder joint or frayed wire. Any mechanical binding would amplify this issue.

I can move it by hand easily. With one finger.

Cold solder joint on the driver board? I reflowed all the connector pins on the board.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

Solved this problem.

I replaced both coils. As I was putting in the new coils I noticed that one of the old coils had a piece of cardboard that covers the lugs where you solder the wires. The other was missing that cardboard. Without the cardboard the lugs will ground out to the metal bracket that holds the coil causing it to make every coil in the machine weak.

Fashioned a new piece of cardboard and was good to go.

Hulk is alive!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-incredible-hulk-weak-target-bank-reset-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.