(Topic ID: 295491)

Gottlieb Incredible Hulk drop down target issue

By yamanx

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Incredible Hulk that I have been working on for a bit. Got all the issues ironed out on it but the issue with the drop downs. This unit has the Ni Wumpf main board, power supply and driver board. All fuses are good to go and every feature works. The issue I am having is if all drop down target have been hit the game cannot reset them. They slightly move and stop. Now if 6 out of the 7 are knocked down and you drain a ball they reset no issue. You can have any order of 6 targets knocked down and they will always reset no problems but as soon as it has to reset all 7 it tries slightly and then stops. Both solenoids test good but I went ahead and replaced one that had some burns on it but didn't fix the problem. I have lubed and checked everything I can see mechanically with nothing seeming wrong. I can manually reset the targets no issue as well.. Any help or places to start looking would be appreciated.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from yamanx:

I have lubed and checked everything

"Lubed" what exactly? And with what?
Normally lube is a no no, that is why I ask?
-Mike

#3 2 years ago

Lubricants gum things up. You will likely now have to disassemble and clean the targets and cages.

As for the issue, make sure the plunger isn't mushroomed and there is a new sleeve in the coil. Sometimes those can cause issues.

#4 2 years ago

I put a drop of Super Lube on the plastic bushing on the first pivot by the solenoid - nothing else got lubed. One of the solenoids is brand new and the other one has a new sleeve in it. The plunger doesn't seem to be mushroomed at all and moves freely within the solenoid. Game has zero issues resetting targets if at least 1 target is still up.

#5 2 years ago

I read on another post on here with someone having the same issue and said that a piece of cardboard was missing and once replaced issue went away. I cannot find any photos showing this. Does anyone else know anything about this and have a reference photo?

hailrazer can you expand a bit on what you found?

#6 2 years ago

As far as I'm aware, there is no cardboard in the drop target assembly.

Maybe post some photos from different angles of your drop target cage? Maybe someone can see what is going on with it.

#7 2 years ago

There's somebody else on Pinside with a Genie with a similar problem. On the 'cardboard' thing, the guy said it was missing from one coil and that was allowing the lugs to short to the coil mount. Normally there is plastic around the lugs there to prevent shorts but maybe his had been broken off or something and someone stuck cardboard between the coil base plastic and the mount as an insulator.

Only place I might put a tiny smidge of lube is where the cams activate the switch arms since it's metal to metal but doubt it would have any effect on your problem one way or the other. Strange the way it works 100% with any 6 targets, but one more and they barely move. I would think with 7 it would at least raise them pretty good but might not be able to latch a few of them.

You said you tested the coils but are you sure that both solenoids are indeed being powered when it resets, and not just one? Also wondering if each of the two coils is powered by its own driver transistor, perhaps remote ones, and that maybe one is kaput.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
3,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-incredible-hulk-drop-down-target-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.