• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1542.jpg
IMG_1425.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Ice Revue that I'm trying to bring back to life. It was pretty filthy when I got it, so I didn't even attempt to turn it on until I went through it all pretty thoroughly including cleaning all the steppers and contacts.

My problem is that as soon as I start the game, the ten's reel starts registering. At first I assumed it was a stuck switch, but I've rechecked them all several times and also checked all the score motor switches. I also checked all the switches on the score reel. However I think it may be related to the reset relay, as I noticed that if actuate the numbers one through six on the playfield, the reset relay kicks in and the score stops registering. I've examined all the switches on the relay and they seem fine.

I do not have a schematic, though I saw one under another Ice Revue post in this forum, however I'm not very good at reading them anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

as I start the game, the ten's reel starts registering

Is the score motor also running continuously too?

If you disconnect the small Jones plug the runs from the playfield to the backbox and it stops, then it's a 10pt scoring feature. If it continues, then it's the reset path.

#3 8 years ago

Dirt, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this game doesn't have the traditional little jones plug next to the score motor. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

Dirt, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this game doesn't have the traditional little jones plug next to the score motor. Any other thoughts?
Thanks

No, not the motor service plug. The Jones plug that attaches the playfield to the backbox. Usually there are three (or so) Jones plugs that attach inside the backbox. Two come up from the bottom board, and one runs from the playfield. Unplug the one from the playfield.

#5 8 years ago

I have Ice Review/schematic etc but not being an expert, not enough for me to come forward with anything useful.

All I can think of and may be miles off base is that numbers 1 - 6 score 10 points. Presume none of the switches closed or wires touching at the back?

I will keep tabs on the thread if I can add anything useful!

#6 8 years ago

Understood. Will do.

Thanks

#7 8 years ago

Already triple checked them.

Thanks

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have Ice Review/schematic etc but not being an expert, not enough for me to come forward with anything useful.
All I can think of and may be miles off base is that numbers 1 - 6 score 10 points. Presume none of the switches closed or wires touching at the back?
I will keep tabs on the thread if I can add anything useful!

#8 8 years ago

Hi Topcard
DirtFlipper asks "Is the Score-Motor also running continuosly too ?" You should answer.
When playing a ball: the 10-Point-Score-Reel steps - because You make 10 points.
During the "Reset": The Score-Motor pulses the Score-Reels.

So IT IS important: "Is the Score-Motor also running continuosly too ?". Greetings Rolf

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Is the score motor also running continuously too?
If you disconnect the small Jones plug the runs from the playfield to the backbox and it stops, then it's a 10pt scoring feature. If it continues, then it's the reset path.

Okay, so I removed the plug and the score motor keeps running, but the scoring didn't register. So does that mean it's a ten point scoring feature? I kind of hope so, even though I thought I checked them all, because at least I can figure it out through the process of elimination.

Thanks

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

Okay, so I removed the plug and the score motor keeps running, but the scoring didn't register. So does that mean it's a ten point scoring feature? I kind of hope so, even though I thought I checked them all, because at least I can figure it out through the process of elimination.
Thanks

yes, that's what that would suggest. But just to doubly confirm, with the Jones plug back in, while the 10s is running up, observe the N relay and see if it's pulsing. If so, then that's due to a score feature and not reset.

The score motor running suggests that the scoring feature problem is due to something that scores a multiple of 10, like 50 points.

So another thing to check is whether the 50pt relay is stuck on while this is happening (I think that's the 'V' relay). Then if that's also true, the next thing to figure out is what's causing V to get stuck on.

Anyway plug back the Jones plug, watch if N is pulsing along, then check if V is stuck on.

#11 8 years ago

Check switches at each hole.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

yes, that's what that would suggest. But just to doubly confirm, with the Jones plug back in, while the 10s is running up, observe the N relay and see if it's pulsing. If so, then that's due to a score feature and not reset.
The score motor running suggests that the scoring feature problem is due to something that scores a multiple of 10, like 50 points.
So another thing to check is whether the 50pt relay is stuck on while this is happening (I think that's the 'V' relay). Then if that's also true, the next thing to figure out is what's causing V to get stuck on.
Anyway plug back the Jones plug, watch if N is pulsing along, then check if V is stuck on.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Okay, so the 50 point relay (V) is not stuck on. The five point relay (U) is pulsing, as is the ten point relay (M) in the head. The other relays that are active are the hole control relays which both keep alternating on and off with each other. Lastly, the reset relay stays engaged. I don't know if that's supposed to or not. I cannot seem to find any point feature that is active.

The only other thing I have observed, and I didn't think it was relevant but maybe it is, it that the hundreds reel sometimes makes several revolutions before it stops at zero and the game begins. I assume this is just a switch that needs adjusting but I haven't done it yet as these particular reels are tricky to disassemble and I already had it apart once. Again, it doesn't seem relevant to the issue at hand, but at this point, I'm assuming nothing.

Thanks for all the input.

#13 8 years ago

Play worse I guess. I never have the problem of my games not scoring. I have the problem of them not scoring enough.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

The five point relay (U) is pulsing

The 5-point relay is pulsing (which will run the score motor), but the 1-point relay in the head is not? And 10 points are being scored, and not 1 (or 5 at a time)? Does the 5-point relay stay energized for a 1/3 rev of the score motor, or is it just pulsing quickly?

Could be two separate things at play here, but just wanted to confirm that's what it's doing for sure.

#15 8 years ago

I had a similar issue on a machine. I saw that two of the post (where the wires are soldered)on the reset relay or the scoring relay [cant remember] were touching. It made the scoring wheels contunue to run. Might be worth a quick look.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

The other relays that are active are the hole control relays which both keep alternating on and off with each other.

Those activate (and alternate) with the score motor running.

Quoted from Topcard:

the reset relay stays engaged

This trips following completion of the score reel reset, and stays tripped until next game start.

But the U relay is only activated by a switch on the Q relay (normally). Is the Q relay also activating?

Otherwise, the lock-in switch on U could also be creating a path to activating it, if it was stuck closed. It would then de-energize whenever motor 2B opened, then energize again. But if U is activating, a switch closing there should be activating the 1-point relay (N).

Anyway, from the existing problems, finding out what's causing U to activate seems best. So it's either from Q activating, or from U's own lock-in switch.

#17 8 years ago

I'd check the 4 side drains, bottom of the playfield. These 4 rollovers have 2 switches each. They are 5 points when not lit, 50 points when lit and both switches need to make when the rollover actuator is depressed. Check the other end of each switch making sure you don't have a wire lug touching another.

Now that you revealed it's the 5 point relay staying energized, and not the 50 point relay, probably safe to assume the hole switches are OK.

Once all score reels reach "0" the reset relay, (on the bank), will energize, stopping the score motor enabling you to begin your game. This relay is in the reset state ONLY during the reset mode. Once everything has been reset, the relay will energize, and you will notice it is in the tripped state the rest of the time. You are correct in that the 100's reel keeps moving because its "Run-out" Switch is not making well at 0 and needs to be cleaned.

#18 8 years ago

Problem Solved! So I tried everything you guys suggested, and then went back and re examined the Q relay. I had been so focused on the contacts, that I never noticed that one of the switch blade lugs was bent and touching the one next to it. I quickly straightened it out, and sure enough, everything worked fine. It's always so simple when you find the answer, but finding the answer is always so hard! It once took me eight hours and a pair of magnifying glasses before I discovered a cat hair across a contact was causing a problem on another game I had. I can't thank you all enough for the help you provided, it is greatly appreciated.

Now, if all of you could indulge me a little further, after I got things working, I noticed that the 50 points score on the outlane is only scoring 40 points. I'm sure this is a simple one, but it would be even simpler if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

#19 8 years ago

Is it only doing that on the outlane?

If you manually activate the V relay, does it score 50 pts?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Is it only doing that on the outlane?
If you manually activate the V relay, does it score 50 pts?

Yes, only the outlane. The fifty points that get scored from the holes on the playfield score fine. I believe that is the only other thing that scores fifty points. I only had a few moments tonight to work on it and forgot to check and see what happens if I activate the V relay. Will do that tomorrow.

Thanks

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

The fifty points that get scored from the holes on the playfield score fine. I believe that is the only other thing that scores fifty points.

yes, I think that's correct.

What's curious though is that both the kickout holes and the bottom rollovers activate the 'V' relay, and the 'V' relay is what scores the 50 points.

The kickout hole switch activates the C relay, and a switch on C activates V. V then locks in via its own switch and a switch at motor 2B.

But the four bottom rollovers also activate V, and once activated, V should behave the same (i.e., lock in and score the 50pts). The only difference is that in order for a bottom rollover to be worth 50 pts, the 1, 2, 5, or 6 target needs to have been achieved, which lights one of the rollovers for 50 pts.

So would be interested to know how V behaves when activated alone.

Another thing to observe is how long V stays locked on when a bottom rollover only scores 40 pts. To get 50 pts, it should stay energized for the full 1/3 rev of the score motor (to get the full five scoring pulses from it).

#22 8 years ago

As I mentioned above, each of the 4 outlanes have 2 switches underneath. Also, outholes are scoring 50, so the V lock circuit is fine.

#23 8 years ago

Okay, so a couple of things, the first of which it pains me to admit. I realized this evening that the identifying strip next to the relays was turned around. So all this time I've been working on the wrong relays. The one I mentioned earlier that had the lugs touching was in fact C not Q and so on! As for the now correct V relay, it stays activated for the full 1/3 revolution of the score motor, and Q and U activate at the same time as well. Only had a few moments again tonight, but will have plenty of time to work on it this weekend.

Thanks

#24 8 years ago

So at this point:

- if you activate the V relay, it locks on, 50 points are scored, then V lets go. Correct?

- if you activate the C relay, V then energizes, and 50 points are scored. Correct?

- if you trip one of 1T, 2T, 5T, or 6T (these are the Target relays on the Sequence bank), then activate the corresponding lit bottom rollover, V energizes, but only 40 points are scored? And V stays energized for the same duration as above?

Since both the C relay (for the kickout holes) and the bottom rollovers all end up energizing V, and V is what controls scoring 50 points, I'm not seeing a way for it to only score 40, given the paths are in common.

If you activate C a few times, does it always score 50, or does it ever score 40? If it sometimes also scores 40, then that would make more sense.

#25 8 years ago

Okay, so I did as suggested and whenever I activated C, it would always score 50 points. But through the outlane always stayed at 40 points. Then I notived that the difference between the outhole and the outlane, is that with the outlane, Q and U also get activated. So I started adjusting the switches a little and sure enough, there was a switch on U that must have been gapped a little too close and cutting off power too soon, because when I adjusted the gap, Problem Solved!

Thanks again guys for all the help. I really appreciate it! I'll post a few pics when I get it all back together.

#26 8 years ago

Interesting. Sounds like it was fighting with the 5-point scoring (Q and U are for 5-points on the bottom rollovers).

Good catch!

#27 8 years ago

Thought those who helped might appreciate a little before and after photo. Thanks again all for the help.

IMG_1425.JPGIMG_1425.JPGIMG_1542.JPGIMG_1542.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-ice-revue-wont-stop-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.