Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm currently working on a "Hurdy Gurdy" that I'm planning on bringing to the Saratoga show next weekend. One of the issues it had was a fried alternating unit coil. I replaced the coil, but noticed something I thought was odd. It seems that the coil is energized on even numbers on the one point score reel, and it's turned off on odd numbers. OK, but here's the weird part. If the game ends on an even number, the coil remains energized even in "game over". Somehow, that doesn't seem right. I would think that the coil would eventually overheat, even though it's a somewhat continuous duty coil as is the hold relay coil.
I was looking for a schematic, which I could have sworn I had, but couldn't find it. I looked at both a "Subway" and a "Square Head" schematic which I imagine would be similar. I pretty much went through every switch in the game, and could not find anything abnormal that would make the coil stay on.
Are there any "Hurdy Gurdy" owners out there that can check their game to see if this is in fact normal? I'm going to be getting a schematic, but would hopefully like to have this resolved quickly as I'm running out of time to get this game ready for the show. The rest of the game does normally de-energize in "game over"
via the center switch of the three stacked in the back of the ball count unit. The game had a two-play/coin modification done on it, but I undid everything and was hoping that would fix it, but it did not.
This one has me stumped, but maybe it's normal?

#2 5 years ago

On central park it goes through the game over relay (same as the score reels, etc) so it seems like it should turn off. Is it possible the resistor or alternator has been rewired to a non red+white wire?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

On central park it goes through the game over relay (same as the score reels, etc) so it seems like it should turn off. Is it possible the resistor or alternator has been rewired to a non red+white wire?

Yeah, add-a-balls are a totally different animal with no game over relay.
I didn’t see any evidence of wiring hacks other than the mod which I undid.
Looking at the schematics for the other two games again, I'm thinking this is normal. If so, I'll have to call Wayne Neyens and give him a little heck about it! Seems like a bad design.

#4 5 years ago

Yea, your machine is working as designed. The Alternating Relay is wired direct with only
the 1s score reel breaking the current while on odd numbers..
It may not be the best design, but it's working accurately...

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yea, your machine is working as designed. The Alternating Relay is wired direct with only
the 1s score reel breaking the current while on odd numbers..
It may not be the best design, but it's working accurately...

I was getting the feeling that I was dealing with a non-issue. Thanks for checking yours.

#6 5 years ago

I did some creative engineering and added an additional switch to the ball count unit which opens and de-energizes the alternating unit relay at game over.
This should help keep the coil healthy and allow it to cool when the game is idle.

#7 5 years ago

The YouTube videos I've seen seem to corroborate the fact that it's normal operation for the alternating relay to stay on if the score ends with an even number. One video shows a game where the alternator appears to be inoperational. I think my modification will prolong the life of the coil.
If anyone wants to know how I did it, send me a pm.

#8 5 years ago

This past Winter, I've done something similar to an United 5th Inning.
On the last shot, if the puck hadn't made it back to the front of the game
and trigger a switch to de-energize the puck relay, that relay would remain
energized after the game was over. I tied that circuit into the game over relay
which cut the puck relay's circuit at the end of the game..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-hurdy-gurdy-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.