2DE97D95-D26A-4EC3-AAB6-800BEF975FF4 (resized).jpeg
3525CD47-0709-44D8-88F2-AB2A2C7AB3F2 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6CF90CC3-DAF1-484F-A080-782DAD54F91E (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all-

I have a Gottlieb hot shots, 1989.

Bottom left of Playfield there’s a “kick save” feature. It is not working. When the light is lit, and the ball rolls over the wire - the appropriate sound is played. Coil doesn’t fire (because the fuse is blown)

Because The fuse blows after the system boots up/game starts I’ve temporarily wired in a circuit breaker in place of the fuse. If I reset the breaker while the game is “in play”, the coil immediately fires and stays energized until the breaker trips (1-2 seconds)

Coil is new (proper Gottlieb parts) diode tests fine. Coil is wired properly

I’m feeling like it’s a transistor failure?

I have replace the “bottle cap” transistor on the small board in the lower cabinet. But i can’t identify if there transistor on the A3 driver board. is there a 2n6043 (or similar) on the a3 driver board in back box?

It’s also strange that the coil for the kick save is not listed as part of the “solenoid test” list.....

I can find THIS assembly listed using EACH of the following terms: (annoying - why different terms for same thing!?)
-kick save
-left our rollover save ball if lit
-bottom left shooter

Any thoughts?

What else should I be looking for.

Thx
Pete

6CF90CC3-DAF1-484F-A080-782DAD54F91E (resized).jpeg6CF90CC3-DAF1-484F-A080-782DAD54F91E (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Take a look at the page with the playfield image and switch & lamp assignments.

There's a note in the parts catalog: L15 enables bottom left shooter

I don't have a manual for this specific game so I don't have schematics, but are there any transistor driver boards under the playfield? I'm guessing that L15 might run through one of those.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Take a look at the page with the playfield image and switch & lamp assignments.
There's a note in the parts catalog: L15 enables bottom left shooter
I don't have a manual for this specific game so I don't have schematics, but are there any transistor driver boards under the playfield? I'm guessing that L15 might run through one of those.

Yes - there’s a small driver board in the lower cabinet, board 2a16. 2 transistors/drivers on this board. one of which is at position #q3 and is part number 2n5879. I already replaced this with a new one. (This section of the schematic is shown in the photo in my original post above)

Regarding L15 that you mention in your post - there’s no L15 in the manual. See attached photo of the switch/lamp assignments page below. So I have no clue what that is you’re looking at in the parts catalog. Such a pain!

Since the coil wants to energize/stay energized when the breaker is reset - whatever is supposed to suppress/interrupts the circuit is failing. I have very limited understanding of these things, but that makes me think it’s the transistor/driver. (If this was an EM I would simply find the stuck switch. But - I guess it’s not that easy here

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Regarding L15 that you mention in your post - there’s no L15 in the manual.

That's because it's acting as a solenoid, not a lamp.

Gottlieb ran out of solenoid slots, so they started using lamps as triggers for transistor boards.

Quoted from petebest:

So I have no clue what that is you’re looking at in the parts catalog.

Look at the list of notes above the list of solenoid assignments.

Quoted from petebest:

Since the coil wants to energize/stay energized when the breaker is reset - whatever is supposed to suppress/interrupts the circuit is failing.

Look at the driver board and what drives L15. I'm guessing the transistor for L15 on the driver board may be locking on.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's because it's acting as a solenoid, not a lamp.
Gottlieb ran out of solenoid slots, so they started using lamps as triggers for transistor boards.

Look at the list of notes above the list of solenoid assignments.

Look at the driver board and what drives L15. I'm guessing the transistor for L15 on the driver board may be locking on.

Wow. Nice job. I think I see what you’re referring to.

This? Q16?

2DE97D95-D26A-4EC3-AAB6-800BEF975FF4 (resized).jpeg2DE97D95-D26A-4EC3-AAB6-800BEF975FF4 (resized).jpeg3525CD47-0709-44D8-88F2-AB2A2C7AB3F2 (resized).jpeg3525CD47-0709-44D8-88F2-AB2A2C7AB3F2 (resized).jpeg
#7 3 years ago

Thank you for your help. I must have had severe tunnel vision and never would have seen that.

Parts ordered. I’ll provide an update once repaired

Pete

2 years later
#8 10 months ago

Found your post while working on a Gottlieb 1989 Lights Camera Action. My left "kick save" is not even shown in manual. If you still have your game can you post a picture with the apron removed of the kick save assembly? Of if your manual shows a blowout diagram of the kick save post that? Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-hot-shots-cant-identify- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.