(Topic ID: 119355)

Gottlieb Hot A-4893 Pop Bumper Coil Question (or How Much is Too Much?)

By MikeO

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NicoVolta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

I have done this before and agree that three layers of wire is about right.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

How many turns is that? I've always heard to unwind about 40 turns if you want a snappier pop bumper or a louder knocker. Not that I would do such a thing...!

number of turns would vary depending on the wire gauge. I think 40 is way low, likely more like 140 to equal three layers of the coil bobbin....!

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

I didn't count the turns or mic the wire gauge. I can do a quick count on the two coils I have left to modify tonight. I'm going to guess 120-150.
    The problem is it's easy to spool off the wire. I don't know why I didn't try this before instead of buying 6 hot coils at $7.50 each.

Well, I didn't want to sound like a cheapskate, but I had that very thought when I read you had bought those 'hot' ones. Not that hard to do, just be careful with the wrapper and you can reuse that with hardly any evidence that it has been tampered with!

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

I think there are a couple of competing issues here:
    The lower the number of turns, the lower the resistance
    The lower the resistance, the more current.
    The more current the higher the force.
    But....if you wrap the wire around 3 times, obviously this won't hold up, so there are some parameters you likely need to operate within.
    Then, you probably need to consider power dissipation and the ability of the hot coil to not self destruct.
    As you lower the turns, you are passing more current/power.
    Generally, the more current you pass, the larger diameter you want the wire to be. BUT since you just unwrapped the wire, you are stuck with what you have.
    So....you may end up with crunchy, burned up coils, depending on how far you go. I don't do this, but I have worked on games and had to replace crunchy, burned up, homemade hot coils.
    YMMV.

That's a good point about longevity. That concern has been raised about high-tapping games that are using full house current. Steve Young has told me high-tapping will not harm your coils/mechs. My take would be there might be some minimal extra wear there, but we are talking about home use, with limited plays. Same could be said about the 'hot' coils. Agreed, don't go too far with the concept and you will stay within an acceptable amount of extra heat. Since Steve sells them, I would think he's had feedback that would support their use without long term issues.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-hot-a-4893-pop-bumper-coil-question-or-how-much-is-too-much?tu=stashyboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.