20150519_210316.jpg
20150526_144010.jpg
20150525_215959.jpg
20150525_231701.jpg
20150525_215937.jpg
20150524_181724.jpg
20150524_181652.jpg
20150524_181703.jpg
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'll offer that when those switches are set to on, they sometimes aren't really on. They fail. Set it to on, then buzz across the switch terminals to ensure its making. Or, jumper across the switch since it's supposed to be always on. This would be the first example of Gottlieb documentation leaving a mystery.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but how do I do what you're saying to do? Lol. I imagine if I pull the board and flip it over it may become more clear?

#102 8 years ago

yes. You'll need to remove the board. Set switch 4 on, then buzz between the switch solder pads. Validate your technique by buzzing an open switch and more than one closed switch.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#103 8 years ago

I am assuming this can be tested with power off and totally disconnected? Sorry for all the questions...learning as I go here.

Buzzing meaning continuity?

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

I am assuming this can be tested with power off and totally disconnected? Sorry for all the questions...learning as I go here.
Buzzing meaning continuity?

Yes you are correct on both.

#105 8 years ago

Dips were good on sound board but I reflowed solder on dip 4 just because it's the only one that is ever on. Also reflowed solder on both test switches. Then I pulled the auxiliary power supply and reflowed solder at a few points. Played six games and got one chimey beep and one tonal beep...not sure what to look at next. Any ideas?

I did score my all time high score of 9+ million points tonight though.

#106 8 years ago

We are all making assumptions about what you are hearing. I doubt you'll get additional decent advice without posting a video of the symptom. Without that, we are shooting in the dark.
--
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#107 8 years ago

at 49sec mark the infamous CHIMEY BEEP!!!

#108 8 years ago

Wow. I need some folks with better ears than mine to "chime" in...
The first time I listened to it, I thought I heard something. The next 10 times I listened, I couldn't hear anything odd.
--
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#109 8 years ago

It's right at 49sec...if you turn it up and listen carefully you should definitely hear the out of place chime. I'll try and record the other louder tonal beep next...

#110 8 years ago

Mine has always done it, likely always will. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I've had mine at least 5 years now.

#111 8 years ago

Similarly, my 80B (Spring Break) has a sound quirk: completing the Special shot when Special is unlit plays a certain sound sequence. Sometimes it plays it what I am assuming to be "correctly", other times it plays it ending in five beeps. The beeps seem to happen if there is more than one ball in play and/or if there are a lot of other sound being triggered at the same time.

One thing to keep in mind, as I understand it, the 80B sound boards are analog. Digitally controlled, yes, but analog synthesis. As a musician who has spent time working with analog synthesizers, I can testify to them being prone to random quirks. I don't believe it's a grounding issue as suggested in previous posts. Maybe ROMs are getting old? I am unaware how much of an issue old ROMs can be in a pin (my 80B is my first SS machine). But I've been assuming when it happens on my machine, it's just a quack up in the sound board's ability to process commands and generate sounds.

#112 8 years ago

Sometimes if the MPU is busy doing something, it won't register something else that happens - i.e. if it's busy with registering a pop bumper hit, it won't register a lane change or a hit on a standup target. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

#113 8 years ago

So I have sent several emails to a guy on eBay who sells pinball roms and he won't reply to me. Any idea where I can buy a complete set of sound roms (all 4 chips)?

#114 8 years ago

Pinball Resource.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Pinball Resource.

I can't think of anywhere else that would have them either.

www.ksarcade.net sells the 80b MPU roms if you buy a new Swemmer control board (which you can't even get if you buy the board directly from Swemmer on eBay) so mAYBE Keith has the sound roms available too..?

Otherwise it's Steve Young at Pinball Resource, the last Knight Templar of the Holy Gottlieb Grail, the Dr. John Hammond of Jurassic Gottlieb Park, the Enterprise's mission of space: Gottliebs final frontier... umm.....

#116 8 years ago

I heard the cimes at 45 and 49 sec

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I heard the cimes at 45 and 49 sec

The chime at 45 seconds is an actual sound effect. The one at 49 seconds is not.

#118 8 years ago

Thanks guys! I'll give Steve a call.

#119 8 years ago

I think you are going way overboard on this issue. I heard "it" in the video and it sounds like it goes to something in the game. It does not sound abnormal. Whenever I get around to flipping the DIP switch on my game I will let you know if it happens on my game, but honestly I would stop worrying about it. You've single-handedly crafted the most useful Hollywood Heat tech thread of all time, so there is at least that.

#120 8 years ago

You can get Gottlieb roms form John's jukes in canada he's an official seller of Gottlieb roms.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I think you are going way overboard on this issue. I heard "it" in the video and it sounds like it goes to something in the game. It does not sound abnormal. Whenever I get around to flipping the DIP switch on my game I will let you know if it happens on my game, but honestly I would stop worrying about it. You've single-handedly crafted the most useful Hollywood Heat tech thread of all time, so there is at least that.

Lol...I promise you that sound is not a normal sound effect. It only happens once every few games. There is also the louder tonal beep which I have yet to record. I will probably replace the roms depending on cost and if that doesn't fix it I will probably give up as I have no idea what I would even do next.

#122 8 years ago

Lol...I promise you that sound is not a normal sound effect. It only happens once every few games. There is also the louder tonal beep which I have yet to record. I will probably replace the roms depending on cost and if that doesn't fix it I will probably give up as I have no idea what I would even do next.

So, I went into my game last night and flipped the dip switches and sure enough, all of the sound began playing. It's funny playing it with all the extra effects now, I'm so used to playing it without them. The benefit to playing the way I was is that the music never cut out. With all the extra sound effects I notice they are interrupting the music at times.

I am fairly certain I heard the exact noise in your video as well. It happened once in the four or five games I put on it. Maybe it's a bug in the software, I don't know, but I don't think it's relegated to just your machine. If you can get a video of the more noticeable "beep" you are talking about, that would be good. Otherwise with three people experiencing the same issue, I'd chalk it up to being a Hollywood Heat thing and not a problem with your game.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Hello all, I've gotten great advice and answers here and I need your help again. I have received a Gottlieb (Premier) Hollywood Heat in a trade and its a fun machine but has a couple issues.
1) None of the 10 pt. scoring switches will score. Slingshots work, but should score 10 pts, but they do not. Also they don't produce a sound when hit. Where is the issue with this? All other scoring seems perfectly normal.
2) After the machine has been on for about 15 min, the sound board starts cutting out, makes goofy noises, sometimes the tempo of the music gets too fast; eventually the sound board goes out. The LED goes from blinking to solid.
I have a new Ni-Wump Driver board installed, and all sounds work at the start except whats mentioned above. This a voltage issue? I do have an updated 5v power supply board on its way. And is it worth putting a new Ni-Wump control board in? Any feedback on these?
THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!

Did the OP questions ever get addressed??? Major thread hijack by crujones4life...

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Did the OP questions ever get addressed??? Major thread hijack by crujones4life...

LOL. I forgot the OP even made a post. I got sidetracked by the Crujones business and ended up thinking he was the OP.

#125 8 years ago

I think the beep is a normal glitch. Mine did it after all repairs and upgrades. I ended up selling my machine anyway for a he altho price. Got my Truck stop that I currently own. Great machine!!!

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

LOL. I forgot the OP even made a post. I got sidetracked by the Crujones business and ended up thinking he was the OP.

LMAO!!! Exactly

#127 8 years ago

I usually start my own thread when I have issues but the site wouldn't let me at the time...

#128 8 years ago

The sound you are getting is normal for hollywood heat. Sound Roms are not going to fix the issue.

It is a normal sound from one of the switches in the machine. I cant remember what one. But I know I activated that sound when I did my evil dead conversion of Hollywood Heat.

I think if i remember correctly its around the captive ball area. Or near the ramp exit Either the target in there or a switch behind a rubber by it.

If pinside would let me upload pics i could point it out to you. If you have the manual look for switch 32a i thinks its behind a rubber.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

The sound you are getting is normal for Hollywood Heat. Sound Roms are not going to fix the issue.
It is a normal sound from one of the switches in the machine. I cant remember what one. But I know I activated that sound when I did my evil dead conversion of Hollywood Heat.
I think if i remember correctly its in the captive ball area. Either the target in there or a switch behind the rubber up there.

Thanks for the reply! I still have to replace the captive ball with a new ball so I will check all those switches out when I do. Thanks!

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

If pinside would let me upload pics i could point it out to you. If you have the manual look for switch 32a i thinks its behind a rubber.

I do have the manual. I'll check it out. Thanks again!

#131 8 years ago

Well...I removed all the plastics up top to replace the ball and clean that part of the playfield. I activated every and I mean EVERY single switch. That chime that randomly occurs does not belong to any switch on this game (this includes all 5 #32 switches). Thanks anyway erak...Appreciate you trying to help me out. What I did hear when I put everything back together was that louder tonal beep (anyone else get this one on their Hollywood Heat as well?) but I didn't get it on camera. If I ever get it recorded I will upload it. As often as it occurs I just find it really hard to believe that it has always been there and nobody at Gottlieb decided to do anything about it. I wanted to replace the sound roms but at $26 each x 3 (PBR) that ain't happening. The last thing I will be doing is adding the extra 5v and ground wires between the MPU and driver board...then I'm done. I'll either find a way to live with it or sell it...lol. Thanks everyone!

#132 8 years ago

find a way to live with it

My money is on this. As far as I know there is no fix. I've heard them all, trust me. I've logged many thousand games on my HH. The sounds are random, they aren't associated with anything. Don't lose too much sleep over it if you are going to continue

1 week later
#133 8 years ago

And there you have it. Someone else's video showing loud tonal beep at 0:01 and chimey beep at 2:01. I can finally let it go...lol. Thanks again everyone.

#134 8 years ago

Also check out that sweet limo mod!

#135 8 years ago

Anyone know what size coil sleeves Hollywood Heat uses? For upper and lower flippers? Also Marco shows 3/8" and 1/2" width as possible sizes for lower flippers. Which one is factory?

1 week later
#136 8 years ago

I get my rebuild kits from pbresource http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html#KT-GFLIP03 The sleeve is a5064, which is 1 3/4". http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7066 (You should get the kit to rebuild the whole shebang)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-hollywood-heat-system-80b-help/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.