Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by supermoot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_2015-06-13-00-58-20.png
20150601_183222.jpg
20150519_210316.jpg
20150526_144010.jpg
20150525_215959.jpg
20150525_231701.jpg
20150525_215937.jpg
20150524_181724.jpg
20150524_181652.jpg
20150524_181703.jpg

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Hello all, I've gotten great advice and answers here and I need your help again. I have received a Gottlieb (Premier) Hollywood Heat in a trade and its a fun machine but has a couple issues.

1) None of the 10 pt. scoring switches will score. Slingshots work, but should score 10 pts, but they do not. Also they don't produce a sound when hit. Where is the issue with this? All other scoring seems perfectly normal.

2) After the machine has been on for about 15 min, the sound board starts cutting out, makes goofy noises, sometimes the tempo of the music gets too fast; eventually the sound board goes out. The LED goes from blinking to solid.

I have a new Ni-Wump Driver board installed, and all sounds work at the start except whats mentioned above. This a voltage issue? I do have an updated 5v power supply board on its way. And is it worth putting a new Ni-Wump control board in? Any feedback on these?

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!

#2 4 years ago

Have you tried cleaning the switches that would be responsible for detecting scoring? Usually running an index card between the contacts cleans them up.

#3 4 years ago

There are 5 switches that should score 10 and produce a sound. 1 is actually broken, the other 4 are clean and in tact. I'm thinking a faulty return on the control board?

1 month later
#4 4 years ago

Sometimes my Hollywood Heat will beep once ( short beep) during a game... Sometimes this happens more than once per game. But everything continues to work fine. What could this be? How can I fix it? Thanks!

#6 4 years ago

I will give it a shot.......

1) Bad connector.....clean the edge connectors with a fibrepen or something like that. Doesn't hurt to do this for all the boards after all those years.

2) Low 5V causing the soundboard to reset from time to time.....adjust the +5V with the little potmeter at the +5V powersupply. (Often these potmeters are bad, replace it with a new one or fixed resisitors)

3) The ROM's at the soundboard are dying.

#7 4 years ago

I'll remove, clean, and reseat the connectors. Is there a test point for the 5v?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

I'll remove, clean, and reseat the connectors. Is there a test point for the 5v?

All the pins from the top connector at the 5V power supply deliver +5V.

Ground is present at the right 2 pins (white wire) from the lower connector at the +5V power supply.

Marco

#9 4 years ago

Thanks man! I'll check it out and report back.

#10 4 years ago

I get 5.01v. Right where I should be. I removed and reseated all the connectors. One thing I noticed was all connections were very tight except A1J5. Played a couple games without hearing the beep. We shall see. Would next step be new roms or maybe a new connector?

#11 4 years ago

A1 J5 controls the cabinet switches....(slam -disable at your CPU board, often troublesome-, the coin switches, startbutton, etc.), it doesn't affect the behaviour of your soundboard unless the slamswitch kicks in...but then the CPU and soundboards will be reset completely. Sometimes these A1J5 and A1 J6 connectors are affected by a leaking battery at the CPU board, this can be easily seen when you look inside these connectors.

If you are still experiencing problems the ROM's *might* be the culprit.....

#12 4 years ago

Mine has a lithium battery. Board looks to be super clean. Has not had ground mod done. Played a few more games with no issue. Hopefully the problem is gone. Thanks again for your help!

#13 4 years ago

If you still have problems resolder the pins on the power supply, i had issues with my genesis because of cold solder joints on the power supply.

#14 4 years ago

Sounds like the problem is connector related. I hate to say it but it may be working now but the problem will come back. I agree with crlush, the only solution is to install new crimps and re-flow the solder around all power supply header pins. It's doubtful that the ROM's are the cause since the game is working at the moment (again), if they get corrupt, they don't work and in most severe cases, the tilt light will start flashing.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#15 4 years ago

I can reflow solder as I have done that before but what are the header pins? Is that what's on the opposite side of the top and bottom connectors on the power supply?

#16 4 years ago

Correct, new solder on the underside of the pins at the board. The pins tend to develop cracks in the solder around them.

Steve

I can reflow solder as I have done that before but what are the header pins? Is that what's on the opposite side of the top and bottom connectors on the power supply?

#18 4 years ago

Resoldering the header pins is a good advce, cracked solder joints are pretty comon there. If not already mentionend, also tighten the screws at the LM338K regulator, they can become loose over the years.

Marco

#19 4 years ago

So I tightened the screws on the dealy and one was loose. I tried reflowing solder on the pins but I was afraid to keep the iron near the traces for too long for fear of lifting them. That old solder just didn't want to liquify. Maybe I should get some rosin and try again? What kind should I buy? I put the power supply back in. Read essentially the same voltage 4.99v. Then 1st game I get a random beep. What's weird is that nothing else happens. Just a beep.

#20 4 years ago

I meant flux...not rosin.

#21 4 years ago

Can anyone verify ground mods were done by these pics?

#22 4 years ago

Damn uploader won't work.

#24 4 years ago

20150524_181724.jpg20150524_181652.jpg20150524_181703.jpg

#25 4 years ago

Ground mods are in the bottom of the cabinet.

Here is a tnt video showing where they are.

More than likely if you have a sound issue its the power supply pot.

Check the thread I linked earlier in the post. If you keep adjusting stuff without first changing the pot you risk frying your machine. So before going any further change the pot. And the cap in the bottom of the cabinet.

Follow the guide I posted to check the voltages with the other boards unplugged. Then put it back together and check and adjust the voltages again under load.

Here again is the complete guide to 100% fix your problem

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hollywood-heat-sound-issues

#26 4 years ago

I keep using the wrong terms...lol. I actually meant the extra ground wire (not ground mods) that Todd also shows in his video. The one he always points to in the connector I posted. "You have to add the extra ground wire" lol.

I let the machine stay on for a couple of hours. Still at 4.99v. I left the leads in the pins and played a few games. Voltage never dropped below 4.97v. If it is the pot. Wouldn't the voltage fluctuate? Or not necessarily?

I will check out that link again.

#27 4 years ago

So I tightened the screws on the dealy and one was loose. I tried reflowing solder on the pins but I was afraid to keep the iron near the traces for too long for fear of lifting them. That old solder just didn't want to liquify. Maybe I should get some rosin and try again? What kind should I buy? I put the power supply back in. Read essentially the same voltage 4.99v. Then 1st game I get a random beep. What's weird is that nothing else happens. Just a beep.

I think I need to clarify something. Especially after reading the other thread linked here. My random beep does not happen right away and then no sound or no music. My sound and music work just fine it's just that sometimes I get a random beep in the middle of a game that sounds out of place (like not a normal sound effect). However my sound and music continue to work before and after the beep without ever missing a beat (no resetting). Actually once today i am pretty sure I heard the screetch sound that normally occurs on the middle left rollover when I was playing on the upper playfield. You know...now that I think about it the beep that seems to happen randomly has always happened when I'm on the upper playfield...

#28 4 years ago

I just found a Todd's Tips video where he does the ground mod in like 10 minutes. Way too easy to not do. So I am going to do that asap. I hope that takes care of it. If not I will replace the large cap in the bottom.

#29 4 years ago

Before and after ground mod.
20150525_231701.jpg20150525_215937.jpg

#30 4 years ago

1st picture is after the mod. Took me an hour cause I suck.

#31 4 years ago

I just found a Todd's Tips video where he does the ground mod in like 10 minutes. Way too easy to not do. So I am going to do that asap. I hope that takes care of it. If not I will replace the large cap in the bottom.

Do you have a link to this video? I'd like to know how to do this mod at the power supply area, I still have the original molex connectors on the game. I'm having some major sound issues with Hollywood Heat, as well as an issue with some of the flashers locking on (Todd mentioned in another video that it should be fixed with the ground mods). Some of my issues could be related to grounding.

#32 4 years ago

Watch "#690 Fixing GOTTLIEB System 80B GROUND Problems! TNT Amusements" on YouTube

#33 4 years ago

I just played several games with multimeter hooked up and never dropped below 4.98v. Still heard that beep like 3 times. Every time during multiball...

#34 4 years ago

Testing voltage at sound board harness pins.

Every pin tested DC voltage (pin 11 used for ground)

Pins 1-7 = 4.82 - 4.85v
Pin 8 = 0.54v
Pin 9 = 4.85v
Pin 10 = 0v
Pin 12 = -0v
Pin 13 = -12.43v
Pin 14= 12.61v
Pin 15 = 4.86v
Pin 16 = 4.86v
Pin 17 = -0v
Pin 18 = -0v
Pin 19 = 0v

And for the first time ever my music is gone! Just the sound effects are playing!

Voltage exactly the same before and after music dropped out.

#35 4 years ago

I removed cleaned and reseated all 3 sound roms. Sound came right back after turning off and on btw. I heard it again but now I am wondering if what I am hearing is actually a game sound or a random beep...I'm tired...lol. I did lose music before though so something isn't right.

#36 4 years ago

Is this the cap I should change? Where can I find a replacement?
20150525_215959.jpg

#37 4 years ago

Doing the cabinet ground mods to my HH fixed all the sound issues. I'd recommend this mod to every 80b owner. It's easy to do too.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Doing the cabinet ground mods to my HH fixed all the sound issues. I'd recommend this mod to every 80b owner. It's easy to do too.

Didn't fix mine...

Going to Radio Shack today for new cap and pot.

#39 4 years ago

Picked up some flux and pots. Hopefully the correct pot...lol.20150526_144010.jpg

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I did the ground mod shown in the TNT Amusements video when I got home from work this morning. Put a few games on it afterwards and all seems well. No sound cut-outs, and the other phantom issues I've been dealing with (like the game resetting out of nowhere, or giving me a slam tilt when opening the coindoor--even though the slam tilt switch is disconnected) seem to have disappeared as well. Even smacking the machine hard on either side didn't do anything like it used to (it used to either reset the game, or make the sound kick in and out). I highly recommend anyone that has one of these machines to do this mod if they haven't done so already.

#41 4 years ago

Damn. Congrats...wish it had fixed my issue...lol. I am thinking about just replacing some boards. New sound and power supply boards. Not sure yet.

#42 4 years ago

Yeah so I bought the wrong pots...lol. Ordered the right stuff (cap and pot) from Mouser. Fingers crossed everything works once I install them...I'll be back!

#43 4 years ago

Also today I heard the beep again and it is definitely not part of the normal sound effects. Just a loud tonal BEEP. Kinda like when I turn my Megatouch Jade 2 on.

#44 4 years ago

I just realized I have the display cover to Rock and not Hollywood Heat...lol. Oh well have more pressing issues currently.

20150519_210316.jpg

#45 4 years ago

If it's any consolation, I have always gotten an occasional phantom beep on mine.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

If it's any consolation, I have always gotten an occasional phantom beep on mine.

Mine as well. Never could figure out where it comes from

#47 4 years ago

Chris Hibler repaired my HH MPU board. Regardless of the current condition I would change out the daughter board on the MPU to make everything more reliable. This thing can cause all sorts of weird issues.

"I'd also recommend using the Great Plains Electronics replacement daughter
card. It's engineered much, much better than the original daughter
card. It has redundant trace connections and solders at both U2 and
U3, eliminating the "diving board" effect that the original card has."

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101

I would also recommend doing the Slam Tilt Mod.

The beep you experience I think is a normal sound during a reboot. Before I had my MPU repaired, the game would reset itself constantly. It would have the 1 tonal beep sound you are talking about each time it would reset.

After all the repairs, I can turn my game off and back on quickly and I will get the beep sound and the game boots up normally.

My suggestion would be to replace that daughter board on the MPU regardless. I might even clear up your issues.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Mine as well. Never could figure out where it comes from

This is really interesting...I will report back after cap and pot are changed and let you know if beep is still there. Could this be bad roms maybe?

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from DayDay:

Chris Hibler repaired my HH MPU board. Regardless of the current condition I would change out the daughter board on the MPU to make everything more reliable. This thing can cause all sorts of weird issues.
"I'd also recommend using the Great Plains Electronics replacement daughter
card. It's engineered much, much better than the original daughter
card. It has redundant trace connections and solders at both U2 and
U3, eliminating the "diving board" effect that the original card has."
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=140-101
I would also recommend doing the Slam Tilt Mod.
The beep you experience I think is a normal sound during a reboot. Before I had my MPU repaired, the game would reset itself constantly. It would have the 1 tonal beep sound you are talking about each time it would reset.
After all the repairs, I can turn my game off and back on quickly and I will get the beep sound and the game boots up normally.
My suggestion would be to replace that daughter board on the MPU regardless. I might even clear up your issues.

What's weird is that after the beep the sound/music still play and game keeps chugging along like it hadn't missed a beat. So if it is a "reset beep" what might be resetting?

#50 4 years ago

I'm with ya. It's a different issue that I didn't experience. My game would either lockup, or reset.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chester, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Vandelay Industries
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 8.40
$ 139.00
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 1,099.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside