Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a late 70's Gottlieb El Dorado single player. It was working very well after a recent repair when suddenly it will no longer start. After the startup sequence, the Hold Relay (R) is supposed to lock in, which activates the playfield, returns the ball, etc. The hold relay on my machine is de-activating when the start sequence ends.

If I read the schematic correctly, it locks in through a NO switch on R (provided all the tilt switches are ok) and remains so until a NC switch on the Tilt Relay (T) opens. But I cannot figure why it's not locking in.

It works when engaged manually or when power is jumpered to the to the relay. Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Most of the single player Gottliebs have a similar circuit for the hold relay. Yes, has a lock-in switch on the relay itself. There will be several anti-cheat/tilt switches that need to be making contact well. If the hold does engage with a pulse from the start relay, the anti-cheat switches may not be making contact. Check those, and that the lock-in switch on the hold (R) relay is also good. Pretty simple, there are only a few places it can have a fault .

#3 4 years ago

I am not at home to look at my volley papers. Does that relay have a latch
An a latch coil?

#4 4 years ago

If S is activating OK, then that means the normally closed Bounce and Anti-cheat switches are working (since they share the path to R).

That leaves just the normally closed Lightbox Tilt switch, normally closed switch on the Tilt relay (i.e., the game is not tilted), and the lock-in switch on R itself.

The Lightbox Tilt switch is a common culprit, as it's somewhat hidden in the backbox (aka 'Lightbox'). It will have a silver weight on it, and be mounted under the N relay on the left side of the backbox insert panel.

Otherwise, can jumper across segments of that path to isolate. (There is a jones plug involved too, since the signal has to reach the backbox.)

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the replys.

The Lightbox Tilt switch appears to be fine. I jumpered it and still had the problem.
Hold relay. The main weighted tilt (which has the weight removed) somehow became activated. The contacts were not within 1/4" but were somehow making a clean connection. I moved them further apart and all is well.

Just out of curiosity, the schematic indicates there are 3 NO tilt switches. I could only find 2, the weighted one below the left flipper switch and one under the playfield. Any idea where the third one might be?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from wammer_21:

Just out of curiosity, the schematic indicates there are 3 NO tilt switches. I could only find 2, the weighted one below the left flipper switch and one under the playfield. Any idea where the third one might be?

There's the one under the playfield (has the round silver weight on it), and then inside the cabinet there's the 'tilt bob', and the 'boll roll' tilt mounted on the same panel.

#7 4 years ago

Ah...didn't realize the 'tilt bob' and 'ball roll' were separate. That explains a lot (couldn't figure out how it worked). It was the 'tilt bob' that was causing the problem. Thanks again!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wammer_21:

Have seen several where the normally closed tilt switch that was supposed to be mounted to the lower main board had been removed & the wires soldered together.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
$ 89.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside