• Latest reply 1 year ago by Knxwledge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5232 (resized).JPG
IMG_5231 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I am in the process of sorting out a very neglected 1984 Gottlieb "The Games". I have a lot more familiarity with Bally and Sterns from the era, but I do have the PinWiki Sys 80 reference site, which is great.

There are two issues I wanted to bounce off those who might know. First, the state of the machine is the audio and the displays are out. I think I know why for the displays (missing CR7 on the power supply). Parts have been ordered. Anyway, the game boots up with those caveats. Questions:

1) When I hit the start button, the playfield lights briefly turn off, then I hear some under-playfield clicking, then it goes back to the lightshow. (I did load it up with a couple of quarters).

2) When I open the coin door, all the playfield lights go out. Without the head displays, I can't tell what it might be doing.

Either of these two ring a bell? Thanks. At least I got it going. The previous abuser had wrapped all the fuses with tinfoil. You can imagine how that went.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

When you initially turn the machine on, the GI should come on, then 5 seconds later you should hear those relays click once, then the game should go to attract. Is this happening? Also make sure the game has the proper number of balls installed

When I turn the machine on, it goes into attract mode almost immediately. I had the GI working yesterday, but after attempting to start a game (with the balls there), it went into a pause, then reverted back to the attract mode. The GI was working, then it wasn't. And I'm not hearing the clicking at all. I suspect before I do more I'll take the power supply board and replace mandatory changes as the Pinwiki suggests. It's a little irresponsible of me to test things without knowing I have a solid power supply. Once I do that, I expect I'll have displays, too. Here's two items, one on the sound board I already fixed. All the end result of bypassing fuses with tinfoil:

IMG_5231 (resized).JPGIMG_5231 (resized).JPGIMG_5232 (resized).JPGIMG_5232 (resized).JPG
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

This for sure. Gottlieb games won't do much if it doesn't detect a ball.

That's likely the interlock switch in the inside of the coin door frame. It cuts power to the game when you open the coin door.
Pull out the stopper on the big white push button switch, and you can keep the game on while the coin door is open.

It definitely is, but my question is, with a Bally I can open up the coin door to access the service button / game menu. How can you a self-test if it kills the game? Or adjust the volume control that's there? Seems like it's different from my Black Hole is this respect. Thanks

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pull out the stopper on the interlock switch, and you can test with the coin door open.

Well that was easy. Strange I didn't see it in the manual. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-hitting-start-button-pauses-light-show?tu=MtnFrost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.