(Topic ID: 79171)

Gottlieb High hand / Captain card webbing color ??

By dasvis

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7773.JPG
IMG_7771.JPG
IMG_7772.JPG
IMG_7770.JPG
IMG_1192 (Small).JPG
IMG_1191 (Small).JPG
IMG_1195 (Small).JPG
IMG_7769.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Getting sort of close to prepping for repaint. Cabinet had a crappy brushed on latex paint job. Looks like what remains underneath is too poor to leave as is. Pulled the side rails & it appears that the factory used an antique white base coat with silver webbing. Is this correct?

#2 10 years ago

Here is pic of my cabinet - all original - slight yellowing due to age.

Quick question re CC btw - mine lights the 100000 light when the score reaches 90000 instead of 100000. Switches in score reel have been checked. Any ideas? Thanks

IMG_7769.JPGIMG_7769.JPG
#3 10 years ago

I would think that it HAS to be in the score reel switches. What else could it be?
High hand does not have the 100,000 light so I'm not much help there.

Too cold to do any painting here, but I can prep for spring......... replacing bottom board, filling screw holes, stripping old latex.....
IMG_1191 (Small).JPGIMG_1191 (Small).JPGIMG_1192 (Small).JPGIMG_1192 (Small).JPGIMG_1195 (Small).JPGIMG_1195 (Small).JPG

#4 10 years ago

The webbing is black, don't think Gottlieb ever used silver. I agree, your 10,000 pt. score reel is likely to blame.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I would think that it HAS to be in the score reel switches. What else could it be?

Check(clean/adjust) your M&B on the J relay(m&b both wires maroon-white) as its showing on the schematic(6-7/g-h) 90,000/ 100,000 point score adj.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Check(clean/adjust) your M&B on the J relay(m&b both wires maroon-white) as its showing on the schematic(6-7/g-h) 90,000/ 100,000 point score adj.

Thanks. Well I cleaned contacts on J relay - still switches 100000 points light on at 90000 points ( and boy does this relay make a loud buzzing sound! ).

Pictures before it switches to 90000 and then 1 picture after. So far had me tinkering and 2 friends who really know their stuff and still going nowhere......

3rd picture shows it energized/buzzing.

IMG_7770.JPGIMG_7770.JPG
IMG_7771.JPGIMG_7771.JPG
IMG_7772.JPGIMG_7772.JPG

#7 10 years ago

You should replace that coil. It looks pretty burnt. I refurbished a Capt. Card a few years ago that had two coils in the AAb circuit that were like yours. It was tripping too soon (like yours does). After I changed them, it worked as it should.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

You should replace that coil. It looks pretty burnt. I refurbished a Capt. Card a few years ago that had two coils in the AAb circuit that were like yours. It was tripping too soon (like yours does). After I changed them, it worked as it should.

Never thought of that! Thanks

Do you know what coil numbers they are?

#9 10 years ago

It should be on the schematic (sorry, game was sold and I don't have the #) others may chime in......

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

It should be on the schematic (sorry, game was sold and I don't have the #) others may chime in......

Got a schematic - didn't know coil number was on it

You changed 2 coils? J relay and do you remember the other? Just in case I have the same issue.

Thanks

#11 10 years ago

The ones I changed were in the sequence complete bank that activate when all targets are down, not the J relay. Just saying that sometimes when a coil is burnt, it can do weird things even though it still sort of works, like tripping too early. Make sense?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

The ones I changed were in the sequence complete bank that activate when all targets are down, not the J relay. Just saying that sometimes when a coil is burnt, it can do weird things even though it still sort of works, like tripping too early. Make sense?

Yes, see what you mean. Good spot as looked closely and this coil has no wrapper - all the others do and it looks burnt. Think it could do with replacing. One next to it is an A 9740 so must be the same. Maybe it is the problem as all switches have been checked by 2 people.

IMG_7773.JPGIMG_7773.JPG
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

The webbing is black, don't think Gottlieb ever used silver. I agree, your 10,000 pt. score reel is likely to blame.

they used silver many machines ! they even used BLUE webbing

#14 10 years ago

Adjacent coils are not a reliable reference for determining what a particular coil is. Looks like the label may still be attached to the bracket of that coil, so can just look that up on the schematic (table on the left side of the schematic, which should list the 'J' coil and then the coil number).

Or, even though the wrapper is gone, the coil number should be stamped on the underside of the white plastic base (where the solder lugs are, but on the opposite side of what you show in the picture).

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well I cleaned contacts on J relay - still switches 100000 points light on at 90000 points

Ok

Ok great,you can follow on the J (100k) relay that @ the 9th position - ten thousands unit which when it contacts completes the path to the J - relay it pulls in moving the m&b and the other 2 contacts to close.

Looking on the schematic you can see how when activated the J relay m&b circuit(in hold) ,is it possible you have the point score adjustments swapped? Meter set at continuity and see what you find.

The J relay is indeed an A-9740.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

they used silver many machines ! they even used BLUE webbing

ok,
Should have said, I have never seen other colors. Were they early cabinets? I have mostly worked on 60's/70's games.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Ok

Ok great,you can follow on the J (100k) relay that @ the 9th position - ten thousands unit which when it contacts completes the path to the J - relay it pulls in moving the m&b and the other 2 contacts to close.
Looking on the schematic you can see how when activated the J relay m&b circuit(in hold) ,is it possible you have the point score adjustments swapped? Meter set at continuity and see what you find.
The J relay is indeed an A-9740.

Thanks guys - will get new coil and then test and see what happens - will report back in about 3 weeks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-high-hand-captain-card-webbing-color and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.