• Latest reply 8 years ago by dasvis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HHschbonus-450.jpg
#1 10 years ago

High Hand has four banks of drop targets containing 4 targets each. Each target individually scores 100 points but when a bank is achieved the individual target value is increased to 1000 points for bonus value.
Bonus value is achieved by a centre kicker hole or alternatively (activated by pop bumper) either of two outside rollover lanes.
On my High Hand the centre kicker hole scores perfectly but I get mixed/varied results for the outside rollover lanes. I have related the schematic to all relevant switches/relays and the bonus score unit and cleaned/adjusted as necessary.
Has anyone with a High Hand experienced outlane bonus value issues pls?

#2 10 years ago

I shot of that part of the schematic (outlane switches and center kick out hole switch) might help us here.

As I remember it, they are one in the same. The "When lit" part is always lit except when the score motor is turning. I don't remember the outlanes being an alterator function? In fact, as I remember it, the center hole even kicks at the end of the collect cycle even if there is no ball in it.

Once the Bonus "Scan" has begun, I don't see how the outlanes could differ from the center kick out hole unless it is related to the ball keeping the switch closed (thereby insuring that a relay doesn't not drop out permaturely). If it is similar to other Gottlieb bonus scan designs, there is often a CAM switch on the bonus stepper unit. This switch keeps the cycle running until it gets to its zero position. Depending on the number of bonus to score determines how many cam valleys there are on the backlite cam. I think 15 and 16 target games only have 2 valleys. So the switch should normally be closed (and stay closed) through all 16 steps of the bonus unit. Watch it for arcing. That is a sure sign of a switch that is only partially making good contact.

#3 10 years ago

I have a High Hand machine and the outside lanes score 100 points for each target or 1000 points for each target if the whole bank is dropped. Once all 16 targets are down the specials light and alternate between the outlanes and the kickout hole.
Are you getting 1000 points for dropped targets only some of the time? If so, open the machine and see if the dropped targets are all the way down when hit. See if the springs are pulling them all the way down when they are hit softly. Sometimes they go down but the springs are week or the switches are misadjusted causing to much friction for them to go all the way down freely. Push on the bottom of each target a little and see if it returns too the fully down position or is it getting hung up on the switches or just feels mushy.

Post edited by PinballTom113: spelling error

#4 10 years ago

Thks for the terrific support Cactus Jack & PinballTom113. A schematic shot follows:

HHschbonus-450.jpgHHschbonus-450.jpg

I probably confused the issue by referring to the specials alternating appropriately between the hole & the x2 outside rollover lanes.

The issue for me is the hole is scoring correctly based on the score logic. But the outside rollover lanes are scoring haphazardly or not at all. This seems strange because it seems to me the hole and the outside lanes are linked in parallel for scoring.

#5 10 years ago

Did you check /clean/ adjust the actual switches?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Did you check /clean/ adjust the actual switches?

Absolutely & multiple times.

#7 10 years ago

Check/clean bonus unit? Not an expert, just trying to keep it simple for now.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Thks for the terrific support Cactus Jack & PinballTom113. A schematic shot follows:

I probably confused the issue by referring to the specials alternating appropriately between the hole & the x2 outside rollover lanes.
The issue for me is the hole is scoring correctly based on the score logic. But the outside rollover lanes are scoring haphazardly or not at all. This seems strange because it seems to me the hole and the outside lanes are linked in parallel for scoring.

I'm not seeing the rollover switches on that part of the schematic?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I'm not seeing the rollover switches on that part of the schematic?

Outside rollover sws are mid schem about 1/3 down DF

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Outside rollover sws are mid schem about 1/3 down DF

Ah, is that what that tiny text says there?

Yep, they sure do look wired in parallel (along with the hole switch).

So you're saying that a direct close of either of those two switches sometimes results in no scoring at all? And clearly you've checked the switches themselves, so the next thing to maybe consider would be the wiring. The wire from both of those switches may converge on the underside of the playfield, so share a common solder spot (wires twisted together). Or, they may run to a jones plug to get from the playfield to the relay?

Try a jump wire from one of the rollover switch to points along that path (up to and including the relay), and see where the intermittent disappears, then isolate from there.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Ah, is that what that tiny text says there?
Yep, they sure do look wired in parallel (along with the hole switch).
So you're saying that a direct close of either of those two switches sometimes results in no scoring at all?

Sometimes no scoring or abnormal scoring, even scoring when no drop targets are down. It is completely intermittent. But what I cannot reconcile is the scoring seems to be 1 in 5 pulses if that is the correct terminology based on the valleys within the bonus score unit but only for the outside rollover lanes not the hole and that is what I find confusing. I will try your good jumper suggestion.

#12 10 years ago

Okay, so question: What happens if you just tap the center hole switch but don't actually let a ball sit in it? Does it malfunction like the side lanes or does it still score perfectly?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Okay, so question: What happens if you just tap the center hole switch but don't actually let a ball sit in it? Does it malfunction like the side lanes or does it still score perfectly?

Ah interesting Cactus Jack. It replicates what the outlanes are doing. It is only when the ball sits that it appears to function properly. To also mention that the scores seem to only occur on every 5th pulse of the bonus score unit. It is almost as though the bsu is not 'running on".

#14 10 years ago

Issue now resolved. The normally closed side of the make brake switch on the S relay which controls the bonus score unit was not normally closed!! Thks all for your help.

#15 10 years ago

Glad you got your issue resolved! I think High Hand is one of the best EM's I've played. Can you tell me if the Pop Bumber on your machine is lit all the time? Seems like mine is on all the time.
Enjoy your High Hand machine, I have mine set at a very steep angle for very fast play. I love mine!

Thanks,
PinballTom113

Post edited by PinballTom113: grammer

#16 10 years ago

The pop bumper will be lit all the time the score motor isn't running (the "when lit" aspect is there to reflect that pop bumper hits won't score when the score motor is busy reacting to other events).

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballTom113:

Glad you got your issue resolved! I think High Hand is one of the best EM's I've played. Can you tell me if the Pop Bumber on your machine is lit all the time? Seems like mine is on all the time.
Enjoy your High Hand machine, I have mine set at a very steep angle for very fast play. I love mine!
Thanks,
PinballTom113
Post edited by PinballTom113: grammer

Yes my pop bumper is as Dirt Flipper has set out.
I agree with you High Hand is a great machine-I keep on coming back to it. In my case it may because it was such a troublesome machine to bring back to playability following various hacking by previous owner and it is so good to have it working 100%. Now to the cab restoration as the previous owner really botched that as well. It can of course be very frustrating through the centre drain with 0 scores reasonably common. Now my Pro Football allows a same ball again on a no score!!

#18 10 years ago

Thank you DirtFlipper and Wayner, I know what you mean about the center drain. Mine also tands to drain down the sides more tham it should too. I may bend the rails outwards a bit to see if that makes a difference.

#19 10 years ago

I find that with the setting on liberal side drains are not a big problem and even less now my bonus actually works on the outlanes!!

#20 10 years ago

I gotta get back to work on my High hand!
Cab is stripped, waiting for some warmer weather to paint in. Need to order the stencils.....

1 year later
#21 8 years ago

Finally got my warm weather & time to paint. Cab & head done, used 2-pack auto clear on very worn playfield. Got it all back together & am working out a few bugs. Almost there! I was wondering about that pop bumper light...

pics to follow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-high-hand-bonus-logic-re-outside-rollover-lanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.