Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by abcsindy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm very near the end of a complete Gottlieb Haunted House restoration and I've run into an issue I can't resolve. Everything works - displays, sound, scoring...except solenoids. Basically no flippers, no slingshots - nothing solenoid controlled. I've traced it to the game over relay not engaging when a game is started, and if I hold in the relay manually all solenoids (pop bumpers/slingshots) work.

If I ground the Q1 transistor, the relay engages as it should. I originally thought the transistor was bad (tests good) or the driver board had an issue, so I swapped my Black Hole driver board but got the same result. I then swapped the BH MPU along with the driver board (changed the game ROM), but got the same result again. Self-test will activate the U relay but not the Tilt or Game Over relays. I can't figure out why the game over relay isn't latching when a game is started.

FYI - all ground mods completed.

TIA for any help.

#2 1 year ago

Maybe you could also try to swap the cable between MPU and driver board with the one from your Black Hole?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from abcsindy:

I'm very near the end of a complete Gottlieb Haunted House restoration and I've run into an issue I can't resolve. Everything works - displays, sound, scoring...except solenoids. Basically no flippers, no slingshots - nothing solenoid controlled. I've traced it to the game over relay not engaging when a game is started, and if I hold in the relay manually all solenoids (pop bumpers/slingshots) work.
If I ground the Q1 transistor, the relay engages as it should. I originally thought the transistor was bad (tests good) or the driver board had an issue, so I swapped my Black Hole driver board but got the same result. I then swapped the BH MPU along with the driver board (changed the game ROM), but got the same result again. Self-test will activate the U relay but not the Tilt or Game Over relays. I can't figure out why the game over relay isn't latching when a game is started.
FYI - all ground mods completed.
TIA for any help.

Ball trough switch not registering?

#4 1 year ago

Quick update on this issue:

I've tried every combination of driver board, mpu, interconnect from my working BH, but still have the same issue w/HH. Ball trough switch is registering. At this point, since all grounds appear good, I probably need to break out the logic probe to make sure the transistor is being fired on the driver board. I'll update when I have more info.

#5 1 year ago

Problem Solved:

After taking every avenue to figure out the issue with my HH, it came down to having 2 pins crossed when I repinned the A2-J3 connector that attaches to the driver board.

Thanks to those that offered suggestions and hope this helps someone in the future.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside