Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by abcsindy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm very near the end of a complete Gottlieb Haunted House restoration and I've run into an issue I can't resolve. Everything works - displays, sound, scoring...except solenoids. Basically no flippers, no slingshots - nothing solenoid controlled. I've traced it to the game over relay not engaging when a game is started, and if I hold in the relay manually all solenoids (pop bumpers/slingshots) work.

If I ground the Q1 transistor, the relay engages as it should. I originally thought the transistor was bad (tests good) or the driver board had an issue, so I swapped my Black Hole driver board but got the same result. I then swapped the BH MPU along with the driver board (changed the game ROM), but got the same result again. Self-test will activate the U relay but not the Tilt or Game Over relays. I can't figure out why the game over relay isn't latching when a game is started.

FYI - all ground mods completed.

TIA for any help.

#2 4 years ago

Maybe you could also try to swap the cable between MPU and driver board with the one from your Black Hole?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from abcsindy:

I'm very near the end of a complete Gottlieb Haunted House restoration and I've run into an issue I can't resolve. Everything works - displays, sound, scoring...except solenoids. Basically no flippers, no slingshots - nothing solenoid controlled. I've traced it to the game over relay not engaging when a game is started, and if I hold in the relay manually all solenoids (pop bumpers/slingshots) work.
If I ground the Q1 transistor, the relay engages as it should. I originally thought the transistor was bad (tests good) or the driver board had an issue, so I swapped my Black Hole driver board but got the same result. I then swapped the BH MPU along with the driver board (changed the game ROM), but got the same result again. Self-test will activate the U relay but not the Tilt or Game Over relays. I can't figure out why the game over relay isn't latching when a game is started.
FYI - all ground mods completed.
TIA for any help.

Ball trough switch not registering?

#4 4 years ago

Quick update on this issue:

I've tried every combination of driver board, mpu, interconnect from my working BH, but still have the same issue w/HH. Ball trough switch is registering. At this point, since all grounds appear good, I probably need to break out the logic probe to make sure the transistor is being fired on the driver board. I'll update when I have more info.

#5 4 years ago

Problem Solved:

After taking every avenue to figure out the issue with my HH, it came down to having 2 pins crossed when I repinned the A2-J3 connector that attaches to the driver board.

Thanks to those that offered suggestions and hope this helps someone in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-haunted-house-game-over-relay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.