You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1FB00D18-AC5E-4D78-B1DB-FFBE8602EEB6 (resized).jpeg
35A7D0DC-BCDA-437B-B79D-D743EF92B30D (resized).jpeg
9FD666AC-3A4B-40A9-A127-131700C1FDF8 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I’m working on a 1953 Gottlieb Guys Dolls pinball machine and I took the coil stop off of the moving post style of flippers and it looked like part of coil stop was broken. It has a copper ring going around the stop and though the center. It looked like one section broke off. I did not find the piece in the coil sleeve but I thought maybe it broke years ago and was removed. The nut on the stop was peened over and wasn’t meant to come off. Needless to say I twisted the nut off and bought a similar stop from Pinball Resource. The dimensions were identical but the stops insides are different. Steve told me that the piece wasn’t broken and that it was made that way. I of course felt stupid and asked if the other stop would work. He wasn’t sure.

So my questions are was this stop broken or is it suppose to only have the copper on only one side?

Will the new stop work? It’s the same dimensions.

Does a stop, just stop the plunger or does the stop have another use too? Anything to do with an electrical field? Wondering because of the different designsof copper. Probably copper is a better cushion than steel.

Thanks,
Larry.

9FD666AC-3A4B-40A9-A127-131700C1FDF8 (resized).jpeg9FD666AC-3A4B-40A9-A127-131700C1FDF8 (resized).jpeg35A7D0DC-BCDA-437B-B79D-D743EF92B30D (resized).jpeg35A7D0DC-BCDA-437B-B79D-D743EF92B30D (resized).jpeg1FB00D18-AC5E-4D78-B1DB-FFBE8602EEB6 (resized).jpeg1FB00D18-AC5E-4D78-B1DB-FFBE8602EEB6 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

The copper provides magnetic isolation - if the coil stop was 100% ferrous metal (all steel for example) it could become magnetised over time and the plunger would stick to it even when power is removed from the coil.

#3 2 years ago

The original one looks normal; not broken. I think you'll be OK with the replacement though. Good luck getting all that stuff lined up and sliding freely. I had one of these once, and it was a pain getting it all back together.
Unusual game, but fun if it's shopped properly.

#4 2 years ago

The copper ring is called a shading ring and helps keep the plunger from buzzing. The original coil stop has a D shaped shading ring while modern coil stops have an O shaped ring. Either should work as long as the ring is not broken. There are more details in other topics including:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-coil-stop-replacement-for-williams-a-7414#post-6223553
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-explain-coil-stops-are-engineered-the-way-they-are

You'll sometimes see D shaped shading rings on relay coils too if I recall correctly.

/Mark

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-guys-dolls-coil-stop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.