Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_1403 (resized).JPG
IMG_1410 (resized).JPG
IMG_1409 (resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

I recently picked up a gridiron and previous owner had some amateur wiring rigged up on ball shooter. If anyone has a working example that can take a pic of shooter from top of play field with apron off and then one from the bottom of play field showing the wiring I would appreciate it. Thanks.

IMG_1409 (resized).JPGIMG_1409 (resized).JPG

IMG_1410 (resized).JPGIMG_1410 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Is there something wrong with it or do you just feel it is incorrect?

Looks good to me as long as you have ground and one or two 30v wires going to the kicker coil, which it's hard to tell, but it seems you do. If so, your wiring looks fine. That switch is there to detect when the ball is in the outhole. Looks a lot cleaner than a lot of things I have seen.

I would leave it be and if you're experiencing a problem, it's likely not there. All the wiring is original besides those extension wires which were replaced or the original wires were cut way too short. I don't think it looks very amateur, not original yes, but I mean there's not many better solution for what they were trying to do besides shrink tubing and soldering the extension wires to the old wires - those metal "bridges" almost look original but that is unlikely.

Looks to me like a "fix" and not a hack. Not many ways to make it better. If it's working, leave it be and enjoy the game IMO. If not, it doesn't appear to be a problem so I would bet it lies elsewhere.

#3 7 years ago

I'm wrong it's not lighting.

The only thing that is confusing to me is the wiring coming from the switch that detects the ball. Both wires are tying into playfield lighting wires. They are the orange/white/black wires.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from FreshGresh:

The only thing that is confusing to me is the wiring coming from the switch that detects the ball. Both wires are tying into playfield lighting wires. They are the orange/white/black wires.

I would assume it completes the path to the "Press Right Flipper To Shoot Ball" light under the apron. The wiring colors even match and on top of that are even bundled together. Perhaps you're missing a switch that ties into the 30v side of things to tell the machine the ball has drained/is in the outhole?

#5 7 years ago

Hmm, okay, with the edited post... moving on.

Does it work? You never clarified this, I'm assuming not? Or are you just concerned?

I could have sworn that after you said that and looking at it again that it does control the apron light and that a separate switch would control the solenoid side of things. The best bet now is probably to wait for a Pinside to verify if this isn't the case and the light is always on regardless if the ball is in the outhole or not.

#6 7 years ago

This is what was done to it when I got it. The previous owner had a black wire tied into the two 30v wires and a white tied to the ball shooter coil. These two were tied to a toggle button that the previous owner installed in the coin doors key hole. I removed and did a temp connection of correct wires to the shooter coil and turned machine on and coil just kept coming on and off.

IMG_1403 (resized).JPGIMG_1403 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

Looks like he did a barbaric attempt to fix that issue you had when you hooked it back up. Good that you got rid of that mess.

That sounds to be like a stuck outhole switch, and possibly stuck right flipper switch, which is used to kick the ball out but only when detected in the outhole - so the outhole switch or relay would need to be stuck to make the flipper switch even relevant to the problem.

Can you locate your outhole relay and post a picture of it?

Turn the machine off/unplug it and press on the plastic plate on this relay by hand (actuating it by hand). Do any of the switches touch both when actuated and not actuated, or do any of the switches not touch during when actuated and not actuated? (No change between pushing and not pushing is what we're looking for, regardless if both are closed or not closed)

#8 7 years ago

Found a solder that came loose on wiring on the Hole Relay when I took it out to inspect. Think that's it. Wiring color scheme as the switch on ball shooter switch.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I just picked machine up last weekend for a $100 and got a lot of contacts to clean. Scoring motor keeps spinning and game is not resetting and there are a lot of dirty contacts and a few that need adjusting. This was just stumping me. Thanks for the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gridiron-ball-shooter-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.