Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by HowardR
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mavantix.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on a Grand Slam trying to revive it from the dead. Never worked on an EM, but electronics don't scare me... I've got it mostly working, but I'm having difficulty understanding the correct start up sequence from the manual/schematics. In what sequence should the roto target find home / score reels reset / ball eject into shooter lane?

When I push the button to begin a game, the score reels do not reset to zero and the roto target doesn't stop spinning. It is missing springs, which may mean it's not landing in the right place to make contact, but I've tried manually moving/holding it to a centered position and it still never seems to continue the game start up. If I manually move the ball into the lane, it will play and score, albeit with the reels never going back to zero. I feel like I'm close to getting it working, but I'm not sure where I should be looking at to finalize the proper start up. Any guidance much appreciated!

#3 7 years ago

It doesn't seem like any of the score reels even try to reset to zero, would that be a relay that triggers them?

#6 7 years ago

The roto is pulsing the coil to rotate it, but because of the missing springs, it spins and doesn't stop at an exact point like it probably should, or at lease that's what it appears to be doing.

I'll have to look at the S relay and see if I can see a switch not making contact that should be triggering the reels to reset...

#9 7 years ago

If I manually move the player unit while the game is off, it resets to a certain position when I turn the game on. Nothing happens until I put a ball in the drain and start the game with the front button. The it tries to spin both the player unit and the roto target constantly. The roto target is having trouble moving properly (missing spring issue), but the player unit does continue to spin at that point and not stop too. Thoughts? Appreciate the help!!

6 months later
#10 6 years ago

Worked on this more today and figured out what seems to be causing the score reals not to reset. The V and VB coils don't ever seem to actuate by themselves. If I manually actuate V, it locks in, and the score reals reset to zero (though I have to assist one, it's gummed up). The Z coil, which drives the score reel reset stays locked on and VB never fires to release the V coil lock in. If I manually actuate VB, then the motor stops running and a game can start. Any thoughts on checking V and VB's function? Manual says the S coil should lock in V, and S coil's switches seem to be making contact. Multimeter time?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Navarre, FL
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Tom's Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mavantix.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-grand-slam-start-up-sequence-roto-just-spins?tu=mavantix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.