You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8814 (resized).JPG
IMG_8809 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

hi i just bought a grand slam.cool game but it has a problem i cant figure out.it starts,it plays a game and finishes.the scores dont reset unless i manually push the V contacts and then they reset.i have tried as hard as i can following the diagram ,cleaning contacts etc,but totally confused.weirdly enough,on the diagram the game counter is just before the v coil and it counts fine with every game.i have tried a jumper from the counter to the v relay,no change.i have jumpered the coil to the vr coil and the v coil working fine.anyone got any ideas please? thanks in advance

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from sparkaruss:

i have tried a jumper from the counter to the v relay,no change.i have jumpered the coil to the vr coil and the v coil working fine.

First, verify that the V relay is getting power. Since the replay meter is working, you can use that. If you have a meter, measure the resistance between the black terminal on the V relay, and the black terminal on the play meter. Then measure the resistance between the blue-yellow terminals on the V relay and play meter. In both cases you should get something close to zero, or about the same reading you get when you short the two meter probes together.

If the meter says the black terminals are shorted together and the blue-yellow terminals are shorted together (as they should be), then it's possible that the V relay is either mechanically or magnetically wedged/stuck. In other words, it's getting power, but it's not able to trip the latching mechanism. If you touch the V relay while you start a game you might feel it vibrate briefly as it gets energized. Sometimes they'll work fine in one orientation, like when you have it off the rail to examine it, but won't work when you put it back on the rail.

If you're lucky, the V/VR relay latching relay combo just needs a good cleaning. Clean the area where the two interlocking armatures touch with something small like a cotton swab. Be careful because it's easier to make things worse than to get it just right.

It's also possible that someone stretched the spring on the V relay by removing a loop or two, making it harder for the relay to trip the latch.

If you're not so lucky, one of the relay armatures may be magnetized which could also prevent the latch from working correctly. But eliminate the other possibilities before worrying about this.

Pay attention as you work on the V/VR latching relay because Grand Slam has another 3 that might need the same attention.

/Mark

#3 7 years ago

Here's a snip from the manual V activated thru motor 2c and 1a

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

thanks markg .iwill measure the resistances ,but as i said,i ran a jumper from vr to v and v works fine when vr energises.i,had thought about the spring and slackened it off a little but didnt change.

thanks pinhead52 .thats just what i needed,gives me good direction

#5 7 years ago

ok i checked the contacts on the score motor,tested fine. i swapped coils on v just incase ,still the same.30v on the game counter .i unsoldered a wire on the score motor .if i turn it by hand ,v will pull in,quite decisively . i cleaned and adjusted 1A contacts again on the score motor.put the cable back on the motor,no v again.it dosent look like the game has been stuffed with,same owner for 32 years.

#6 7 years ago

if you are ever looking to sell and the game is clean let me know, can organise transport from gold coast to the illawarra.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from sparkaruss:

if i turn it by hand ,v will pull in,quite decisively . i cleaned and adjusted 1A contacts again on the score motor.put the cable back on the motor,no v again.

So the V relay works intermittently. It works when you turn the score motor by hand (more slowly maybe?) but not when the score motor runs on its own. It still could be that the armatures are binding due to dirt, wear or being magnetized. Have you tried cleaning the armature faces and edges that rub against each other?

#8 7 years ago

contacts motor 2c and 1a, I bet one of these contacts is a little flakly, check the 2c and see if there is any scorching around the pad... If there is take a pair of needle nose pliers and mash the contact on the finger.

#9 7 years ago

SOLVED!!!! thanks gentlemen .turned out to be to bigger gap between coil and plate. i presume in that very quick switch contact there wasnt enough current to pull it in.i adjusted the metal bit that stops that plate from falling out inwards about 1mm ,works perfect now. you were on the right trail mark thankyou,and the score motor contacts are very shiney ,thanks pinhead52.

2 weeks later
#10 6 years ago

Hi Russ! Glad to hear you got the old girl running. It's true, my dad owned that machine for 32 years. We were sad to see it go. After being pinballess for a few days. We ended up buying a 1993 Rocky and Bullwinkle from a QLD collector.

IMG_8809 (resized).JPGIMG_8809 (resized).JPG
IMG_8814 (resized).JPGIMG_8814 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-grand-slam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.