6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pin-up
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've got a Gottlieb Gold Wings that is almost finished up. I did the ground modification in the bottom cabinet to get rid of the 4 connectors and their little boards. All of the socketed chips on the MPU and sound board have been removed to clean the legs and re-install, and all of the connector pins on the power supply board were re-flowed. The card edges on the mpu, driver board, and sound board were also cleaned.

Now I'm down to this: game powers up every in to attract mode as it should. I can step through test mode/diagnostics and test everything on the play field. Sound board gives one sound from each of the buttons (one is a reset and one is a test button from what I understand). However, at power up there are 2 of the bright flashers that are locked on. I haven't done anything with gottlieb system 80s. Is this possibly just a transistor on the driver board and I need to hunt down the schematics to see which one corresponds?

I can also credit up the game and the sound plays for the credit up, but you cannot start a game. Pressing the start button does nothing. I've cleaned and adjusted the 2 ball trough switches in case it was something simple like the game thinking one of the 2 balls was "missing", but that didn't help anything.

Any suggestions?

There is also one sound on the sound board that does not work. I verified the sound board in another game. The sound that is made when you hit stand up targets 3-8 is super super faint and quiet. You really have to listen to hear it. All other sounds were working properly.

#4 6 years ago

Got a manual now. Going to look into the transistor for the brights stuck on. I'm guessing these are run in pairs like other williams/bally games.

I've gone into the switch test in the diagnostics and the start button does not register. The player initial entering buttons do as do the coin switches. I haven't run through all of the switches though and that is on the list to do.

I do not have an eprom burner. I have pulled all of the socketed chips on the mpu and sound board though and cleaned the legs and re installed, which, along with the ground mod in the bottom of the cabinet, have made the game stable and boot every time now. I did also adjust the power supply pot as well, just slightly.

I may have some LM324s on hand, have to check though.

#5 6 years ago

I've completed the ground mods on the Gold Wings in the back box now (the bottom of cabinet ground connectors were done previously), with the exception of adding the extra +5 and ground wire between the mpu and driver board, just waiting on some connector pins to finish that up.

Game powers up into attract mode, you can add credits with the coin door switch, but start button does nothing. Pressing the test button inside cabinet brings you into test mode. Coils work in test mode, however there are no play field switches that register. It seems the only 2 switches that register in the game are the coin door switches and the player initial entering switches. Hmmm.....

I'll swap the sound roms with my other gold wings and see if all of the sounds work on the other board so I can narrow it down to the roms or the board.

I haven't looked into the 2 locked on bright lights issue yet.

#7 6 years ago

I double checked connector A1J6 and A1J5. All pins are good and clean as well as the card edge.

In looking at the schematics I noticed that U4 on the mpu controls the switches on the playfield. On the mpu in this game, it happens that someone put a socket in that location with a new chip (6532-1). I had pulled the socket and cleaned off the legs, but there must have been a little bit of debris in the way inside the socket itself. I re-seated it to see if that would make any change and bingo! We have all switches working in the game now. Now that it's up and running I'll get into the 2 bring lamps being locked on and the one super faint sound.

I quickly went through the rest of the lights and there are 3 controlled lights that are out. I'll get the alligator clips out and bypass the socket to see if it's the socket or not and go from there.

Hopefully I can get the rest of it wrapped up pretty quickly here.

I've also ordered 2 of the sirens that go in the bottom cabinet from PBR. Both of the games happen to be missing them. Probably because they are so loud.

#8 6 years ago

The pair of sirens arrived today and I've got them installed. Awesome. Had to play a few games with the new toy in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gold-wings-system-80b-couple-of-issues?tu=Pin-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.