(Topic ID: 189374)

Gottlieb Gold Wings siren wiring, is it in the manual?

By Jive

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jive
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20160829-183601 (1) (resized).png
20170521_224545 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Trying to troubleshoot a siren problem on my Gold Wings. Can anyone tell me if the wiring diagram for this is in the manual? I had a Bone Busters, and the skull topper wiring was not mentioned anywhere in the manual, so I am wanting to see about Gold Wings before I order one.

#3 6 years ago

Can you tell me if thee is a dip switch setting that turns it off/on? I've traced the wiring back, and everything looks fine.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

No dipswitch setting.
A relay driven by the lampdriver (L2).
The "B" relay switches the siren.
On page 44 and 45 of the manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9nnnpgmqpoc73v/Gottlieb%20GoldWings%20manual.pdf?dl=0
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Much thanks!

#6 6 years ago

Ok, so I have checked everything I know to check here, and the siren still doesn't fire. I checked the relay coil with a meter, and it tests fine. I also clipped the diode and checked it, again, it is fine. I tested continuity of the wiring from the coil to the A3J5 plug on the driver board, no problems. Driver board is a new Rottendog board, so I am assuming the related transistor is ok. The A3J5 connector pins look ok, but I guess that is always a possibility. The one thing I haven't done is the ground mods, but they are on my list. Everything works fine on this machine except the siren, and I believe, the knocker. Again, the siren works if I manually activate the relay.

Perhaps the ground mods will fix it, but is there anything else I am missing?

#8 6 years ago

Good question on the Rottendog board. I know it is supposed to be a direct replacement for system 80/80a/80b boards, and they do list Gold Wings as a compatible game.

I guess I will check to see if that relay coil is getting voltage. It does have the white molex connectors on the side of the transformer panel. I pulled those off, and did not see any cracked solder joints, but I will remove those and out ring terminals on them.

I have read there is a way to fire a coil by shorting a pin to ground....need to read up on that more, but I wonder if you could do that with a relay coil?

#9 6 years ago

Just did the ground mod at the transformer, and wouldn't ya know it, I have a working siren! Boy is it loud!

Thanks for everything Inkochnito!

20170521_224545 (resized).jpg20170521_224545 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

You know the funny thing is, I pulled those ground boards off last week, and looked for cracked solder. Everything looked good, and I even sanded the side of the transformer panel. My guess is it was something in the molex pins, who knows.

I know all about the ground issues, as this is my 4th System 80 pin. I did all the ground mods on the others, and had zero issues with them. Actually, I have had less trouble with them than any Williams/Bally pin that I have owned.

Screenshot_20160829-183601 (1) (resized).pngScreenshot_20160829-183601 (1) (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gold-wings-siren-wiring-is-it-in-the-manual?tu=Jive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.