Gottlieb Gold Wings siren wiring, is it in the manual?

By Jive

5 months ago

Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Jive
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20160829-183601 (1) (resized).png
20170521_224545 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

Trying to troubleshoot a siren problem on my Gold Wings. Can anyone tell me if the wiring diagram for this is in the manual? I had a Bone Busters, and the skull topper wiring was not mentioned anywhere in the manual, so I am wanting to see about Gold Wings before I order one.

#2 5 months ago

Yes it's in the manual

#3 5 months ago

Can you tell me if thee is a dip switch setting that turns it off/on? I've traced the wiring back, and everything looks fine.

#4 5 months ago

No dipswitch setting.

A relay driven by the lampdriver (L2).
The "B" relay switches the siren.

On page 44 and 45 of the manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9nnnpgmqpoc73v/Gottlieb%20GoldWings%20manual.pdf?dl=0

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#5 5 months ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

No dipswitch setting.
A relay driven by the lampdriver (L2).
The "B" relay switches the siren.
On page 44 and 45 of the manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9nnnpgmqpoc73v/Gottlieb%20GoldWings%20manual.pdf?dl=0
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Much thanks!

#6 5 months ago

Ok, so I have checked everything I know to check here, and the siren still doesn't fire. I checked the relay coil with a meter, and it tests fine. I also clipped the diode and checked it, again, it is fine. I tested continuity of the wiring from the coil to the A3J5 plug on the driver board, no problems. Driver board is a new Rottendog board, so I am assuming the related transistor is ok. The A3J5 connector pins look ok, but I guess that is always a possibility. The one thing I haven't done is the ground mods, but they are on my list. Everything works fine on this machine except the siren, and I believe, the knocker. Again, the siren works if I manually activate the relay.

Perhaps the ground mods will fix it, but is there anything else I am missing?

#7 5 months ago

Yes, first do the ground mods.
I believe this game has the white 9-pin connector boards at the side of the transformer mounting plate.
These are known to go bad.
Do these first.

Is this Rottendog board exactly the same as the original?

#8 5 months ago

Good question on the Rottendog board. I know it is supposed to be a direct replacement for system 80/80a/80b boards, and they do list Gold Wings as a compatible game.

I guess I will check to see if that relay coil is getting voltage. It does have the white molex connectors on the side of the transformer panel. I pulled those off, and did not see any cracked solder joints, but I will remove those and out ring terminals on them.

I have read there is a way to fire a coil by shorting a pin to ground....need to read up on that more, but I wonder if you could do that with a relay coil?

#9 5 months ago

Just did the ground mod at the transformer, and wouldn't ya know it, I have a working siren! Boy is it loud!

Thanks for everything Inkochnito!

20170521_224545 (resized).jpg

#10 5 months ago

If you look very closely you will see cracked solder joints on those little boards.
A lot of things have their own ground wire.
That is the reason why these kind of things happen.
Those small boards all have to be removed.

On the driver board are various ground lines which can/need to be connected to avoid these kind of failures.
These are optional ground upgrades.
It was on the old website from Clay.

#11 4 months ago

You know the funny thing is, I pulled those ground boards off last week, and looked for cracked solder. Everything looked good, and I even sanded the side of the transformer panel. My guess is it was something in the molex pins, who knows.

I know all about the ground issues, as this is my 4th System 80 pin. I did all the ground mods on the others, and had zero issues with them. Actually, I have had less trouble with them than any Williams/Bally pin that I have owned.

Screenshot_20160829-183601 (1) (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 14.95
$ 14.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.