Gottlieb Gold Wings siren wiring, is it in the manual?

No one calls this topic a favorite.

By Jive

3 days ago

Stats

• Started 3 days ago
  • 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by Jive

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

20170521_224545 (resized).jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 3 days ago

Trying to troubleshoot a siren problem on my Gold Wings. Can anyone tell me if the wiring diagram for this is in the manual? I had a Bone Busters, and the skull topper wiring was not mentioned anywhere in the manual, so I am wanting to see about Gold Wings before I order one.

#2 3 days ago

Yes it's in the manual

#3 3 days ago

Can you tell me if thee is a dip switch setting that turns it off/on? I've traced the wiring back, and everything looks fine.

#4 2 days ago

No dipswitch setting.

A relay driven by the lampdriver (L2).
The "B" relay switches the siren.

On page 44 and 45 of the manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9nnnpgmqpoc73v/Gottlieb%20GoldWings%20manual.pdf?dl=0

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#5 2 days ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

No dipswitch setting.
A relay driven by the lampdriver (L2).
The "B" relay switches the siren.
On page 44 and 45 of the manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9nnnpgmqpoc73v/Gottlieb%20GoldWings%20manual.pdf?dl=0
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Much thanks!

#6 1 day ago

Ok, so I have checked everything I know to check here, and the siren still doesn't fire. I checked the relay coil with a meter, and it tests fine. I also clipped the diode and checked it, again, it is fine. I tested continuity of the wiring from the coil to the A3J5 plug on the driver board, no problems. Driver board is a new Rottendog board, so I am assuming the related transistor is ok. The A3J5 connector pins look ok, but I guess that is always a possibility. The one thing I haven't done is the ground mods, but they are on my list. Everything works fine on this machine except the siren, and I believe, the knocker. Again, the siren works if I manually activate the relay.

Perhaps the ground mods will fix it, but is there anything else I am missing?

#7 20 hours ago

Yes, first do the ground mods.
I believe this game has the white 9-pin connector boards at the side of the transformer mounting plate.
These are known to go bad.
Do these first.

Is this Rottendog board exactly the same as the original?

#8 15 hours ago

Good question on the Rottendog board. I know it is supposed to be a direct replacement for system 80/80a/80b boards, and they do list Gold Wings as a compatible game.

I guess I will check to see if that relay coil is getting voltage. It does have the white molex connectors on the side of the transformer panel. I pulled those off, and did not see any cracked solder joints, but I will remove those and out ring terminals on them.

I have read there is a way to fire a coil by shorting a pin to ground....need to read up on that more, but I wonder if you could do that with a relay coil?

#9 14 hours ago

Just did the ground mod at the transformer, and wouldn't ya know it, I have a working siren! Boy is it loud!

Thanks for everything Inkochnito!

20170521_224545 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
$ 24.00
Apparel - Unisex
Double Danger Pinball
$ 15.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 160.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 14.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Apparel - Unisex
Double Danger Pinball
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.