Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220417_160241 (resized).jpg
20220417_160021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tfduda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from rocksolid87:

My teenage nephew was recently given a Gottlieb Globe Trotter machine.

Congratulations to you and your nephew! Globe Trotter is a fun one.

Quoted from rocksolid87:

I'm new to working on pinball machines and was hoping to get some advise/wisdom from those who know how.

You can get lots of info and advice here, but the following is a must read before you and your nephew start working on machine: Clay's Repairing Electro-Mechanical (EM) Pinball & Coin Operated Games to 1978 (http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm).

Other advice: Take lots of photos when you dismantle things. Work on one issue/problem at a time. Be careful with 120V circuits (there are wires associated with one that go to the coin door!). Learn how to read pinball schematics, solder well, and adjust switch blades correctly.

Quoted from rocksolid87:

are there any other parts that should be replaced due to age?

It looks like you are already getting rubber rings, balls, new plastics, and a new power cord. These may be all that need to be replaced. You will learn more after you go through it as recommended in Clay's guide at the link above. Rarely coils are burned up and no longer working, but these will be obviously burnt and most coils are probably fine. Unless something is missing, chances are good that all will (eventually) work as it should.

If the machine didn't come with one, buy a schematic from Pinball Resource. This will help immensely when you need to troubleshoot problems (and there will be problems).

Quoted from rocksolid87:

Should we clean all of the contacts for various switches and components (I use DeoxIt)? Should anything be lubricated?

Short answer is no. Read Clay's guide at the link above as it includes sections on lubrication and contact cleaner (http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#lube) with very strongly recommended advice about these: "WARNING: DO NOT USE CONTACT CLEANER OR WD-40 IN EM GAMES!" and "Electro-Mechanical machines, for the most part, do not use any lubrication."

Quoted from rocksolid87:

How about the coin mech? He has the door (not pictured), but the coin mech is missing. I assume this can be wired for playing without the mech?

Coin mechs are hard to find, but you can easily modify the machine to work on free play (it is a simple matter of bending a switch blade on a switch stack on the replay stepper so that the switch stays closed and the machine "thinks" there are replays available)--info on how to do this should be in Clay's guide listed above or you can figure it out on your own by reading the schematic.

#11 2 years ago

I assume that you and your nephew will want to plug in the machine again as soon as you can to see if/how the machine works. Before doing this, install a new electrical cord and check to make sure that correct fuses are installed (and not bypassed). Also, determine if the stepper units (should be one for replays, 100k scores, 10k scores, and points in the backbox) are stepping up/down easily. Often times these were lubricated and then the grease eventually solidifies and gums up the various moving parts of steppers and so they may need cleaning to get them moving right. Clay's guide has info on disassembly and cleaning of steppers (http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps).

And then when you do power it on, the reset routine involves resetting of the various score and points stepper units with the motor running for a short bit. If the motor doesn't stop, something during the reset routine wasn't accomplished. Clay's guide lists the steps involved in the reset routine of 1950s Gottlieb machines (http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start) and so you can attempt to figure out which step it hangs at.

If it makes it through the reset routine (i.e., the motor stops running) and you hear any loud buzzing from a coil, try to quickly determine which coil it is and then shut the machine down to avoid burning up the coil. After reset, the ball gate coil will be engaged (until points are scored) and so this coil engaging after reset is normal (and sometimes they do buzz). The lock relay coil should also be engaged upon reset (and sometimes can buzz a bit as well). But otherwise, although a few other coils will be engaging and disengaging during the reset routine, most coils (aside from the ball gate coil and hold coil) should only engage when points are scored on the playfield.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from rocksolid87:

I've printed Clay's guide

Good idea! And if you have a need for any specific detailed info about or photos of steppers or whatever of Globe Trotter, I have one that is up and running.

Have fun and good luck!

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from rocksolid87:

replacing the coil plungers with nylon tipped ones

I assume you mean the coil plungers for bells and knockers. If so, then yes, if the plungers that should have a nylon tip are missing their tips, getting replacements is a good idea to prevent damage to the bell. They should be part number "A1487+" and The Pinball Resource sells them for $3.40 (http://www.pbresource.com/bells.html).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tfduda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-globe-trotter-project-advice-wanted?tu=tfduda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.