(Topic ID: 71134)

Gottlieb Gladiators...."Beast Slayer"....who else is in the club??!!

By 82Trooper

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by ChapDDR
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

signal-2023-11-15-220511_002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220123_165937 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220124_171605 (resized).jpg
C6E0DF32-F223-431A-8679-5B32ED150285 (resized).jpeg
A1AB3278-714B-48CE-978C-5E5BF41EF975 (resized).jpeg
glad2 (resized).JPG
glad1 (resized).JPG
glad3 (resized).JPG
17901195-0C99-491D-BFF6-83B961D19710 (resized).jpeg
ramp2 (resized).PNG
ramp (resized).PNG
B091AAC4-51DF-4FB3-AADA-1F820E4BE580 (resized).jpeg
57E3EFD3-C22E-4064-83B8-BF151324B8B7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1725 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1727 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 1.23.10 PM (resized).png
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

I have had this game for about 3 years now. I know it does not get much love here, but I like it. The shaker motor is cool on this vintage System 3 game, and gives me very few reliability issues.

Anyhow, I have only made it to the final round "The Beast Challenge" once or twice, but was never able to "slay the beast!!!" until last night. It was very satisfying to get to finally put my initials on the screen as "Beast Slayer". For 3 years I have been looking at some other dudes initials on my machine, and it was a bit humiliating. Kinda like your wife having someone else’s name tattooed on her, becuase they reached a level you had not ventured into yet!!!

Now, If I could only figure out how to top JCV, the damn “combo champ”…….

19 of us show as having it in their collection....who else slayed the beast???

#2 10 years ago

never played, hope to some day. nice story.

#3 10 years ago

A fine pin. All of the sys 3's are a good value in my opinion and I often direct new people to them do to the price and robustness of them.

I had a Gladiators for a while. I could never get over the "catapult", how is a moving ramp a "catapult"?

I would buy one again if the price was right.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

who else slayed the beast???

I love this game. It is the perfect finally to a night of hard partying. The shaker makes the other machines coin doors randomly open, and loose plaster falls off the walls. Mine is set on 5 ball play, and I slay the beast regularly. Best part about Beast Challenge is the shaker is going non-stop, and the machine is knocking like crazy. It leaves me giddy.

#5 10 years ago

Yep. Gladiators is a great game. It took me a while to slay the beast. And then I was shocked to have to enter initials in mid-game. However, once I slayed the beast, I got tiered of the machine. Still, great gameplay for the money.

#6 10 years ago

Yes, entering the initials in the middle of the game was cool. Funny, this game was @ 1/2 my high score game, but I was able to get thru all the modes to start the beast round. It was actually more fun to get thru the rounds, rather than just rack up points.

#7 10 years ago

I slayed the beast Fun machine, a few good shots, decent flow, cheeseball synth music, backglass art so bad it's good.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

I have had this game for about 3 years now. I know it does not get much love here, but I like it. The shaker motor is cool on this vintage System 3 game, and gives me very few reliability issues.
Anyhow, I have only made it to the final round "The Beast Challenge" once or twice, but was never able to "slay the beast!!!" until last night. It was very satisfying to get to finally put my initials on the screen as "Beast Slayer". For 3 years I have been looking at some other dudes initials on my machine, and it was a bit humiliating. Kinda like your wife having someone else’s name tattooed on her, becuase they reached a level you had not ventured into yet!!!
Now, If I could only figure out how to top JCV, the damn “combo champ”…….
19 of us show as having it in their collection....who else slayed the beast???

I am "Beast Slayer" on one on route. I like the game. Best flow in possibly all of pinball, you can really keep it moving. My best score on it was this one where I got Beast Slayer.

Funny, now that you mention it, I don't think I was combo champ on that game either.

!!!!!beast.jpg!!!!!beast.jpg

3 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

I have a Gladiator's and yes I have slayed the beast on a couple of occasions but I have never been combo champ my high score is a few million less than the above post. just goes to show that practice on this machine helps!

#10 10 years ago

I had the game at work for a while. My pin coworker slayed the beast I think. As he was very excited about it they all miss the game :/

#11 10 years ago

I dont own the game but its highly underrated... love it, came close to slaying the beast but no go

#12 10 years ago

My friend and I constantly take over Beast slayer position on that game. However, the combo champ is a tough one, wow!!

Fun game, the shaker is awesome. I did a mod to slow mine done so it wasnt so crazy.. More a rumble now.

#13 10 years ago

How did you mod it to slow it down? I wired an inline switch, to shut it off. I only turn it on when I am in the mood for for some madness. Otherwise, it feels like the machine will vibrate apart!!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

How did you mod it to slow it down? I wired an inline switch, to shut it off. I only turn it on when I am in the mood for for some madness. Otherwise, it feels like the machine will vibrate apart!!

Variable voltage regulator did it for me. I swear another gladiators I played was slower on the shaker by default and saw 2 adapter harness plug in things that would let you select the speed. I havent looked in forever as the voltage regulator worked fine for me, and has for a few years with no ill effects.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=197291&highlight=gladiators

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

it feels like the machine will vibrate apart!!

Not to mention the house. If you guys like Gladiators, Barb Wire is also worth checking out. It has a similar charm, but minus the shaker.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not to mention the house. If you guys like Gladiators, Barb Wire is also worth checking out. It has a similar charm, but minus the shaker.

What? No love for Wipeout?

#17 10 years ago

I really had a ball playing the Gladiators that was at Expo this year. It was for sale, for a good price and was in very nice shape too. Hope someone goit it. I would like to have it but but Alas, I am kind of on a severe diet of buying pins till I sell some and make room.

1 month later
#18 10 years ago

Just picked one up!

#19 10 years ago

i'll probably snag one someday. I enjoy playing it at shows when I see it.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'll probably snag one someday.

How bout this one? I've slain the beast so many times now that I guess I can pass it along...
DSCN2180-936.JPGDSCN2180-936.JPG
DSCN2181.JPGDSCN2181.JPG

#21 10 years ago

I have had a similar struggle with F-14. Still have not gotten my initials in first place. I have only had it for about 9 months though.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

those holes look like brand new. Very nice.

And it is. When I was looking for one, all the ones for sale were pretty much blown out. I put a WTB ad on pinside and didn't get much response. I put one on craigslist and received a response that a guy nearby had a HUO one that he would part with. I jumped all over it. I didn't think such a beast existed. I have enjoyed the heck out of it, but it is time to move on. I may regret it someday I'm sure, but I have had my fun.

#24 10 years ago

Gladiators totally took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting much, and was really surprised when it turned out to be an awesome game.

I've slayed the beast a handful of times...always a fun experience. The last two shots are satisfying and difficult.

It's now a keeper in my collection, and I really never expected it to be.

Pete

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And it is. When I was looking for one, all the ones for sale were pretty much blown out. I put a WTB ad on pinside and didn't get much response. I put one on craigslist and received a response that a guy nearby had a HUO one that he would part with. I jumped all over it. I didn't think such a beast existed. I have enjoyed the heck out of it, but it is time to move on. I may regret it someday I'm sure, but I have had my fun.

'

It is an awesome example, but there is no way I should be buying it right now. No room and have to save my rupies until I move, So I do have room.

#26 10 years ago

That's cool. But if anyone else is interested, I paid $1800 for this machine. That may or may not be on the high side for a Gladiators, but considering what other titles in this condition go for, I figured that was a fair price. And that is what I would sell it for. The game is located in So Cal.

#27 10 years ago

After playing Gladiators again at pmWolf's, I can't stop thinking about it!! In a collection with all the new Sterns, a Big Bang Bar and a Cactus Canyon, I think I had the most fun playing friggin' Gladiators out of all of them!

I've been glued to a horrible desktop Virtual Pinball conversion since. I made it to the beast battle twice but the shaker motor simulation makes the ball move like the mist magnet in BSD and float all over the place - impossible to trap!

I'm totally in the market for one!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I'm totally in the market for one!

Michelle Bianchi is only a phone call away!

#29 10 years ago

that's because CC and BBB arn't that great of games. They are status games. Status games usually mean lots of hype with little substance.

#30 10 years ago

One of the only reasons I'm ready to part with it is now Barb Wire is giving me the same rush when I play it. But there or those that are after it as well. It is in the same condition. If I ever start drinking heavily again, I will probably kick myself for letting either one go.

#31 10 years ago

I've owned barb wire for a year or two. Gladiator is a much better game. Barb wire is unfinished. Could have been great but the code is ass.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's because CC and BBB arn't that great of games. They are status games. Status games usually mean lots of hype with little substance.

I wouldn't say either of those games have "little substance"...just that Gladiators has more! Plus it has my favorite flavor of audio/visual cheese

#33 10 years ago

This was supposed to be a Legend of Zelda pin, but sadly changed before production, who knows why.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

This was supposed to be a Legend of Zelda pin, but sadly changed before production, who knows why.

Legend of Zelda would have been killer. I can see it spelling Zelda for the letters.

#35 10 years ago

Absolutely! Z-E-L-D-A = M-U-L-T-I. The pyramid was clearly supposed to be the Triforce...and the beast would've totally been Ganon! Imagine the shaker motor with that "boss monster" roar sound effect going on....

But as cool as that would've been, I'll take warrior babes in gold armor fighting a 3-headed dragon and save $2k.

#36 10 years ago

nah, it says gottlieb on the backglass, so it still would have been a $1200 game.

Look at SMB.

but man, i'm thinking retheme now. Wonder if I can get someone on board to hack the roms for me to customize the code.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nah, it says gottlieb on the backglass, so it still would have been a $1200 game.
Look at SMB.

QFT

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Look at SMB.
but man, i'm thinking retheme now. Wonder if I can get someone on board to hack the roms for me to customize the code.

Gooooood point.

On that retheme: the column of yellow/blue circle inserts could represent life hearts..the 3 sword types could be shown on the "Bladefight" droptargets. What would you do with the catapult?

Does artwork for the Zelda playfield exist anywhere?

#39 10 years ago

doesn't need to, you can create it and make it look fantastic.

Catapult could be used like a cannon. Windwaker would launch you with a cannon, and that big box contraption thing that launches you for some mini game.

#40 10 years ago

One thing I will say about these system 3s, is that you can really feel them when you play. Especially that shaker in Gladiators.

#41 10 years ago

If people really want to tackle a Zelda retheme, I would be happy to help out with artwork and such. I don't even have a Gladiators, but I would pick one up for that

#42 10 years ago

I woudn't want to retheme THIS gladiators tho. This one is super nice. If your going to do a retheme, take some barely working POS that's an 700-800 game and turn it into gold.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Look at SMB.

I was thinking the SAME thing

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Gooooood point.
On that retheme: the column of yellow/blue circle inserts could represent life hearts..the 3 sword types could be shown on the "Bladefight" droptargets. What would you do with the catapult?
Does artwork for the Zelda playfield exist anywhere?

If you do it like JM -> Matrix, you could sand the PF (easy to find a blown out one, probably). Then could change out the insert colors to do the heart or swords, etc.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Barb Wire is unfinished.

Hard to notice after the Jack is. Haywire mode really hits the spot.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

If people really want to tackle a Zelda retheme, I would be happy to help out with artwork and such. I don't even have a Gladiators, but I would pick one up for that

I can't stop daydreaming about the Zelda potential, here - I'd love to take a crack at some art as well! Does anyone have a nice CAD drawing of the original Gladiators layout to go off of?

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I woudn't want to retheme THIS Gladiators tho.

Quoted from RyThom:

I can't stop daydreaming about the Zelda potential, here

Soo.. you guys want a beater.... lol!
It looks like this one may just end up sticking around for a while. It has been a while since I slayed the beast twice in one game. Maybe I should crack the Jack and take a whack.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I can't stop daydreaming about the Zelda potential, here - I'd love to take a crack at some art as well! Does anyone have a nice CAD drawing of the original Gladiators layout to go off of?

not really but vp forums has a picture
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=22167&hl=gladiators

#49 10 years ago

can always play it on VP to really figure out how the rules would be programmed to work with Zelda.

#50 10 years ago

Anyone do any mods to theirs?

Zelda.....can't wait to go to sleep and dream of it maybe even the twilight princess

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gladiatorsbeast-slayerwho-else-is-in-the-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.