81D90B49-D4D4-4FE7-875D-A6EB1659A24F (resized).jpeg
9EEA2E2B-94EF-4FA2-A568-309D4F545DE6 (resized).jpeg
9DF8E6FB-A10A-4164-8A3E-B9DEFBF952E0 (resized).jpeg
D706AAE2-8DD0-4633-8823-1A31C5CD6035 (resized).jpeg
868C129B-7B0C-4DE3-A941-98971CD8D448 (resized).jpeg
9E680A5F-79DA-4CAB-ACFE-597D814F1EA7 (resized).jpeg
EA40A3AD-69B7-4698-98EC-ACE399ED02AB (resized).jpeg
3E760970-9EEF-47EA-BA65-CBDD9F4085F6 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Well that stinks. I don’t have any way to burn the ROM. Is there someone who sells them? What type of damage is typical? I know that connector that was mixed runs through the driver into the cpu. Does it usually just destroy both boards
I did find a rescue 911 manual in my box of manuals that has schematics

That is good... you are going to need schematics. Its going to be difficult to remotely go through this whole thing, but you gotta start somewhere.

Unplug every connector in the backbox, and lets start from the beginning.

Plug in the connector in the bottom of the small power supply board. Take readings on the 5 volt output on the top of the small board... what does your 5 volt read?

#7 5 years ago

I unhooked every single connector from every board except the small power board. When I turn the machine on it does read 5v at any of the outputs on that board. It reads 0
[quoted image]

Okay, look at your schematics for that bottom connector on power supply board, what are your measurements on those pins? Pull off board to take measurements.

#9 5 years ago

I have 16.3 v to pins 1 and 5 and .25 me to pin 4. I checked it with the plug removed from the board. Here is the schematic from the rescue 911 manual.
[quoted image]

Those voltages look okay... ohm out all the resistors and see that their readings match the schematics. Plug that lower connector back in, and try turning the adjustment pot... see if you can get the 5 volt output to move at all on the upper pins coming out.

#11 5 years ago

For some reason my meter only wanted to read in kilo ohms but it .387kohm for r1 and .216 kohm for r2. R3 is the pot itself and it read .414 kohm.
I adjusted the pot both directions and tested the pins at j2. They all read 0 vdc.

Those all check out... at this point, it sounds like your lm33k may have gone south.

Do you get any output on pin 3 of that voltage regulator?
Are you using a ground strap as your grounding point for your meter?

#13 5 years ago

I have the ground clipped to the green and yellow ground coming from the cabinet. I added a pic to make sure it was in an ok position
Do I pull the power board to check that leg of the lm338k?
[quoted image]

Yep... and your ground point is fine too....

#15 5 years ago

Yep... it appears that way. I have rebuilt 4 or 5 of them. Since you are replacing components, you might as well replace everything on that board. I think it will set you back about 11 bucks total.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Yep... it appears that way. I have rebuilt 4 or 5 of them. Since you are replacing components, you might as well replace everything on that board. I think it will set you back about 11 bucks total.

Only other thing I would add.... make sure all your traces are good. Meter them all out. You have the right voltage going in, and nothing coming out. It would stink to order everything and find out you had a bad trace.

#17 5 years ago

Also, I built a Mouser project cart for this power supply a few years ago....

If you want to save some time
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?State=EDIT&ProjectGUID=a77eb293-9073-483c-825c-8903b3b4d094

To note, I used a through hole lm338 instead of the can....

#19 5 years ago

Thanks for that. I will check the traces tomorrow and order the parts. I’ll rebuild the board and then post back when I’m done.

No problem. It has been a few years, so I am not sure if everything in the project is still there. Also, disregard the quantity... I just order more than needed all the time from there.

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

So..... I am still waiting on the lm338k to come in. The tracking says Monday

Yeah, those are getting a bit tougher to find at a decent price. Especially the can version that was original to this design.

1 week later
#23 5 years ago

Nice... now plug in 5 volt connector to top of power supply, and only plug in the connecters/ribbon cable for just the cpu board and dmd driver board above it.

All the other connectors stay unplugged on the other boards.

System 3 DMD games only need the CPU and DMD to talk to each other to boot.

#27 5 years ago

This sounds like classic U8 GAL malfunction, but to be sure- Go through your schematics and verify all three of those connectors you just plugged in have the proper voltages at each pin.

When the boards are working properly, they will alternate flashing when talking.

#28 5 years ago

Also, looking at your pics.... its hard to tell if a cap popped on you, but the left blue cap and the resistor above it look smoked...

#30 5 years ago

The voltage on p1 going into the mpu is correct. The voltage on the 5 and 12 pins on p1 into the controller are only reading mv so no where near 5. Maybe I’m checking it wrong

Can you post a schematic for that connector? It has been awhile since I have had to bring a System 3 back from the dead.

#32 5 years ago

What does pin 9 on the bigger connector read? Also, pin 5?

#34 5 years ago

Pin 9 reads 5.
Pin 5 only reads 1.2

It sounds like you have some voltage issues not allowing that dmd controller to boot. My guess is you smoked the 20volt rectifier in the cabinet amongst other things. This 20 volt goes to the driver board and the dmd controller. (This is the one you are getting a 1.2 reading on)

Clay has a decent explanation here-
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/#ps

#35 5 years ago

Also in regards to the connectors on the dmd controller- the larger one (where I had you measure) is the connector providing voltage to the dmd controller. The smaller one provides voltages from the controller to the dmd itself.

Being that you have a solid line going through the dmd, i believe your high voltages are fine. The logic voltages are off right now. Your 5 volt is good, your 20volt isn't.

Does that make sense?

#37 5 years ago

Yes I think I get it.
So I probably need to go ahead and replace that bridge and the cap inside the cabinet?
I at least feel like I’m getting somewhere wth it. I am going to have shoulder surgery on Friday of this week which will put a bit of a delay in my going much further

Probably just the bridge. Instead of guessing though, you can test a bridge with your multimeter to verify functionality. These bridges are facing up, making them easy to measure.

Swapping the two connectors I think got swapped will do quite a bit of low voltage damage.

Too bad you arent closer, we could pop through it pretty quick.

The drivetrain on these System 3s are pretty straightforward, and I actually like System 3 schematics better than any of the others out there.

#40 5 years ago

I got swamped the last two days trying to get things lined out at work for me to miss tomorrow for surgery on my shoulder. I am not going to get to check this bridge till after I heal up a bit. Hopefully it won’t be too long. I really do appreciate the help

No problem.... good luck with surgery, don't over-do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gladiators-wont-boot-?tu=ralphwiggum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.