(Topic ID: 271440)

Gottlieb Gladiators ejects second ball at start?

By Bumper

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a strange issue with my Gottlieb Gladiators (System 3). It ejects a second ball at start, sometimes after a second. I checked the switch under shooter lane and that one measures fine.

Also, maybe related, when I get multi-ball, it kicks out the locked ball immediately from the top, kick-up hole after providing the second ball in the shooter lane.
What should I look at to figure out this issue?

#2 3 years ago

As always on a Gottlieb System 3 you better done the ground wire upgrade shown on http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

#3 3 years ago

My guess is either a bad trough switch (don't know if they're mechanical or optical - if optical, clean both sides) or a busted wire on one of the trough switches.

Past that, there's a write-up on here, probably one I did a while back, on Genesis regarding this same issue. There's a wire form before the kick-out solenoid that sometimes gets bent out of whack or is on wrong. Check that out also.

#4 3 years ago

Someone I know had a similar issue. Check all trough switches in switch test and the shooter lane, but their's ended up being an extra ball was in the game. Pulled that out and it worked. I find it so weird that it worked for months with an extra ball in the game....

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Someone I know had a similar issue. Check all trough switches in switch test and the shooter lane, but their's ended up being an extra ball was in the game. Pulled that out and it worked. I find it so weird that it worked for months with an extra ball in the game....

Ha, that was the issue Thanks!!!! I did not know it needed 4 balls instead of 5.

I can explain why it worked before, a ball can be stuck and obscured at the pop-bumbers area. The code handles that extra ball quite elegantly when it appears and disappears from the game (when it gets stuck again).

Just got it, it was barely working and it is my first time working on a solid state Gottlieb so I was looking for all the wrong causes. Still have to find the manual of this game in PDF so I can read it on my PC and tablet.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

Ha, that was the issue Thanks!!!! I did not know it needed 4 balls instead of 5.
I can explain why it worked before, a ball can be stuck and obscured at the pop-bumbers area. The code handles that extra ball quite elegantly when it appears and disappears from the game (when it gets stuck again).
Just got it, it was barely working and it is my first time working on a solid state Gottlieb so I was looking for all the wrong causes. Still have to find the manual of this game in PDF so I can read it on my PC and tablet.

Hahah, omg, glad I had the issue so I could pass it on! I also cannot explain why I would have 5 balls in the game and sold it. You’re right, the code and the way the game plays make it take forever to run into the issue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gladiators-ejects-second-ball-at-start?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.