(Topic ID: 254462)

Gottlieb GIGI - throwing a good shock


By smohr

5 months ago



Topic Stats

  • 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

  • Gigi Gottlieb, 1963
#1 5 months ago

Im posting incase this would be helpful to anybody experiencing a hefty shock from the coin door, something to check for. I found the fish paper on the 5 cent coin switch was not laying flat on the switch blade so the coin drop wire was not being insulated. It was actually laying ontop of the coin drop wire. Once I place it between the coin drop wire and the switch blade that insulated it and the shocking is gone.

#2 5 months ago

It's funny, I was just reading about this in one of Clay's EM guides the other day. He also mentioned checking the fish paper on the flipper button switches (especially the metal ones) as they can also wear out or become misaligned.

#3 5 months ago

Fairly early in my pinball "career" I was introduced to the inside of the door of a North Star. It hurt. It wasn't funny!
I believe in shrink wrap. Very good for those hard wire type switch arms that manage to always ground you.
Or you could go with the extra grounding. Either way, own a older Gottlieb? Do this or prepare for the best shock you have ever received since high school when you grabbed the plug wire on your buddies chevy!

#4 5 months ago

Eons ago I was playing my Gtb. Target Pool in the garage and got zapped by a flipper button (the old metal ones), turned out the fish paper on the button switch was toast. Of course I was also barefoot at the time, must have been summer. 8D

#5 5 months ago

Older games often have unpolarized, two pronged plugs which can easily put just a piece of fish paper between you and 120 volts. A proper fix is cheap and easy.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

/Mark

#6 5 months ago

You never want to be barefoot on concrete touching anything electrical, including a pinball machine. BTW, the actual term for the insulating material is fiche paper, not "fish" paper.

#7 5 months ago

Bare feet on a concrete floor are not required. A game with a compromised fish paper insulator and unpolarized plug can have its coin door and side rails tied directly to either the hot or ground side of the plug. If it's sitting next to another game in the same condition with its plug reversed you end up with 120 volts between side rails of the two games. Touch them both and it's like holding on to the stripped end of an extension cord. Ask me how I know...

I can't find a reference to fiche paper, but I think this is the stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanized_fibre. Either way, very interesting material.

#8 5 months ago

Shock Me!!

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Ask me how I know...

Ask me how I know both ways; bare feet on a concrete floor, and touching two games simultaneously; one hot, and one with grounded metal. Two of the worst shocks I've ever gotten.

1 week later
#10 4 months ago

When we were kids during the summer, we would be in wet bathing suits, bare foot, playing pinball on a concrete floor. I guess we were very lucky.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Playdium:

When we were kids during the summer, we would be in wet bathing suits, bare foot, playing pinball on a concrete floor. I guess we were very lucky.

Yeah. The games were newer back then. Fiche paper and wiring were probably in better condition. You were lucky though. The worst shock I ever got was from a garage door opener, and it wasn't even the line voltage. Wet feet and hands on a concrete floor. Luckily it was overhead, so that I immediately was able to break the connection.
It was probably enough to be fatal, and it knocked me on my ass. I felt a little sick afterwards, but no lasting effects except a greater respect for electricity.

#12 4 months ago

So how many of us put a 3 prong wire/plugs on our machines?

Most of my later 70's games had the ground portion of the plug cut off and most 60's games have a 2 blade plug.

I was checking out my Central Park last night with the playfield up game on but not playing a game and got a minor shock from touching one of the relays. I see someone replaced the line cord with a 3 wire type but only a 2 blade plug, so I think I'm going to put a new 3 prong plug on it and see if this helps out.

#13 4 months ago

I have to laugh when a three-wire cord is installed, and the green wire is attached to the transformer base and nothing else. Little good that will do. All the grounding in the world won't prevent you from getting zapped if you touch something hot inside the game and you yourself are the path to ground.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
From: $ 18.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plymouth, MN
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
From: $ 218.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
From: $ 99.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside