You

Linked Games

• Gigi Gottlieb, 1963

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-06-17 23.34.47.jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Gigi from a fellow Pinsider and having some trouble. It was working when I picked it up, but I once got everything re-assembled, the playfield lights were not working. Everything else - flippers, bumpers, etc. seem to work fine.

I've worked on plenty of other arcade machines before but never pinball (and never something this old). This is my first venture - I appreciate you putting up with my n00b speak.

There are 3 fuses inside of the coin door to the left and 1 fuse under the playfield which all look ok. I have checked out the entire machine for loose wires and busted solder joints. I did find one which I fixed but no help. It was connected to what I believe is a coil, so probably not related to my problem anyway.

About 1 out of 20 times, the playfield will light up when the machine is powered on, but will only stay on for a split second.

The game is played so if you light up red lights 1-7 then hit the "speshul" the machine gives you a free game. When I do this, sometimes the playfield will light up, but only for a couple of seconds and then shut off.

I'm over my head here, and the guy that sold it to me lives a long way away, so any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

The 3 places to check are fuses and fuse clips. check fuses with meter and pinch fuse clips for a strong hold. Second is tilt latch in relay on the relay bank, a gi switch on it might be dirty. Third is the playfield Jones plugs, check for dirty pins and loose female connections.

#3 6 years ago

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, I would definitely check & clean those jones plugs.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from orizzle:

About 1 out of 20 times, the playfield will light up when the machine is powered on, but will only stay on for a split second.
The game is played so if you light up red lights 1-7 then hit the "speshul" the machine gives you a free game. When I do this, sometimes the playfield will light up, but only for a couple of seconds and then shut off.

The "couple of seconds" before shutting off makes me think it must be a connector that should be reseated. I hate that you are having trouble. Please keep us posted! I hope your dad enjoys the game!

#5 6 years ago

Looks like the lights are fed by two wires. Black-white and white-black.

Let me know if you need more pictures. This is the relevant portion of the schematic.

2017-06-17 23.34.47.jpg2017-06-17 23.34.47.jpg

#6 6 years ago

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming response and for everyone's suggestions. I've been at this for around 8 hours today but haven't really gotten anywhere.

I used a multimeter to check all the fuses for continuity - they are good. I also pinched the clips and they are making a good connection.

I tried reseating and cleaning the jones connectors. They did not seem to be that dirty to begin with but I did wind up blowing a lot of dust out of the machine. When I fired it back up, it worked! I turned the machine on and off about 5 times to make sure the play field would still light up, and it did. I used my finger to light up red lights 1-7, but when I triggered the "speshul" the playfield went black. Every time I tried to turn it on again, it didn't light up. Reseating again didn't help.

Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Second is tilt latch in relay on the relay bank, a gi switch on it might be dirty.

Can you tell me what this looks like, please?

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Looks like the lights are fed by two wires. Black-white and white-black.
Let me know if you need more pictures. This is the relevant portion of the schematic.

I've seen this page of the schematic but I don't know which wires to look for. Do you happen to have pictures of where they are on the machine?

Thanks again everyone.

#7 6 years ago

The bottom part of the schematic that shows what switches are involved in this light circuit is not shown and is needed to know what switches to check. The latch in bank should have 2 wing nuts, that when loosened​, this will allow the bank to pivot , so the bank switches can be worked on.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The bottom part of the schematic that shows what switches are involved in this light circuit is not shown and is needed to know what switches to check. The latch in bank should have 2 wing nuts, that when loosened​, this will allow the bank to pivot , so the bank switches can be worked on.

The manual was with the game so you should have the schematic. Are you 100% certain that you started the broken wire to the correct tab?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gigi-no-playfield-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.