• Gigi Gottlieb, 1963

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GGi_Subract_Replay_Unit_Jumpers (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Subtract_Replay_with_Test_Light (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Ok, Im back at it, still trying to get this girl to subtract replays when starting a new game. I have been working on the path that HowardR mentioned below in the first pic. I have tested with a test light and I have power from the Motor 2C (GR/BLK wires) and going to "S" (GR/BLK wires) tab. With power off and that switch is closed manually, I have continuity to the other side (BL/OR wires ) tab. I move my test light to the other tab (BL/OR wires) and power up the pin and press the replay button I would have thought the test light would have come on to tell me power is coming thru, but the test light stays off. Am I missing something here and barking up the wrong tree? I also show below my test light testing.

thanks
Steve

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngSubtract_Replay_with_Test_Light (resized).jpgSubtract_Replay_with_Test_Light (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

In case anyone would like a larger picture of the circuit, here it is. Click on it for an even bigger view.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

Check that switch on the S relay for these conditions:

1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#4 5 years ago

Hi HowardR,

#1 Yes there is space when it's open
#2 Yes when closed long blade pushes short blade
#3 I would think they are, they look it
#4 I even gave the contacts a good squeeze thinking they may be loose

I have to walk away from this to regroup, I've done many adjustments/cleanings/testings on this switch.

Can any testing/diagnosing be done with the Reset Bank be in the flipped up position and power on?

Can any other Gigi owners get me a pic of the S relay at different states for comparison?

Thanks
Steve

#6 5 years ago

Thanks @HowardR, I'll do this over the weekend and report back -

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for you help, it's really appreciated...

Ok, I got around to jumpering the circuit... Below is the order I jumpered. The purple/red line are the jumpered spots (numbered 1 thru 9). When I got to the other side of a switch I then "closed" the switch to complete "that" portion of the circuit. All jumpered test were successful and subtracted a replay but when actually starting a game, it does not subtract. Not sure where to go next on this.

thanks
Steve

GGi_Subract_Replay_Unit_Jumpers (resized).jpgGGi_Subract_Replay_Unit_Jumpers (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from smohr:

When I got to the other side of a switch I then "closed" the switch to complete "that" portion of the circuit.

Which switch(es) were open?

#9 5 years ago

Hi HowardR,

Maybe this is not how it needs to be done but this is how I performed the tests... with the pin powered-on. I have credits on the machine and the "zero position" switch is closed. At this point the "S" switch, Motor 2C and Motor 1A are open.

"S" switch - I attached the jumper to the GR-BLK side and manually closed this switch and the subtract unit activated.

Then

"Motor 2C" switch (open at this point) - I located the GR-BLK on the switch stack and placed the jumper on opposite tab (looks like red-blk-wh). I manually closed this switch and then manually closed the "S" switch again and the subtract unit activated.

Then

"Motor 1A" switch (open at this point) - I located the RED-BLK-WH on the switch stack and placed the jumper on the opposite tab. I manually closed this switch and manually closed the "Motor 2C" switch and manually closed the "S" switch again and the subtract unit activated.

This could be a big DUH moment... I just had a thought, do I need to have the jumper in position THEN press the reset/replay button to let the pin go thru it's natural course at start-up. Because with me manually closing the switches could/is different from when the machine does it..

Steve

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from smohr:

This could be a big DUH moment... I just had a thought, do I need to have the jumper in position THEN press the reset/replay button to let the pin go thru it's natural course at start-up. Because with me manually closing the switches could/is different from when the machine does it..

I'd call it more of an AHA! experience.

#11 5 years ago

There's only four switches in the whole circuit. You can manually check to see if each of them closes a lot faster than jumpering all over the place.

The zero position on the credit unit is easy. With credits on the machine, it is closed. So that leaves just checking to see if the switch on S closes when you manually close the relay. Then manually turn the score motor and check the two motor switches.

#12 5 years ago

Thanks HowardR and EMsInKC,

EMsInKC - Yes 4 switches and I manually close the "S" switch and slowly turn the score motor and can see all switches do close.

HowardR - Jumpering that "S" switch was the culprit. Sensitive bugger, adjusting that one just right (just a hair of a gap) to get the correct amount of pressure/wiping action on it was the trick. Is this a sign that the "S" switch should be replaced?

Thanks for all your help, She's 100% now.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Joyous New Year!
Steve

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from smohr:

Thanks HowardR and EMsInKC,
EMsInKC - Yes 4 switches and I manually close the "S" switch and slowly turn the score motor and can see all switches do close.
HowardR - Jumpering that "S" switch was the culprit. Sensitive bugger, adjusting that one just right (just a hair of a gap) to get the correct amount of pressure/wiping action on it was the trick. Is this a sign that the "S" switch should be replaced?
Thanks for all your help, She's 100% now.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Joyous New Year!
Steve

No. That's just Gottlieb relays being Gottlieb relays. They can be touchy to adjust.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gigi-back-at-it-subtract-replay-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.