(Topic ID: 283250)

Gottlieb (problem with system 1 displays)

By Teknotoyz

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by sparky672
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Genie (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Need Help

I have a Genie that I have working except for the displays.
Upon power-on there are 3 different things that may happen seemingly at random
1) Displays work, but when the "Display high score" dip is set it alternates between a score and garbage (instead of "0" as I understand it).
2) Displays all show zero, including the credit and ball displays. Upon starting a game the displays show all segments (no score)
3) Displays remain off, not working at all.

Game plays normally other than the display issue.
When the displays are working, the display diagnostic works fine for all displays
All displays act the same, I know 1-2 & 3-4 are controlled in pairs, but issue effects all 5 displays.
Display power measures good.

What I have done:
1) Installed a Rottendog power supply
2) Installed a Rottendog driver board
3) Replaced the battery with a coin cell and diode (very little corrosion, local to the battery pads only)
4) Re-pinned the interconnect cable between the MPU & Driver boards
5) Installed a new GI fuse holder
6) Re-pinned the display connectors on the right of the MPU
7) Re-pinned the power connectors

Genie (resized).jpgGenie (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Sounds like an issue in the original mpu,(spider chips), suggest NiWumph.

#3 3 years ago

System 1 games use BCD coding of display digits, and can only display numbers 0 to 9, while the 4-bit BCD can hold values 0 to 15. If game memory is corrupted (lost battery power) it can contain invalid numbers that show as garbage.

To clear the problem with erratic high scores, you need to reset the highest score. Repeatedly push the test button on front door, until "10" is shown on credit display, then push the reset button on CPU board. This resets the high score, You can set new score by keeping the start button pushed down. Store the new high score by pushing the test button once more.

Do the same for all three replay levels (test steps 7, 8 and 9). Remember to push the test button after setting the desired score, otherwise it will not be stored.

2 years later
#4 7 months ago

Did you ever resolve this issue? I know this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing the exact same thing with a Totem. Displays either work fine, come up with all 000000 or don't work at all. There seems to be no pattern to it. Display connectors on the MPU have been repinned and the edge connector is clean.

#5 7 months ago

I would check the 60V for the displays coming from the power supply.
Resolder the connector A2P3 and check resistance of R33(have to be 33Ohm) on the PS
If this voltage goes under a specific limit the displays will just go off.

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from cooke:

Displays either work fine, come up with all 000000 or don't work at all.

Not much information to go on, but since it affects all displays and sometimes zeros/blank, that probably has nothing to do with the displays themselves, or even the display section of the MPU. Sounds more like a booting issue. What's the history and condition of the MPU?

2 weeks later
#7 6 months ago

I agree with you. I think it has something to do with the amount of time the board's CPU is held low upon bootup. The board is in excellent condition. The original battery has been removed. No corrosion. Ground mods have been done. Voltages from the rebuilt power supply are perfect at the displays.

Game worked great until the outhole solenoid locked on. Z6 was fried along with the associated transistor. Not sure which part took out which, but both were found to be bad. I replaced the bad parts and the coil (the game was left on long enough to destroy the coil and blow the fuse). Now the game works fine but the displays have this issue, which was not present before. Again, they work fine maybe every 4th or 5th time the game is powered on.

What's the easy way to increase the number of milliseconds the reset signal is held low? I remember reading about this before but can't remember which component to replace. It seems this would be the easiest way to test if that's the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quoted from sparky672:

Not much information to go on, but since it affects all displays and sometimes zeros/blank, that probably has nothing to do with the displays themselves, or even the display section of the MPU. Sounds more like a booting issue. What's the history and condition of the MPU?

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from cooke:

Again, they work fine maybe every 4th or 5th time the game is powered on.

I don't think I can be much help, but that certainly seems to point to the reset/boot section of the MPU, IMO.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_1#MPU_Boot_Issues

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genie-system-1-display-problems-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.