You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fuse (resized).jpg
9B999F65-76CA-43F6-972E-B23B9E20B57F (resized).jpeg
890BFE19-4358-443D-85AD-779F98CC150F (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all, I have finally added a system 1 to my collection, but when I purchased it, the scores were out. This game has new score boards and the PI-1 X4 board in it.

After quite a bit of research, this is what I've done in an attempt to diagnose the issue:

1. Checked pins 7 & 9 on the transformer. They read 73VAC, which is a bit high but seems fine to me.

2. Checked A2P1 pins 6&7 and they also read 73VAC, so it sounds like the high voltage circuit is working fine.

3. Checked A2P3 Pins 1&5 and get only 1.5VDC instead of 60VDC.

4. Checked A2p3 pins 3&5 and get only 0.61V instead of 42VDC.

5. Checked A2P3 pin 7 to A2P1 pin 5 and get 5V instead of 4, but this should be fine.

6. Checked A2P3 pin 8 to A2P1 pin 5 and get 8.38V, which is perfect.

This is where i'm stumped with online resources. I don't have a schematic or manual for the game, and pinrepair only offers "The 60vdc and 42vdc power lines come from the 69vac bottom board voltage" for info on the DC not being there.

Also, I did read in another thread that there are fuses that look more like capacitors on this board. There is a light brown one near the 60v LED. I pulled it and tested for continuity and didn't get any. I'm thinking maybe the 73V blew this fuse?

I've also read that the power supply has a pot to adjust the high voltage. Is this true, and if so, where would I find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Bump for evening crowd. Anyone?

#3 4 years ago

Sounds like the funny little fuse is blown... No displays without it.

I had 1 displays causing mine to blow once upon a time. Had to trouble shoot adding 1 display at a time.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ScottoKong:

Sounds like the funny little fuse is blown... No displays without it.
I had 1 displays causing mine to blow once upon a time. Had to trouble shoot adding 1 display at a time.

That will do it . Pascal makes a 80 and 100 amp fuse . Will have to look at the pascal site to see which one your board needs. I got a later board that had a 80 amp but needed a 100 which caused the same issue
890BFE19-4358-443D-85AD-779F98CC150F (resized).jpeg890BFE19-4358-443D-85AD-779F98CC150F (resized).jpeg9B999F65-76CA-43F6-972E-B23B9E20B57F (resized).jpeg9B999F65-76CA-43F6-972E-B23B9E20B57F (resized).jpeg

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

80 and 100 amp

FYI, mA is milliamp, not amp.

So, those fuses are actually 0.08A and 0.1A.

#6 4 years ago

Are those "TR5" style fuses?
See here:
https://www.littelfuse.com/products/fuses/axial-radial-thru-hole-fuses/tr5-fuses/370.aspx
and here:
https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics/datasheets/fuses/littelfuse_fuse_370_datasheet.pdf.pdf
Dimensions at bottom of second link.

2nd link may not work, if not - you can find a link to data sheet in first link.

Also - those are mAmp, not Amp ratings.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks guys!

So could I jumper slow blow fuses of the same amperage to test, or are these fuses special in some way?

Also, is the 73VAC okay? Or will that keep blowing it?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

FYI, mA is milliamp, not amp.
So, those fuses are actually 0.8A and 0.1A.

careful here...

fuses are 80mA = 0.08A
and 100mA = 0.1A
Cheers Bob

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

careful here...
fuses are 80mA = 0.08A
and 100mA = 0.1A
Cheers Bob

The print is so small you would need x-ray vision to read those fuses.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

The print is so small you would need x-ray vision to read those fuses.

The print is so small...you would need to see through them to read them

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

The print is so small...you would need to see through them to read them

Ha, I missed the logic issue there.

Anyway, I don't remember, but don't they make a .1A slow blow? I'd have to look at what I have. Assuming I can match it, can I jumper it? Sounds like I may want to error on the side of caution.

Sucks that they didn't put the little cylinder fuses on the board so that average pinheads might have the parts on hand. It's a pain to wait for fuses to come in the mail.

#12 4 years ago

Looks like I need the .100A (100mA) fuse. I tested it again to be sure, and sure as shit, she's pooched!

I'll report back when I get the fuses in the mail. I'm going to disconnect all displays and add them one at a time.

Picture below is for future pinheads that might need a reference.

fuse (resized).jpgfuse (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Hey, can someone post the exact part number for the 100mA fuse that I need for the board? There are several choices when I look at the tiny fuse site. Mouser and digikey appear to carry all of them, but I'm not sure which one to order. I emailed the guy that builds the boards, but I'm not sure when he's going to get back to me. I'd like to order the fuses today if possible.

#14 4 years ago

See post #6. Compare the size to the TR5 fuses, I think that's what these are.
I'm thinking this is equal to a Littelfuse 37001000410

Pascal is usually quick at emails like this so he my also give you a part number.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

See post #6. Compare the size to the TR5 fuses, I think that's what these are.
I'm thinking this is equal to a Littelfuse 37001000410
Pascal is usually quick at emails like this so he my also give you a part number.

Thanks, I sent him an email, so hopefully he'll get back to me this weekend. I'm assuming that the differences in the fuses are just lead lengths, but I want to be sure I'm ordering the right ones. Strange that the part number is not listed on his website or in the manual.

#16 4 years ago

Pascal got back to me, and it looks like I ordered the wrong fuses. Bummer.

Here is the part for future reference.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=486-2002-ND%20

#17 4 years ago

Schurter 0034.6004

Exact same thing as the Littelfuse 37001000410

#18 4 years ago

Update: Board is up and running. Just needed the fuse.

1 year later
#19 2 years ago

What is the component on the dispolay that causes the high current draw to blow this fuse?
The display itself or one of the components?

As good practice, I replace the orange cap on each display with new (per Pascal) to reduce chances of the display power fuse blowing but I just had a display
blow that fuse even with the new cap (after being on for several minutes).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genie-system-1-60v-amp-42v-dc-missing-pi-1-x4-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.