Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by myork82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Genie that none of the switches are working on. It has been totally repinned and has a Ni-Wumpf mpu, rottendog driver, and rottendog power supply. The game boots and will go into attract mode, but I cannot access the test menu nor will the credit switches or start button work. Also I tried hitting the switches on the playfield to see if the displays blink and they don't seem to be working either. The owner of the game said it was working fine and then it quit after he was messing with the coindoor. He brought it to me and the previous guy that worked on it installed a credit button on the bottom of the machine and ran two wires up and over the coin mechs down to one of the coin switches. After looking at those wires I found one that was pinched by the coindoor and pretty much cut in half. I'm pretty sure this caused the issue the game is having currently. Now on the Ni-wumpf board I have checked Z12, Z13, and Z14 which is in the switch matrix circuit via the test outlined on pinwiki on how to check 74xx series IC's. All of those IC's checked fine. The only other two chips in the switch matrix on the board is Z15 and Z16 which are LM339AM's. I looked online and couldn't find any info on how to check them. Can they be checked with the meter? The next steps I'm going to take is check all the switch matrix diodes and check continuity of the switches back to the J6 and J7 connectors to make sure none are stuck closed and to check there function. Is there anything else I should check or am I missing something here? I wish I had another system 1 to try the Ni-Wumpf board in, but I don't.

Here is the manual for the Ni_wumpf board
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/Gottlieb/System%201/NiSystem1Manual.pdf

#2 9 years ago

Another thing i'm noticing with the game is when you fire it up you get no 5 sec delay like its in slam tilt, but the high scores flash and the ni-wumpf is running its attract mode with the lamp matrix. Also you get no click click from the tilt and game over relay.

#3 9 years ago

you sure its not got the tilt stuck? same return. perhaps start with a multimeter and the game off. Check A1P6 and see if things are as they should be. The pinouts from the solid state service manual...

1 - ground.
2 - anti cheat
3 - return0
4,5,6-strobes 1,2,3
8 strobe 0

check the diodes for them too (mounted on the power board in the cabinet base)

also check the switch itself and make sure it actually works..

#4 9 years ago

That is what it seems like is going on, but the high scores are flashing and the displays don't seem to be doing that rolling thing they do with a stock mpu in slam. Idk maybe the ni-wumpf will show the high scores and act normal with the game slamed. Of course I don't know if it had a 5 sec delay on power up when it was working. It doesn't now which would indicate a tilt if it had the stock board...

I'm going to check all the wiring involved in the slam circuit and check the switches tonight

#5 9 years ago

I talked to Ace with ni-wumpf and he said the new style board ignores the slam tilt unless you are actually playing a game. He thinks Z14 was fried when the switch matrix was shorted out to the coin door. I'm going to replace it and go from there.

#6 9 years ago

not sure because i only use pascal boards but hopefully he is right

#7 9 years ago

Yep I hope he is right also. I've never had a ni-wumpf and the machine came to me broke so I don't have anything to compare it to. I wish I had a another sys 1 machine so I could try the board in it or put the stock board in this Genie.

#8 9 years ago

I replaced Z14 and it fixed the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genie-switch-matrix-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.