Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by noflip95
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm installing a new sound board in my Gottlieb Genie machine. I removed the outer space sounding Williams board that was in there when I got the Genie. I've re-spliced all of the wires back to the A7J1 connector according to the color codes. I want to test the voltages with my meter on each of the pins of the A7J1 before connecting to the board, but I don't know what the voltages should be? The schematic seems to show voltages only after passing through a resistor, transistor, capacitor, etc., but not what they are coming from the connector? Am I just reading the schematic incorrectly? Also, the schematic shows that only pins 3-12 are used. Do you read them 1-12, left to right as you're looking at the "A7J1" label with the connector pins facing up?

I appreciate anyone's help.

RRMUSICMAN

#2 6 years ago

Hi,

The connector of the C-18389 "Sound Board" is quite simple: Indeed, pin 1 and 2 are unused.

When you hold the board, facing the components side with the big metalic regulator at bottom: the A7J1 connector is on your left (of course with the copper contacts on the opposite side). The pin 1 is at bottom (near the diode group), the pin 12 is at top (near the resistor group).

The connector with wires, coming from the CPU has the same numerotation. It's easy to identify pin 1 and 2 because they are not connected.

The only voltage to take care on the connector is the power: on pin 11/12 is the Ground. On pins 9 and 10 you should have the alternative voltage (about 12 VAC).

Pin 8 is the audio output.

All others pins are commands: there is no voltage here (pins 3 to 7). The drivers/cpu boards drive them to the ground when needed.
On the soundboard, there is pullup resistors to maintain a default voltage of 5v.

So, when rewiring the A7J1 the only things to take care is the AC power on pin 9 & 10, ground on pin 11 & 12, and the oudio output on pin 8.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 65.00
Electronics
Cobra Amusements
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genie-sound-board-install and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.