Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG

#1 9 years ago

Hello Pinside
I am looking for a little help getting my Genie machine back up and running.

Let me start with a little bit about myself so you know my level of expertise or lack thereof. I have owned a few EM machines and a few SS machines over the past few years. I have been teaching myself how to do repairs to them however I would consider myself very novice at this point. I can change out parts and pieces and do a little soldering but when it comes to major issues I am still very over my head. This being said I apologize in advance if some of my terminology / wording are wrong in my description.

I purchased a Gottlieb Genie machine about 2 years ago, at the time it would power on however that was it. I spent a lot of time reading about system 1 games and issues and finally got it working with some minor issues. The project got the back burner and I really had not touched it for the last year. About a month ago I decided that I wanted to get it up and going with a new Pascal PI-1X4 all-in-one board. When the board arrived I installed it with no issues and the game worked great. The only issue now was the aging displays. The second time I turned it on with the new Pascal board one of the displays caused the fuse on the board to blow (no big deal) I replaced it and decided to order a Boston Display kit.

So the Boston kit is here and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong because I cannot get it to work. I think I have isolated the issue to one connection, the A2J3 PCB Adapter.
Here is a picture of the board without the Boston Kit plugged into the A2P3 on the Pascal board
IMG_0672.JPGIMG_0672.JPG
As you can see the game is booted and playable just no displays (note the 60v status LED is out because the fuse is pulled)

Here is a picture of the board once I have the Boston kit hooked up
IMG_0671.JPGIMG_0671.JPG
The game will power on but nothing more.
Here is a closer up pic of the adapter
IMG_0667.JPGIMG_0667.JPG
So after all that my question is has anyone here installed these two products in a system 1 game and what have I done wrong. I know this is probably something so simple that I am just overlooking but I cannot figure it out 

#2 9 years ago

You have seen this disclaimer on Boston's site, yes? :

Important note about machines with Pascal System 1 CPU boards, PI-1 or PI-1 X4: If you have a machine with one of these replacement CPU boards, Please E-mail Pascal before installing our Display Kit, some older Boards (PI-1 and PI-1 X4 before version 2.2) will need an upgrade that Pascal can provide for free, or you can upgrade the board yourself if you have soldering tools.

#3 9 years ago

Yes I did contact Pascal prior to purchasing the Boston kit and was told everything was good to go.

4 years later
#4 5 years ago

Hey jakelmnop - did you every figure out this issue?

I just did the Boston Pinball LED swap for my Sinbad - also using Pascal's PI-1 X4 board. I came across this old post of yours as I was a bit confused by Boston's instructions regarding where the new PCB connects to A2J3 as I couldn't identify where A2J3 is located on Pascal's board! So your photo helped me realize what's going on (the A2J3 connector is installed at the the A2P3 connection on Pascal's board - you remove the connector, place the new Boston PCB on A2P3, then plug the A2J3 into the PCB).

My issue was similar to yours with the fuse to the flourescent displays blowing every four or five times its started up. I added a new fuse for the flourescents when I installed the new Boston Pinball LEDs just to be safe (I'm not sure if this fuse is still in use now that the flourescent display's are removed).

It all works fine for me!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 23.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genie-help?hl=quinntopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.