Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wadwerks
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

genie.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I just picked up a Genie and have a few little issues I could use some help with. First off the right upper flipper is pretty weak I looked at the coils on both upper flippers and the weak one looks like a new A-17875 just like the lower flippers but the strong left flipper has a a-5141. Do I need two new coils or just one and if so what coils should be there. I also have 3 new a-20095's and trying to decide if I should use those for the lower flippers. Last problem is the only noise it makes is the na, naaa, na , naaa, naaa. Not really sure how to describe it other then that but if I hit the sound test switch it plays all other sounds, and some times it will play the sound when I hit the flippers. Is it possible there a switch some where that is supposed to make that noise that could be touching or gaped to close?

Thanks,
Jon

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from wadwerks:

Do I need two new coils or just one and if so what coils should be there.

All 5 flipper coils should be A-17875, as it says on page 18 of the manual. Pinball Resource should have them, as well as a manual for the game. Change all the EOS switches too, to eliminate them as being the cause of weak flippers.

Quoted from wadwerks:

Is it possible there a switch some where that is supposed to make that noise that could be touching or gaped to close?

Sound board may need to be re-capped. Should have the ground mod too. If the edge connectors for the sound board are factory, you definitely need to replace those. You may also want to try changing dipswitch 1 on the sound board (changes sounds). You may be missing only half your sounds. Power off game, change switch one on sound board, power game back up and see what sounds you have. Ground mod instructions are on pinrepair.com.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wadwerks:

Not really sure how to describe it other then that but if I hit the sound test switch it plays all other sounds, and some times it will play the sound when I hit the flippers. Is it possible there a switch some where that is supposed to make that noise that could be touching or gaped to close?
Thanks,
Jon

If you hit the flipper and it makes a sound, is it also scoring as well? If it is, then see how many points it is scoring to help locate the stuck switch.

Jason

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

If you hit the flipper and it makes a sound, is it also scoring as well? If it is, then see how many points it is scoring to help locate the stuck switch.

Yeah, I may have misunderstood what he was saying. Genie has a bunch of 10 points switches. I bet it's one of those. Once that stuck switch is found and corrected, all the other sounds should come back.

#5 5 years ago

It does not score when it makes the sound and nothing is hit. I am going to do the ground mod in a day or two. Hard to tell on the connectors, if they are original they are beautiful but the inside of the cabinet looks like brand new and there is no corrosion on and connectors. The guy I got it from thought it was the sound chip so figured I would try everything else before trying to hunt one down. I do notice the once in a while when something is scored for a split second it starts to make the proper sound then that damn na, nana, naaaa naaaa kicks in. I tried changing the sound switch and it changes the sounds but still does the na, nana, naaaa naaaa sound the whole time just sounds different.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Yeah, I may have misunderstood what he was saying. Genie has a bunch of 10 points switches. I bet it's one of those. Once that stuck switch is found and corrected, all the other sounds should come back.

Fixed many system 1's and a stuck 10 point switch is very common. So many on most system 1's so need to check all the switches and wiring

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Fixed many system 1's and a stuck 10 point switch is very common. So many on most system 1's so need to check all the switches and wiring

I've got a stuck 10 point on my Genie that I can't locate.

I had the same problem with my sound card on my Genie. I fixed it with a chime unit off eBay.

Jason

#8 5 years ago

I've got a stuck 10 point on my Genie that I can't locate.

Follow the green arrows. 7 total.

genie.jpg

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

All 5 flipper coils should be A-17875, as it says on page 18 of the manual.

The two coils the OP mentioned are interchangeable as I understand. I'm actually considering swapping the lower 17875 out in my genie and replacing with 20095s.

Wadwerks, if you decide to put in the 20095s, can you let me know how the game plays?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Vannos:

The two coils the OP mentioned are interchangeable as I understand.

Both will fit, but as he noted, the A-5141 is stronger. The 20095's are even stronger. If you go with those, make sure to add some plastic protectors under the plastics on the lower playfield. On mine, with the factory coils, I can hit the top right drop target from the (lowest) right flipper. Doesn't crush it, but knocks it down just fine.

If the original poster is still reading, the lower the resistance of the coil, the stronger it is. All three coils are listed on the coil chart linked below.

http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

On mine, with the factory coils, I can hit the top right drop target from the (lowest) right flipper

Interesting, never been able to do that on mine I think i'll see if there's any excessive wiggle in the flipper, or give in the bakelite linkages. Maybe a things just need to be tightened up.

#12 5 years ago

The screw that holds the flipper bat to the lower 'shoe' often comes loose. If you can wiggle the bat side to side, that screw is loose. Retighten it using blue thread sealer. If the bats are cracked, PBR has new ones. Get the correct 3/8" lower rubbers and ribbed upper rubbers (both red) while you're ordering.

I do liberally wax mine. Pitch is 4.8 degrees between the flippers.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Follow the green arrows. 7 total.

I think there are more than seven 10 point switches. I'll check later today.

1 week later
#14 5 years ago

Ok yea I get nothing when hitting the 10 point switches so might be one of those, I didn't know there where so many. I have also noticed that all my flippers seem to be weak so not gonna change them till I find the cause of the weak flippers.

#15 5 years ago

Well good news is I did find a closed 10 point switch. As it did fix the fact that the 10 point switches where not scoring it still continues to laugh at me with that sound.

Post edited by wadwerks : ooops

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Summerville, SC
€ 8.40
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Senoia, GA
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
1,175 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lansdale, PA
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 93.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside