image_(resized).jpg
20160319_170718_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
2016-03-17_23.41.38_(resized).jpg
2016-03-17_21.14.58_(resized).jpg
2016-03-17_22.15.36_(resized).jpg
2016-03-17_22.15.39_(resized).jpg
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago

I switched the boards to see if the problem follows, probably a bad transistor.

#102 7 years ago

Bad board. I actually ordered a spare with some other parts so it was an easy swap. Will probably repair the old one later.

#103 7 years ago

Ok so I have a quick question about the flippers. I rebuilt the left and it's working great. I rebuilt the right but haven't installed yet. The wiring looks different from the left one. Here is a photo ofnit before I took it apart, does this look normal? Does the right flipper have any other use that would need it to be wired differently?

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

I'll take a look at mine tonight. The right flipper on Raven also serves as the lane change.

#105 7 years ago

Ah good call. That is probably what it is.

#106 7 years ago

Yes lane change

1 week later
#107 7 years ago

Ok...all I have left are the 2 kicking targets and the vari-target. Nothing registers when any of them are activated. No score, no kickback...nothing. Where do I start? I originally checked the fuses and they all seem to be fine although I think I might go back to check again as a few of the fuse holders were mildly corroded.

#108 7 years ago

I am a bit stumped on where to begin. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

I am a bit stumped on where to begin. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Switch contacts and connectors.

#110 7 years ago

Check for power at coil

1 week later
#111 7 years ago

Kick back targets are now functioning. Varitarget works now as well but I need to adjust the switches to get it working right. I do have a problem with it returning back to its start position though. I pulled it, cleaned everything and still sluggish (sometimes not even returning). Do you think I need to wind the spring a few more times to make it stronger?

#112 7 years ago

I'm an idiot. I was testing it while the play field was up. Everything is working now! Will post some pics later tonight.

3 weeks later
#113 7 years ago

Been awhile since I've updated this thread. I've been able to put a bunch of games on the machine and I only have one issue.
Sometimes when I turn it on, I will have no sound. I'll start playing and eventually I will get sound effects while playing. Once that happens and then the ball drains, I will get music back. I reseated all of the connectors on the sound board but that did not fix the problem.
The game over switch is currently closed all the time since I need to replace the solenoid. Would that cause the problem? Also, I can't seem to locate a replacement solenoid.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

Sometimes when I turn it on, I will have no sound. I'll start playing and eventually I will get sound effects while playing. Once that happens and then the ball drains, I will get music back. I reseated all of the connectors on the sound board but that did not fix the problem.

Sounds like you might have capacitors dying in the sound area. If the sound effects fade in rather than coming in instantly, I'm expecting the caps are just bad enough that they start acting correctly once they've "warmed up".

If it's a sudden return, there might be a transistor or diode for the sound that's flaky.

#115 7 years ago

Can you post a pic of the solenoid you say is bad.

#116 7 years ago

I just moved my pins to the basement so I'll be taking a look at the Genesis problems this week. I have no sound now so first thing I'm going to take a look at pinwiki tonight to see steps for troubleshooting. Also going to run the solenoid test to see what's up with the game over coil. I'll try to take a pic...its tucked in tight

#117 7 years ago

Pic of game over relay attached. I ran the relay test and I don't hear anything for relay 0 (game over relay). My temp fix was to pinch the switch closed so i can play but I would like to fix it.

I haven't looked too far into the no sound problem. When I power the machine on I usually get a beep and the led is flashing as it should. Pressing the test buttons plays the audible beeps. I ordered a logic probe to measure signals. For awhile the sound would kick on after playing for a bit but now it's not working at all. So perhaps it is a cold solder joint? Or maybe one of the roms or the DAC failed? Should I just replace them first?

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

Pic of game over relay attached. I ran the relay test and I don't hear anything for relay 0 (game over relay). My temp fix was to pinch the switch closed so i can play but I would like to fix it.

Try straightening out the leaf with a leaf adjustor tool. Also run an index card between the contacts while pinching them to clean them.

Quoted from bpa:

I haven't looked too far into the no sound problem. When I power the machine on I usually get a beep and the led is flashing as it should. Pressing the test buttons plays the audible beeps. I ordered a logic probe to measure signals. For awhile the sound would kick on after playing for a bit but now it's not working at all. So perhaps it is a cold solder joint? Or maybe one of the roms or the DAC failed? Should I just replace them first?

I would check voltages, making sure the legs of the socketed chips are clean, that they make contact through the socket to the board, that there are no cracked solder joints, and then finally tackle cap replacements before diving too much further into troubleshooting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genesis-project-where-do-i-start/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.