• Latest reply 4 years ago by Nick_C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190614_114644 (resized).jpg
20190614_114633 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 20eyes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

I fixed a Monte Carlo project A while back with the same problem 5v at the mpu measured low. After I replaced the headers on the 5v power supply new crimp pins and cleaned the 5v edge connector on the mpu with an eraser it came back to life. I typically add the pcb ground mods after I get the game functional my thinking is if its working the connections should be ok at that point then add ground mods for reliability. Its also way easier to remove the boards without having to mess with the spaghetti wires.

1 week later
#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

I was wondering about the "Y". They should still work though?

All data and address lines are high. Does that mean anything? Is there a way to test it? Maybe swap with prom 1?
The eprom I gather must be burned? It can be used with the daughter board instead of the pinitech adapter?
I desoldered and reflowed the daughter board but only the pins on the mpu. After I did this it still requires a push in the corner. It is probably the pins on the daughter board itself.
I apologize for all the questions, I am new to troubleshooting boards. I have some knowledge in electrical just not logics, I am willing to learn.

There are single and double sided traces on the daughter cards and the single sided ones can be problematic since you can't reflow it without removing it entirely and run a big risk of pulling the traces on the mpu. I normally yank them and replace them with ones from Fred Swemmer. If you are careful you can get in there with micro shears and just cut the card off and heat and pull the pins individually. I have fixed the originals and still had booting issues down the line.
Another quick thought if you have an eprom burner Rock only uses the one eprom on the daughter card so if you are suspecting issues with the prom 2 socket after you get the daughter card issue fixed burn the Rock eprom to test the board.

#12 4 years ago

Read the roms with an eprom programmer and compare with rom files or romident. If they are corrupt or wrong burn the right roms and re test. The trick to working on system 80 machines is having more than one and lots of stockpiled boards.
Another thing to test the mpu for issues is using a prom 1 for Rock since Rock does not use prom 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 20eyes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genesis-mpu-assistance-?tu=20eyes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.