• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c58c6bb2d34613e199a1499bbe5ee874ca26345e (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Gottlieb Genesis and am starting to do a full rundown. However, I've encountered a problem that I've never had before, and not totally sure I can describe accurately. Also, apologies if I am using incorrect terminology for this as I don't know what it is called. Please feel free to correct me!

Genesis has a view port in the center of the playfield to showcase a "frankenstein-esque" creature when certain functions of the game are done. I believe other Gottlieb tables use the same exact cutout, in some cases for a sub-playfield. The main problem I am having is that the clear plastic used for the viewport does not sit flush with the playfield, so when you hit a ball across it, it tends to jump up in the center of the field, sometimes leaping over ramps and other areas of the game.

The viewport plastic technically sits lower than the playfield. I'm asking here to see if anyone else has run into this, and what my options are. The only things I can think of are:

1) Cut out a paper/something spacer to go underneath the plastic in hopes to raise it a little.
2) Cutout some mylar to cover the center plastic to hopefully make it a little more flush.

Ideas? Am I crazy? Is this a lost cause? I snagged a picture of someone else's table on here and highlighted the area I'm talking about.

c58c6bb2d34613e199a1499bbe5ee874ca26345e (resized).jpgc58c6bb2d34613e199a1499bbe5ee874ca26345e (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Just adjust the screws up or down. There should be some foam washers on the underside.

#3 5 years ago

If the solution is that simple, you are a beautiful person! Sorry if this is a dumb post. I haven't messed with any playfields with an insert like this. I'll check that out and see how it fares.

Thanks

#4 5 years ago

Hey stubs. I just started a genesis GI thread. If you have a minutes could you shoot me a picture of the GI light socket just to the right of the Vari target?

#5 5 years ago

I had to make new washers for mine cause they were mashed down and couldnt get the window level. I just used some sticky back foam strip from home depot.

#6 5 years ago

Hi Matt - Yes, you need new foam washers or need to fashion some as the others have said. The ones that are in there probably are dried up. New washers then adjust the screws to get the viewing window flush with the playfield.

#7 5 years ago

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. You are all right, the fubber/foam washers that were there are no more. I'll go ahead and grab some new ones from home depot and see how they go. Thanks for your help and an easy solve.

woodmedic PM me so we don't highjack the thread and I can take some photos.

#8 5 years ago

I had already posted my own thread so that I wouldn't hijack this one. Some one already sent a pic. Thanks though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-genesis-center-plastic-not-flush-with-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.