Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by mdo1998
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7560814_1 (resized).png
    IMG_4118 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4126 (resized).png
    IMG_4120 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4119 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4118 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4116 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4117 (resized).jpeg
    #1 11 months ago

Having some issue with the mini-stepper unit for match in Gottlieb Sure Shot, I’ve cleaned it up and now all electrical connections are good, match will “match” as appropriate and so forth, but often does not advance, the plate that is activated by the relay, which has the small plastic teeth comes off center, misaligns, and no longer advances the stepper, if I put pressure on the front of this plate and manually activate from the rear, by pushing down near the spring all works fine, without the pressure on the front of the plate, when activated the plate does not settle back correctly on the gear axil and fails to drive forward the stepper, wondering if I’m missing something, like another spring, or something that helps keep these little plastic components aligned correctly. Pictures below of unit.

IMG_4116 (resized).jpegIMG_4116 (resized).jpegIMG_4117 (resized).jpegIMG_4117 (resized).jpegIMG_4118 (resized).jpegIMG_4118 (resized).jpegIMG_4119 (resized).jpegIMG_4119 (resized).jpegIMG_4120 (resized).jpegIMG_4120 (resized).jpeg
    #2 11 months ago

Are you missing a spring at the ratchet?

#3 11 months ago

Is that the original spring, shown above in the 3rd photo? Might be deceiving, but the spring wire appears pretty heavy duty.

#5 11 months ago

I’ll look at the links sent from Howard, but to answer the other two questions, I have only one spring, so if two are needed, I can’t see where the 2nd would go, and in regards to the spring being original, I have no idea but looks like the others on the other relays hanging next to it.

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from mdo1998:

in regards to the spring being original, I have no idea but looks like the others on the other relays hanging next to it

It should be a different spring.
    AG relays use A-5081 spring (See https://www.pbresource.com/relay-GTB.html#gtb-ag )
    AS relays use A-8737 spring (See https://www.pbresource.com/relay-GTB.html#gtb-as )

#7 11 months ago

Upon closer look, you are correct, it is a different spring, so would seem that’s correct. Regardless using either spring it does not work, the pallet moves forward off the gear, away from the spring and won’t re-sit properly, I just can’t seem to understand what keeps this from happening, if the spring is removed by example the whole pallet just falls out, would seem some sort of pressure from above or the front would be required to keep it in position.

#8 11 months ago

Assembled now and working again, but I think this is short lived, I believe the tab end of the armature has worn, such that when the spring lifts the tab end up and into position, as shown in the first picture below, within the housing it does not lock-in, and has the ability to slide forward, thus disengaging from the gear drive, seems PBR no longer sells this armature, either raw or assembled, I’ll post a pic of the drawing for reference should anyone else have a similar issue. You can see in the drawing the tan end is slotted, I assume this allows the armature to stay in position when activated.

IMG_4118 (resized).jpegIMG_4118 (resized).jpegIMG_4126 (resized).pngIMG_4126 (resized).png
    #9 11 months ago

Tighten the loop of the spring that goes around the armature so it doesn't pop off. Then get the correct spring.

#10 11 months ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Matt

#11 11 months ago

If you mean the pivoting end of the armature is slipping out of the slot that it should be locked into, perhaps you could just peen those corners a little so the ends stick out a tiny but farther past the ends of the slot (and then clean up the leftmost edges of those spots with a file if needed so the armature still sits exactly where it did before), enough so that the armature will stay put in the slot. My diagram is highly exaggerated but you get the idea.

Pinside_forum_7560814_1 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7560814_1 (resized).png
    #12 11 months ago

You are correct, the “red” in your drawing is the area that’s worn, and I believe the root cause of the slippage, I’ll take a look and see if I can peen these areas as you suggest. Thanks again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-fs-relay-match-stepper?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.