You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot from 2017-10-27 07-54-06 (resized).png
Screenshot from 2017-10-26 22-12-39 (resized).png
gtbsch5 (resized).jpg
20171023_191105 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brightonrock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

The 10's wheel in my Gottlieb Free Fall I think has a broken switch. This switch is normally closed on the other wheels and opens every time the wheel rotates one digit. Can someone confirm this is broken and if so what part number is a good replacement. See picture

2nd problem (or the main one which lead to me finding the possible broken switch) is that the wheel gets stuck at 0. I have uploaded a video...I did try manually putting a jumper in and out to simulate the broken switch working, but it seemed to have the same problem.

20171023_191105 (resized).jpg20171023_191105 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yeah, but good chance the longer switch is broke. I've had to replace
many on the Gottlieb score reels..
That set of contacts should be closed, and open when the score reel
coil is in the energized position..

Ok, I will replace the longer switch that is broken. I just wanted to make sure all wheels (10,100,1000) need that switch. This is my only EM game, so I had nothing to compare it to.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yeah, but good chance the longer switch is broke. I've had to replace
many on the Gottlieb score reels..
That set of contacts should be closed, and open when the score reel
coil is in the energized position..

What is the purpose of that switch? I works exactly how you say.

ALSO

Does anybody have the part number of that switch? I don't have the Gottlieb parts book from that year.

Thanks

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

That switch breaks the circuit to the 10s Relay once
the 10s score reel is energized.
If you e-mail me direct and give me your address,
I'll send a couple switches that'll work..
[email protected]

Thanks for the kind offer. I live in Canada so shipping always sucks. Pinball Resource offered a substitute switch which I will pick up as I need other parts anyway.

Any idea on the wheel getting stuck in the video? Do I need to replace the springs? PB Resource has spring kits.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I think the reel always got stuck on "0" in the
video. I figured you were tapping the Reset Relay
and if so, "0" is were it should stop..
Once you replace that contact, we'll see how
things function..

I was just tapping a target on the play field that awarded 10 points. Once it gets to 9, I continue tapping, but it gets stuck until I manually force it to 1.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I forgot to ask. When the score reel stops, but you're still tapping,
does the 10 point relay stop energizing?

It was getting held in.

I did what ajfclark suggested and cleaned the whole unit. It works fine now (even without the switch). The only problem now is upon a reset the game continues to fire the step unit and the 10's does not get to 0. If I force it to zero, the game rests and plays fine. I have to check the switch is being made properly tonight.

#19 6 years ago

I cleaned all the wheels and added the missing EOT switch on the 10's. The cleaning fixed the wheel getting stuck at 9. The last problem (hopefully) I have with the game is the reset sequence. I'm not sure if it was doing this before, but now it does it all the time. The 10's score wheel will not stop on zero. When the zero switch is made it fires the coil and skips to 1. The game does reset, but it stops on random numbers on the 10s. During game play, it will never stop on 0. If the wheel is on 5 and I score 5, it will skip around to 1 (adding 6). The video shows even if I manually fire the coil, the wheel will skip over 0.

Please see video

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

At the very end of your video (0:30) you show the zero / nine run out switches. It appears that you have the two center/longer blades resting on each other. They are supposed to be separated by one of the metal wireforms with the black heat shrink on them so they don't short together.

Yep, that was it. The wireform was out of place!

Thanks for you help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brightonrock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-free-fall-score-wheel-help?tu=brightonrock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.