Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrsyfy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

A switch is randomly getting triggered...score goes up on its own. Having trouble even isolating which switch is adding to the score. The game doesn't act like this when it's in test mode, so it doesn't seem like a switch is actually physically stuck. I thought it might be a ground issue, but I've done the ground mod to this table.

Video of the problem

#2 11 years ago

I have a problem like this with my cue ball wizard, and I suspected it's the weird little pcb board/s on the targets themselves, which I beleive are only in Gottlieb pins.
I'm not sure it is that problem or not but it's a royal PITA.
I'm interested to see what others say to remedy this

#3 11 years ago

Is it possible to get into the switch test mode to determine exactly which switch is triggering? That would be step number 1. If you are able to identify the switch, my first guess would be that there is some sort of bad or intermittent connection. Best of luck.

#4 11 years ago

and another possibility- when a switch does not activate or can't register, it might trigger another switch to activate- This is true with some system 11 pins like DR DUDE, not sure with Gottliebs but maybe

#5 11 years ago

Okay here is an answer to your problem. I checked mine tonight and I actually have a bad target-If you go in to your switch matrix, you will see that a switch/target is ''locked on'' press the right flipper and it will read right flipper and if it's locked on, it will go right back to the bad switch.
Like I said before, your freddy and my cue ball have targets with mini pcb boards on them- these work nicely when replacing because they just clip out, but when they fail they will just trigger the switch/add points at all random times. So in short, just find the bad target in question and replace. I bet these aren't cheap :/

#6 11 years ago

ya, go into switch test mode it should tell you which one is triggering.

#7 11 years ago

As I explained in the first post, whatever is causing this does not show up in the switch test mode. Everything in the test mode works as normal - no switches are closed that shouldnt be in the first test, and no switches are auto activated in the edge test.

#8 11 years ago

This can happen, but when you see it start happening at random, remove the glass and listen for the sound it's making and match it up with the switch. Almost certain you have a bad pcb switch- The Pinball Resource has them for $10.40
it's also very possible the switch is good, and that the contacts are just too close together and vibration from the pin or flippers, a coil or whatever, are making it register.
My guess is a target on the bank in front of his face

1 week later
#9 11 years ago

Hello. I'm brand new to the forum here. I just added a Freddy to my collection and it's experiencing the exact same behavior as shown in the video at the top of the thread. I'm very interested to see if an explanation can be found. I'm not a technician unfortunately. Replacing bulbs, rubbers and cleaning the machine is the extent of my skills.

Thanks to all here who might provide some insight for us.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from WinslowLeach:

Hello. I'm brand new to the forum here. I just added a FREDDY to my collection and it's experiencing the exact same behavior as shown in the video at the top of the thread. I'm very interested to see if an explanation can be found. I'm not a technician unfortunately. Replacing bulbs, rubbers and cleaning the machine is the extent of my skills.
Thanks to all here who might provide some insight for us.

I'm 99% certain the problem stems from the opto switches. First though, have you gone into your test mode and seen if any switches are closed that should be open or show up activating in the edge test? That's your first step. You can manually go through each switch in the edge test to make sure all are responding as normal. Then you can look under your playfield at the quad opto board while the game is on and make sure none of the four red LED's are on or flickering.

#11 11 years ago

On Sys3 the switch and lamp matrix share the return. This means that switch problems won't show up in test because any lamps which could be causing a switch problem are not lit.

Problems usually happen because either a controlled lamp has been wired backwards or there's a problem with a lamp socket/diode.

Go into the single lamp test and run through every lamp and make sure that no other lamps are ghosting on. If any are, you have to find the bad lamp socket.

Opto switches usually go bad because of cracked/cold solder joints. Hitting the joint with the iron usually solves the problem.

viperrwk

1 year later
#12 10 years ago

sorry to revive this old thread, but i'm experiencing this same issue on my freddy. as buttonmash pointed out in his post, one of the 4 led's on the quad opto board is on solid. curious as to what to do about this. thanks for any help.

fyi, working on a gottlieb is kinda like working on a delorean.

-jon

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

sorry to revive this old thread, but i'm experiencing this same issue on my FREDDY. as buttonmash pointed out in his post, one of the 4 led's on the quad opto board is on solid. curious as to what to do about this. thanks for any help.
fyi, working on a gottlieb is kinda like working on a delorean.
-jon

First thing to do is disconnect the opto in question from the harness and see if the LED on the opto board stays on. If it goes out, the problem is the optos themselves - reflowing the TX/RX on the boards helps. If the light stays on, first thing to check are the big resistors on the opto board. Those are the two things that fail most often for optos on Sys3.

viperrwk

#14 10 years ago

thanks viper!

i'll check that out. i was looking around under the playfield and could only find one opto pair on one VUK. any idea where there may be others? much obliged.

-jon

#15 10 years ago

There's a pair on the boiler room door, a pair on the subway, a pair on the upper left lane and the VUK.

viperrwk

1 year later
#17 8 years ago

I'm getting the same results as the user above posted. Boiler Room opto for Freddy isn't registering. The opto board stays on for led 4. When I pulled the connector from the boiler opto to the board, the led stays on for D4. I pulled out the opto board and all four resistors seem to be checking out good. Any other thoughts?

2 years later
#18 6 years ago

Ok so I have read countless forums about this issue but still can’t fix it. When I start the game and hit a boiler room shot sometimes the door doesn’t stay open completely. Sometimes it does. So sometimes I’m stuck with a half door or a quarter of the door open which means I can’t make the shot if need be. Frustrating. Can anybody help please. Last thing I need to have my Freddy pin running right. Thanks

#19 6 years ago

Try to unplug each Smart Switch one at a time and play a game. A bad one could go off by itself or from vibration during play but would be hard to spot.

1 week later
#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

Try to unplug each Smart Switch one at a time and play a game. A bad one could go off by itself or from vibration during play but would be hard to spot.

You mean the switches that open and close the boiler door?

#21 6 years ago

One of my leds on my opto board stays on red. Where do I start with fixing this??

#22 6 years ago

Ok so was playing my Freddy pinball game and suddenly all lights that stay on around the machine went out. All I have is GI working now. Just had it going 100% changed all out to LEDS and now this. Checked fuses under playfield one was blown changed it and they still don’t come on. Any help please! Thank you

7 months later
#23 5 years ago

Need help on Freddy pinball, looking for a manual, a fuse kit and a replacement glove. Just got one in today to refurbish.

Thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-freddy-tech-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.